tobyd77

QB Matt Ryan Has What It Takes To Be A Hall Of Famer

63 posts in this topic

Wow strong emotions here.  Ryan has great stats and hopefully will keep piling those up.

Joe Namath is in the HOF with 1 SB win.  He lost 1 playoff game the only other season he EVER went to the playoffs. He has a career losing % and career Int > career TD.  He was a terrible QB, who made 1 really FAMOUS guarantee and people that weren’t even alive when he played know who he is.

So tell me again how stats are more important than fame?  Rings = fame for Ryan, who (thankfully) doesn’t pose Superman or make outrageous guarantees, or have national Oreo or shoe or yogurt commercials.  

You all have convinced me he might get in on the 10th ballot try at age 65 on stats alone. Hopefully he won’t be another Kenny Stabler (who also has a ring btw).

Get a ring and it’s not a stats and longevity debate is my opinion.

Stray Dog THA GAWD likes this

4 hours ago, JC Falcon said:

Wow strong emotions here.  Ryan has great stats and hopefully will keep piling those up.

Joe Namath is in the HOF with 1 SB win.  He lost 1 playoff game the only other season he EVER went to the playoffs. He has a career losing % and career Int > career TD.  He was a terrible QB, who made 1 really FAMOUS guarantee and people that weren’t even alive when he played know who he is.

So tell me again how stats are more important than fame?  Rings = fame for Ryan, who (thankfully) doesn’t pose Superman or make outrageous guarantees, or have national Oreo or shoe or yogurt commercials.  

You all have convinced me he might get in on the 10th ballot try at age 65 on stats alone. Hopefully he won’t be another Kenny Stabler (who also has a ring btw).

Get a ring and it’s not a stats and longevity debate is my opinion.

Ryan can end up with 75,000 yards and 500 TDs. That gets him in.

8 hours ago, Geneaut said:

If it's so easy to put up stats where are all the other QBs drafted around Matt that have comparable numbers? I'll make it easy. I'll show all the QBs drafted 3 years before Matt and 3 years after ( a seven season spread ). Find the guys who have matched his production. 

The people who vote on HOF ballots don't care.

1 hour ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

The people who vote on HOF ballots don't care.

So you can't answer the question? Got it. 

19 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

So you can't answer the question? Got it. 

Nothing to answer.  You cited stats that won't determine whether he gets in th Hall.  If it were just about performance, Nobis would have been in there years ago, but everyone knows it's a popularity contest.  Spoiler alert: Ryan ain't popular.

5 minutes ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

Nothing to answer.  You cited stats that won't determine whether he gets in th Hall.  If it were just about performance, Nobis would have been in there years ago, but everyone knows it's a popularity contest.  Spoiler alert: Ryan ain't popular.

Spoiler Alert: Matt's going in the HOF. 

13 minutes ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

It'll be quite the accomplishment without a Superbowl ring.

Not really. As pointed out by others a SB ring is not required. 

1 hour ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

It'll be quite the accomplishment without a Superbowl ring.

To your point, mostly journalists vote. It is, indeed, a popularity contest. However, the fact that he is a good guy and is on his way to eclipsing some well known players, they will not just keep him out because of no ring. It will be too difficult for them to justify it on that alone. 

If he never wins a ring, retires, and statistcally lesser QBs playing now with 1 ring get in before him, it will look horrible for the NFL.

Right now, the only ones who get in without question are P. Manning, Brady, Brees and Rogers. Ryan will probably still be playing when they are done. If Eli and Wilson get in before Ryan, it will only make make the process look worse. 

2 hours ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

It’s not the pro bowl. Popularity  don’t matter to get into the hall. Performance, numbers, and can you mention the position without mentioning said player. By the time Matt retires he will Be top 5. That will def put him in the hall. 

Geneaut likes this

18 minutes ago, ADAMSVILLE GYM said:

To your point, mostly journalists vote. It is, indeed, a popularity contest. However, the fact that he is a good guy and is on his way to eclipsing some well known players, they will not just keep him out because of no ring. It will be too difficult for them to justify it on that alone. 

If he never wins a ring, retires, and statistcally lesser QBs playing now with 1 ring get in before him, it will look horrible for the NFL.

Right now, the only ones who get in without question are P. Manning, Brady, Brees and Rogers. Ryan will probably still be playing when they are done. If Eli and Wilson get in before Ryan, it will only make make the process look worse. 

Nah it ain’t a popularity contest. TO was thorn to the voters but his performance numbers couldn’t keep him out. If you perform and was at the top of your position constantly and have the numbers to back that up you can get in the hall without being popular or having a ring. Matt Ryan will retire top 3-5 qb all time in more than 1 category. More than enough to get him in. 

ADAMSVILLE GYM likes this

On 8/27/2019 at 10:04 AM, vel said:

Matt Ryan has to convince media personnel. That's his biggest hurdle. They will be entrenched in how they viewed him as a player, regardless of stats. He's gonna be a long shot. 

I don’t think so. He’s had pro bowls, won an mvp, and been in the SB and put up one of the best all time performances. And by the time he retires will have more pro bowls and contention for mvp. They will not overlook that. They will go  thru his career with a fine toothed comb.