Jump to content

QB Matt Ryan Has What It Takes To Be A Hall Of Famer


tobyd77
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi all, here is a topic that I believe will continue to come up. As Atlanta Falcons QB Matt Ryan. Goes into his 12th year. Will he be Hall Of Fame worthy. After his career is over? Pound 4 Pound ATL J.R. Clark. Wanted to share his thoughts about it. And wants to know. Are you tired of people raising the bar? coming up with ways the Matt Ryan will have to jump through. In order to one day get that gold jacket. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, JC Falcon said:

Unless he loses 4+  Superbowls like Jim Kelly (Lawd help us all) he’s not sniffing Canton without a ring. 

Julio is the only one that might without a ring.

 

There are QBs that have lost 1 SB and still made it into the HOF without a ring. There are QBs that never made it to a SB that is in the HOF.

 

If Ryan gets top 5-10 in yards and TDs, then he still gets in. Maybe not 1st ballot, but he gets in. Maybe even one more NFL MVP might do it.

 

A ring will make him a sure 1st ballot with numbers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JC Falcon said:

Unless he loses 4+  Superbowls like Jim Kelly (Lawd help us all) he’s not sniffing Canton without a ring. 

Julio is the only one that might without a ring.

Another MVP and 5-6 years of high level production. Ring or not he will be first ballot HOF.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Look I’m not hating on Ryan, he has the ability to become HOF, but you gotta have a ring unless everyone thinks you are the second coming of Marino.

Nationally people see Ryan as above average throwing to a beast. He doesn’t make the flashy throws like Rodgers and doesn’t do Superman poses when he scores.  I’m glad he’s ours, but fame matters for HOF voting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, JC Falcon said:

Look I’m not hating on Ryan, he has the ability to become HOF, but you gotta have a ring unless everyone thinks you are the second coming of Marino.

Nationally people see Ryan as above average throwing to a beast. He doesn’t make the flashy throws like Rodgers and doesn’t do Superman poses when he scores.  I’m glad he’s ours, but fame matters for HOF voting.

You may have a point, but it's also true that sometimes numbers speak for themselves. It's anyone's guess as to how Matt Ryan's career will be viewed if he never wins a ring, but a lot of fans that didn't get a chance to see Matt Ryan play will look at his numbers and say "first ballot". 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

That’s some funny **** right there. I feel bad for luck though. If potential had HOF, he would be in there.

Luck had a horrible rookie year imo, his post season record isnt anything special and honestly.. His team never gave him a Oline to play behind.. You're right, all the potential in the world.. Guy just got dealt a losing hand

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, JC Falcon said:

Look I’m not hating on Ryan, he has the ability to become HOF, but you gotta have a ring unless everyone thinks you are the second coming of Marino.

Nationally people see Ryan as above average throwing to a beast. He doesn’t make the flashy throws like Rodgers and doesn’t do Superman poses when he scores.  I’m glad he’s ours, but fame matters for HOF voting.

That pretty much sums up how the vast majority of fans and media types feel about Ryan. And, the HOF selection committee are just writers from each NFL city, plus 16 at-large media people.

They aren't going to look all that seriously at "the numbers." And I highly doubt Matt Ryan would stand out to them for any other reason.

It will be a popularity contest first and foremost, with a few who most will vote for in fear of looking like complete morons for NOT voting for the two or three top nominees.

So, I agree with you, Matt really needs a ring. He might make it in some day without it, but he definitely won't be a first-ballot HOF'er if he does get nominated and doesn't have that ring.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, JC Falcon said:

Look I’m not hating on Ryan, he has the ability to become HOF, but you gotta have a ring unless everyone thinks you are the second coming of Marino.

Nationally people see Ryan as above average throwing to a beast. He doesn’t make the flashy throws like Rodgers and doesn’t do Superman poses when he scores.  I’m glad he’s ours, but fame matters for HOF voting.

 

What's wrong with being like Marino? Not everyone can be graced with winning a ring. That's what makes winning one so special.

 

Marino was still a 1st ballot HOF without a ring. His career speaks for itself. One the best passers I've ever seen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

That pretty much sums up how the vast majority of fans and media types feel about Ryan. And, the HOF selection committee are just writers from each NFL city, plus 16 at-large media people.

They aren't going to look all that seriously at "the numbers." And I highly doubt Matt Ryan would stand out to them for any other reason.

It will be a popularity contest first and foremost, with a few who most will vote for in fear of looking like complete morons for NOT voting for the two or three top nominees.

So, I agree with you, Matt really needs a ring. He might make it in some day without it, but he definitely won't be a first-ballot HOF'er if he does get nominated and doesn't have that ring.

 

Another MVP will seal the deal. Most of these guys also vote for HOF.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He must have a ring.  If he doesn't its going to be 50-50 at best.  The numbers will be there, but if you look at this era of football and compare it to the 70s/80s, its totally different.  Every starting QB from this era that is a 10+ year starter will have eye popping numbers.  The MVP is a big plus, but he needs that ring.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think a lot of people forget the 'nostalgia' effect. As Matt nears the end of his career ( hopefully after 4-5 more typical Matt seasons ) the narrative will change a little on him. National media will start inking more stories about his long and fruitful career. As he moves up the career yardage board, career TD, wins, etc the perception will change. Day to day fans ( and HOF voters ) will start thinking about the games they've seen him in ( usually spanking their team in the process ). Every time he breaks some record, or moves up the board passing some HOF'er on the way his name will be going out more and more into the public.

People aren't in that mindset about him now because unless you are a Falcon's fan he's just another NFL QB you may face every other year.

Also, don't forget eventually Brady, Brees, and Big Ben will probably be gone. Matt will be the elder NFL QB statesman.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

 

There are QBs that have lost 1 SB and still made it into the HOF without a ring. There are QBs that never made it to a SB that is in the HOF.

 

It's tough though.  Stabler was an iconic QB of the 70s and it took him over 30 years (and after his death) to get in.

The part that makes it difficult is it is impossible to compare the passing stats of Matt's era to other eras since the rules changed.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

Possibly, easier than a SB ring, but another MVP award wouldn't be easy to get either.

At this point, another MVP might be harder than getting into the HOF.

The voters tend to really favor young guys or nostalgic ones.  Also, the voters probably feel like they "owe" Brees an MVP before he retires.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JeffAtl said:

It's tough though.  Stabler was an iconic QB of the 70s and it took him over 30 years (and after his death) to get in.

The part that makes it difficult is it is impossible to compare the passing stats of Matt's era to other eras since the rules changed.  

 

Ken Stabler's and Pat Bowlen's HOF inductions after their deaths is one of the reasons why the HOF committee is making changes now.

 

They are also deciding to possibly change the amount of inductees to around 20 annually to make sure many players who deserve the honor are able to enjoy it within their lifetime.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...