Paying a QB $30 Million Is No Longer a Risky Bet—It’s a Bargain

5 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Its crazy how much people are willing to cling to "old school" stuff like this regardless of what the league tells them or how the narratives dont match whats actually happening on the field. 

And thats before you even get to the idea that, by and large, run defense doesnt matter a whole lot relative to other aspects of defensive play. 

Pretty much it seems like that there are so many ways to combat Size wheather it’s tempo with no huddle,traps and alike get big bodies moving one way and counter.

For me Speed is speed you can’t teach that it’s the a real difference maker and the way the rules are now I’m taking speed all day.

1 minute ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

You can't keep mentioning one small LB, and claim that you are right and that I am wrong.  It doesn't work that way.  Is it important to be fast? 100%, but it's not MORE important to be fast than have size. 

Get a gripI haven’t claimed anything I’m just talking about my preference and showing examples of it.

I get it you prefer the hulking tall  slow player over the smaller faster explosive guy sweet that I prefer sweet move on.

Just now, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Not true.  VERY few 280 lb. guys that can play at his level on the interior.

Very few guys of ANY weight play at Aaron Donald's level anywhere on the field. So I'm not sure why weight is the distinguishing factor. Particularly when theres a pretty long history of "undersized defensive tackles" who have played at a very high level for years and years. It isnt just Donald. It's Atkins and Casey and Grady and Sheldon Rankins and Gerald McCoy and Kyle Williams and on and on. Sometimes its Jadeveon Clowney and Michael Bennett kicking inside to cause havoc in the backfield. 

Frankly, the entire "big guys in the middle" baseline philosophy is tremendously flawed in an NFL that matches fronts and packages more than ever before. The distinction is remarkably overblown and more accurately describes the NFL of 30 years ago than it does today's league. 

6 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Pretty much it seems like that there are so many ways to combat Size wheather it’s tempo with no huddle,traps and alike get big bodies moving one way and counter.

For me Speed is speed you can’t teach that it’s the a real difference maker and the way the rules are now I’m taking speed all day.

There are all sorts of fast players that don't amount to anything. It isnt any different than general notions of "size" when it comes to finding players. In general, over the long haul, you're better off with high SPARQ athletes but that isnt going to guarantee you any one player works out to be a serviceable NFL player. Its a marginal gain. 

Just now, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

There are all sorts of fast players that don't amount to anything. It isnt any different than general notions of "size" when it comes to finding players. In general, over the long haul, you're better off with high SPARQ athletes but that isnt going to guarantee you any one player works out to be a serviceable NFL player. Its a marginal gain. 

Personal preference Larry nothing else.

Its what I like when I watch all sport not just NFL.

When deployed and used correctly it’s deadly.

1 minute ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Very few guys of ANY weight play at Aaron Donald's level anywhere on the field. So I'm not sure why weight is the distinguishing factor. Particularly when theres a pretty long history of "undersized defensive tackles" who have played at a very high level for years and years. It isnt just Donald. It's Atkins and Casey and Grady and Sheldon Rankins and Gerald McCoy and Kyle Williams and on and on. Sometimes its Jadeveon Clowney and Michael Bennett kicking inside to cause havoc in the backfield. 

Frankly, the entire "big guys in the middle" baseline philosophy is tremendously flawed in an NFL that matches fronts and packages more than ever before. The distinction is remarkably overblown and more accurately describes the NFL of 30 years ago than it does today's league. 

I never once said height.  I said, "size".  Size matters... Without size you generally have nothing.  Aaron Donald is a freak, and guys like him don't grow on trees.  Size matters every bit as much as speed.  You can be as fast as you want, but if you don't have some size, you're going to get ran over.  

8 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Get a gripI haven’t claimed anything I’m just talking about my preference and showing examples of it.

I get it you prefer the hulking tall  slow player over the smaller faster explosive guy sweet that I prefer sweet move on.

Your hilarious. You were the one replying to me.  You move on...

I assure you, Eddie Lacy did not at any point try to "bulk up." He very much tried to do the opposite and struggled to do so. http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/20756278/seattle-seahawks-eddie-lacy-opens-public-struggle-weight

Some guys get a little bigger as they grow into their bodies w/ an NFL nutrition program. Some guys just get leaner but with more muscle mass in hopes of staving off injury. But by and large RBs arent putting on/losing more than ~10 pounds or so here and there. 

6 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

I never once said height.  I said, "size".  Size matters... Without size you generally have nothing.  Aaron Donald is a freak, and guys like him don't grow on trees.  Size matters every bit as much as speed.  You can be as fast as you want, but if you don't have some size, you're going to get ran over.  

Again speed to power what is it these smaller defensive line man do.If they weren’t able to do the mentioned they’d get killed right.

Speed isn’t just being quick or running fast.

3 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

I dont know what "without size you generally have nothing" means. 

Aaron Donald IS a freak. As is pretty much every other elite NFL player.

I'm not really sure why we need to distill it down to ideas like "size" when "size" doesnt really tell you much at all about how a player is going to turn out. Especially when you're generally talking about the difference of +/- ten pounds on dudes that are 300lbs. ~3% simply isnt that big of a deal. There are "undersized" elite players. There are elite players that are "oversized." The difference between Player X playing at 295 and Player Y playing at 315 cant be distilled down to "size." 

25 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I dont know what "without size you generally have nothing" means. 

Aaron Donald IS a freak. As is pretty much every other elite NFL player.

I'm not really sure why we need to distill it down to ideas like "size" when "size" doesnt really tell you much at all about how a player is going to turn out. Especially when you're generally talking about the difference of +/- ten pounds on dudes that are 300lbs. ~3% simply isnt that big of a deal. There are "undersized" elite players. There are elite players that are "oversized." The difference between Player X playing at 295 and Player Y playing at 315 cant be distilled down to "size." 

I like size more than speed, and I always have.  Does that mean I wouldn't take a smaller, fast player no.  I don't want to rely on smallish players, and I never will.  That's the last I'm going to say about that.  To each his own.  

On 8/28/2019 at 4:52 PM, Boise Falcon Fan said:

You can't use Julio Jones as your example and say that size doesn't matter.  There are a million fast, diminutive receivers that aren't anywhere near Julio.  Pointing out one small line is also not a good example.  The majority of great lineman have size, and no, you can't teach size.  You can help guys maximize their size potential, but you can't teach the fact that they have the ability to grow bigger. 

Yes you can...parents teach that to their kids all the time. If you eat your vegetables, you will grow up big and strong. You can teach someone that they have the ability to grow!!!

On 8/28/2019 at 7:57 AM, FentayeJones said:

Notably, a third group has developed: quarterbacks with mega extensions whose deals became cheap as time elapsed. 

Mega extensions don't become "cheap".  If the perceived market price goes up during the life of the contract extension, the contract will be renegotiated or the player will become disgruntled.  We've seen that time and time again with Julio.

Edited by JeffAtl

2 hours ago, JeffAtl said:

Mega extensions don't become "cheap".  If the perceived market price goes up during the life of the contract extension, the contract will be renegotiated or the player will become disgruntled.  We've seen that time and time again with Julio.

We've seen it once with Julio.

2 hours ago, JeffAtl said:

If they are good and the market value goes up they will hold out. Others will take the money and run (Haynesworth, Bradford) and leave the team on the hook for dead money.