tobyd77

QB Matt Ryan Has What It Takes To Be A Hall Of Famer

63 posts in this topic

Hi all, here is a topic that I believe will continue to come up. As Atlanta Falcons QB Matt Ryan. Goes into his 12th year. Will he be Hall Of Fame worthy. After his career is over? Pound 4 Pound ATL J.R. Clark. Wanted to share his thoughts about it. And wants to know. Are you tired of people raising the bar? coming up with ways the Matt Ryan will have to jump through. In order to one day get that gold jacket. 

24 minutes ago, JC Falcon said:

Unless he loses 4+  Superbowls like Jim Kelly (Lawd help us all) he’s not sniffing Canton without a ring. 

Julio is the only one that might without a ring.

There are QBs that have lost 1 SB and still made it into the HOF without a ring. There are QBs that never made it to a SB that is in the HOF.

If Ryan gets top 5-10 in yards and TDs, then he still gets in. Maybe not 1st ballot, but he gets in. Maybe even one more NFL MVP might do it.

A ring will make him a sure 1st ballot with numbers.

1 hour ago, JC Falcon said:

Unless he loses 4+  Superbowls like Jim Kelly (Lawd help us all) he’s not sniffing Canton without a ring. 

Why would he not get in? Rings don't equate Hall of Fame. Ask Phil Simms 

1 hour ago, JC Falcon said:

Another MVP and 5-6 years of high level production. Ring or not he will be first ballot HOF.

3 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Who is talking about Luck being a HOF'er? Please give me one example other than his mother, im calling bs

That’s some funny **** right there. I feel bad for luck though. If potential had HOF, he would be in there.

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

Look I’m not hating on Ryan, he has the ability to become HOF, but you gotta have a ring unless everyone thinks you are the second coming of Marino.

Nationally people see Ryan as above average throwing to a beast. He doesn’t make the flashy throws like Rodgers and doesn’t do Superman poses when he scores.  I’m glad he’s ours, but fame matters for HOF voting.

6 minutes ago, JC Falcon said:

Look I’m not hating on Ryan, he has the ability to become HOF, but you gotta have a ring unless everyone thinks you are the second coming of Marino.

Nationally people see Ryan as above average throwing to a beast. He doesn’t make the flashy throws like Rodgers and doesn’t do Superman poses when he scores.  I’m glad he’s ours, but fame matters for HOF voting.

You may have a point, but it's also true that sometimes numbers speak for themselves. It's anyone's guess as to how Matt Ryan's career will be viewed if he never wins a ring, but a lot of fans that didn't get a chance to see Matt Ryan play will look at his numbers and say "first ballot". 

Geneaut likes this

23 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

That’s some funny **** right there. I feel bad for luck though. If potential had HOF, he would be in there.

Luck had a horrible rookie year imo, his post season record isnt anything special and honestly.. His team never gave him a Oline to play behind.. You're right, all the potential in the world.. Guy just got dealt a losing hand

29 minutes ago, JC Falcon said:

That pretty much sums up how the vast majority of fans and media types feel about Ryan. And, the HOF selection committee are just writers from each NFL city, plus 16 at-large media people.

They aren't going to look all that seriously at "the numbers." And I highly doubt Matt Ryan would stand out to them for any other reason.

It will be a popularity contest first and foremost, with a few who most will vote for in fear of looking like complete morons for NOT voting for the two or three top nominees.

So, I agree with you, Matt really needs a ring. He might make it in some day without it, but he definitely won't be a first-ballot HOF'er if he does get nominated and doesn't have that ring.

24 minutes ago, JC Falcon said:

What's wrong with being like Marino? Not everyone can be graced with winning a ring. That's what makes winning one so special.

Marino was still a 1st ballot HOF without a ring. His career speaks for itself. One the best passers I've ever seen.

If he remains healthy for 5 more years at current production there will be no way to keep him out. His numbers will simply be too great. If he wins a SB ring, he goes in first ballot. 

24 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

That pretty much sums up how the vast majority of fans and media types feel about Ryan. And, the HOF selection committee are just writers from each NFL city, plus 16 at-large media people.

They aren't going to look all that seriously at "the numbers." And I highly doubt Matt Ryan would stand out to them for any other reason.

It will be a popularity contest first and foremost, with a few who most will vote for in fear of looking like complete morons for NOT voting for the two or three top nominees.

So, I agree with you, Matt really needs a ring. He might make it in some day without it, but he definitely won't be a first-ballot HOF'er if he does get nominated and doesn't have that ring.

Another MVP will seal the deal. Most of these guys also vote for HOF.

1 hour ago, PokerSteve said:

Possibly, easier than a SB ring, but another MVP award wouldn't be easy to get either.

Getting in to HOF is not easy either. 

PokerSteve likes this

If you're worried about not having a ring, forget that nonsense. Ice's numbers will outshine Marino's when it's all said and done 

His first 12 years number are at Payton Manning's level. 

He has already reached HOF status IMHO. I cannot imagine what another 4/5 seasons will do for his legacy.

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

He must have a ring.  If he doesn't its going to be 50-50 at best.  The numbers will be there, but if you look at this era of football and compare it to the 70s/80s, its totally different.  Every starting QB from this era that is a 10+ year starter will have eye popping numbers.  The MVP is a big plus, but he needs that ring.

PokerSteve likes this

I think a lot of people forget the 'nostalgia' effect. As Matt nears the end of his career ( hopefully after 4-5 more typical Matt seasons ) the narrative will change a little on him. National media will start inking more stories about his long and fruitful career. As he moves up the career yardage board, career TD, wins, etc the perception will change. Day to day fans ( and HOF voters ) will start thinking about the games they've seen him in ( usually spanking their team in the process ). Every time he breaks some record, or moves up the board passing some HOF'er on the way his name will be going out more and more into the public.

People aren't in that mindset about him now because unless you are a Falcon's fan he's just another NFL QB you may face every other year.

Also, don't forget eventually Brady, Brees, and Big Ben will probably be gone. Matt will be the elder NFL QB statesman.

PokerSteve likes this

12 hours ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

There are QBs that have lost 1 SB and still made it into the HOF without a ring. There are QBs that never made it to a SB that is in the HOF.

It's tough though.  Stabler was an iconic QB of the 70s and it took him over 30 years (and after his death) to get in.

The part that makes it difficult is it is impossible to compare the passing stats of Matt's era to other eras since the rules changed.  

PokerSteve likes this

11 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

Possibly, easier than a SB ring, but another MVP award wouldn't be easy to get either.

At this point, another MVP might be harder than getting into the HOF.

The voters tend to really favor young guys or nostalgic ones.  Also, the voters probably feel like they "owe" Brees an MVP before he retires.

EJmusic and PokerSteve like this

1 minute ago, JeffAtl said:

It's tough though.  Stabler was an iconic QB of the 70s and it took him over 30 years (and after his death) to get in.

The part that makes it difficult is it is impossible to compare the passing stats of Matt's era to other eras since the rules changed.  

Ken Stabler's and Pat Bowlen's HOF inductions after their deaths is one of the reasons why the HOF committee is making changes now.

They are also deciding to possibly change the amount of inductees to around 20 annually to make sure many players who deserve the honor are able to enjoy it within their lifetime.