Italian Ice and some food for thought

PittsCreek

Just read an article (link below) that mentioned kicking in the preseason:

"

Kicker concerns

Anxious fan bases across the league get stressed when their kicker misses anything during the preseason. The Vikings were so worried about Dan Bailey that they traded a fifth-round pick to the Ravens for Kaare Vedvik, who might profile as a kicker, a punter, or both. The Jets, who let Pro Bowl kicker Jason Myers leave for the Seahawks in free agency, were so anxious about Chandler Catanzaro that the veteran chose to retire after missing two extra points. Let's not even start with the Bears.

The reality, though, is that it's foolish to base significant decisions about kickers on one regular-season's worth of data when that might amount to 30 field goals and 35 extra points. When you factor in the degree of difficulty for those extra points and some of the shorter kicks, we might be looking at only 20 kicks per year where the league average dips below 90%. It would be like judging a baseball player on 20 at-bats per year or a shooting guard on 20 shots.

Now, imagine making the same judgments about the preseason when a kicker might attempt only six field goals and a similar number of extra points over a four-game stretch. Plenty of teams carry a second kicker and give them a scoring try or two as well. Last preseason, Justin Tucker was 4-of-8 on field goal attempts. Of course, all of the misses were from 50 or more yards out. Once the season began, Tucker was his usual self, going 35-of-39 on field goals, including 5-of-7 on kicks of 50 yards or more. Don't get stressed about what a kicker does on six or eight attempts in August.

The Verdict: Doesn't matter"

Just adding some fuel to the fire.

Which preseason storylines matter? Barnwell's verdict on 11 big ones https://es.pn/2U5rUfG
via @ESPN App http://espn.com/app

Really, really good post.

Unfortunately fans and organizations could care less about a reasoned analysis of data, especially in the NFL where the data upon which to draw conclusions on things is so many times ridiculously small. As a coach, you still have to make decisions with the data that you do have, even if it's basically no data at all. If you end up being that coach that kept the unkown kicker who went 4-8 or 4-9 in preseason, and he ends up costing you a critical game, the wrath of the entire fanbase will fall upon your head quicker than you can say "but he makes this kicks in practice" or "he was great last season". No one will care, and for a coach like Quinn such a perceived gaffe could potentially cost him his job. Hence the tight leash on Kickers on the preseason, even if it makes very little reasonable sense. Better to find a replacement and fail, than to do nothing and have it blow up on your face.

It is not just that Giorgio has missed on his FG's, but that they have not even looked close (and PAT's have not been pretty).  I have wondered if he was drunk or something.

The Falcons should have brought Bryant into preseason along with Giorgio and had them battle it out and then cut one or the other.  They used a small sample size of Giorgio last year and assumed he was ready to overtake Bryant without really knowing for sure.

2 hours ago, shc said:

My assumption is the signing of Walsh is strictly for intel on the Vikings.  No way the FO thought he would be good......right!?!?!?! 

What’s a kicker gotta tell us about a team? This is how the long snapper likes to snap the ball? Lol He also hasn’t been there for a while, so don’t think that’s the reason at all. 

Let me put it like this:

Matt Bryant wasn't drafted by the Falcons. He played for four teams before landing in Atlanta. Clearly, he had struggles. Multiple times. I don't know any kicker that doesn't. 

For all of the "How could we let Bryant go?!" talk, ask why didn't we let him go in 2015 when he missed four kicks. In the regular season. Not a single one was over 50 yards. 

18 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

To be fair even the great Morten Andersen missed a 22 yard FG with the game on the line vs the Jaguars in 1996. Walsh or ice could possibly bounce back. 

Jacksonville made the playoffs thanks to that missed kick too. If Mort makes that the Falcons win and Jacksonville doesn't make the playoffs and make it all the way to the AFC CG.

2 minutes ago, vel said:

Let me put it like this:

Matt Bryant wasn't drafted by the Falcons. He played for four teams before landing in Atlanta. Clearly, he had struggles. Multiple times. I don't know any kicker that doesn't. 

For all of the "How could we let Bryant go?!" talk, ask why didn't we let him go in 2015 when he missed four kicks. In the regular season. Not a single one was over 50 yards. 

They don't understand. I've also said many times that for most kickers, their best years come after age 30. Matt Bryant is a perfect example of that. But there's plenty of other kickers who didn't have their best success until after age 30 like the great Morten Andersen.

1 minute ago, vel said:

Let me put it like this:

Changing kickers is a 'grab a knot in the rope and hold on' moment for most teams. You hope you make the right choice, and that it doesn't cost you a lot of games to validate that choice. I think Matt was slowing down, and I suspect the FO thought it as well. GT looked good in a brief tryout last season so they rolled with it. Time will tell if it was a wise choice or not.

1 hour ago, nomak said:

She'll be the greatest kicker of all time. You saying a woman couldn't handle the job?

Oh under game conditions she might be able to kick PATs and FGs inside about 40 yards.

And the first real hit she took from a blitzing defender, she'd be in traction with a severed spine.  

365 Challenge: Day 120 – Rushed « This Is My Truth Now

1 minute ago, Geneaut said:

Changing kickers is a 'grab a knot in the rope and hold on' moment for most teams. You hope you make the right choice, and that it doesn't cost you a lot of games to validate that choice. I think Matt was slowing down, and I suspect the FO thought it as well. GT looked good in a brief tryout last season so they rolled with it. Time will tell if it was a wise choice or not.

Exactly. He was 100% in his time here, with a 57 yarder made. Nobody complained then. Nobody complained about him being on the roster the rest of the year for no reason. He got the easiest check he's ever earned. 

Now, he misses a couple in preseason, not on shanks, but a block, some distance ones, and one that just stayed straight. Until we see a kicker go 100%, anybody complaining about kicker's missing are wasting their time. Adam Vinatieri is a career 84% kicker. Was hailed as one of the best kickers in the league when he was with the Pats. What did he average? 81%. 6 seasons at 80% or below. 

Yes, Bryant kicked 89% in his time here. But that's still not 100%. He had misses. Some not dissimilar to the ones Tavecchio has missed. But of course that doesn't matter. I want to be mad. 

1 hour ago, octoslash said:

Oh under game conditions she might be able to kick PATs and FGs inside about 40 yards.

And the first real hit she took from a blitzing defender, she'd be in traction with a severed spine.  

Considering most kickers are pretty spindly and under 200lbs and the guy everyone wants back is 5'9 200 lbs and 44 years old I think she'd be ok.

Kickers are the least imposing players in the NFL and if a place kicker takes a huge hit that usually involves a major penalty

5 hours ago, octoslash said:

Hit  by a blitzing defender? When do p.k. Ever get smashed by a defender? Same could be said of Matt Bryant. 

14 hours ago, octoslash said:

I believe you are underestimating the strength and determination of a woman.