Matt Bryant appreciation thread - He isn't coming back folks...OR IS HE?!

Lethal

There has been a lot of talk recently on these boards about our kicker situation, and Matt Bryant's name continues to pop up by many, myself included.  However, based on this tweet, based on the kickers we are bringing in (Walsh, Fry, Koo), based on Matt and his wife social media, he is not in the team's plans for now or the immediate future it seems so I think it's time to bury that story.

Now, unlike others, I personally do not think it is due to injury, or the fact that he can't make a kick without injuring himself (mostly due to the fact that he literally came back last year and was lights out), but I do understand there are financial and age reasons that are probably in play here and I can't say that I disagree.  All we can do now is hope and pray that DQ and staff know what they are doing and ride the right horse to the finish line.  This thread isn't yet another kicker discussion thread, Lord knows we have plenty of those as is, but more of an appreciation thread for one of the best to ever to it, Matt "Money" Bryant.  Would like this thread to serve as the great memories Matt has given us over the years and hopefully some can close that chapter of their fandom and move forward with who we currently have, good, bad or indifferent.

To start, and probably his most memorable kick as an Atlanta Falcon...2013 Playoffs vs Seattle...

falconswin.gif

I still get goosebumps watching this.  It was such an amazing game and an amazing ending.  I could watch this on a loop forever.

1 minute ago, Romfal said:

I think what Quinn was saying is Walsh is here for the week and Tevecchio is getting the start Week 1, similar to how we brought Tevecchio in last preseason.

If you bring Matt in you can't just cut him in 6 days, you bring him in to take the job

Not just that, bringing in Bryant basically tells Tavecchio they are moving on. This gives Tavecchio a chance to compete and get his shlt together. It's a challenge he can win. But if he can't even beat out Walsh, then roll with Walsh. But eventually, you have to move on from Bryant. This is no different than moving on from Roddy. It sucks, but age wins all battles. 

6 minutes ago, vel said:

Not just that, bringing in Bryant basically tells Tavecchio they are moving on. This gives Tavecchio a chance to compete and get his shlt together. It's a challenge he can win. But if he can't even beat out Walsh, then roll with Walsh. But eventually, you have to move on from Bryant. This is no different than moving on from Roddy. It sucks, but age wins all battles. 

If you are giving me a choice of Tavecchio or Walsh, I am taking Georgie every day.  If Walsh steals this spot from him...maaaaaaaaaaaan...

Also I do think it's a bit different from Roddy and mainly due to the position.  The popular take is that Matt was going to injure himself, but he tweaked his hammy.  It happens to players literally half his age and he came back after a couple weeks and was great so I really don't put a ton of stock in the age debate because he showed no real signs of slowing down.  But, I am in the minority there on these boards so /shrug

Total appreciation for the performances of Matt Bryant. Super Clutch, classy dude. Picked himself and his career up from the lowest point, when he lost his son. *hat tip* to him.

I do think its injury based. Can't afford to keep 2 kickers on. 2018 he was hurt, 2017 he has a hamstring injury. Not his fault, father time just does that.

2 minutes ago, athell said:

Little different for me.  With Roddy we had Julio to transition to.  With Matt we have...

I feel you. But we will be ok. There’s a reason the team went a different direction. We may never know. It is what it is. And that doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate Bryant. He’s the best kicker this team has ever had. But I’m a falcons fan first, and a Bryant fan second. Cold? Maybe...but I doubt Bryant cares about falcons fans just like the rest of football players 

Just now, JD dirtybird21 said:

I feel you. But we will be ok. There’s a reason the team went a different direction. We may never know. It is what it is. And that doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate Bryant. He’s the best kicker this team has ever had. But I’m a falcons fan first, and a Bryant fan second. Cold? Maybe...but I doubt Bryant cares about falcons fans just like the rest of football players 

Nah, I get it too.  I would honestly be much more fine with moving on from Matt if his replacement seemed to be doing well.  Which...to the Falcon front office credit, GT was outstanding in spot duty last year.  I'm sure they are just as shocked and disappointed as the rest of us that their back up plan now looks a lil sketchy.

2 minutes ago, athell said:

Nah, I get it too.  I would honestly be much more fine with moving on from Matt if his replacement seemed to be doing well.  Which...to the Falcon front office credit, GT was outstanding in spot duty last year.  I'm sure they are just as shocked and disappointed as the rest of us that their back up plan now looks a lil sketchy.

The Blair Walsh move is surprising as well. That dude completely fell off hard after his Finkle moment

Quinn is sticking his neck out there this year. I hope he succeeds of course, but man the fans are gonna be out for blood the first time a make-able kick for a game winner is missed. Bryant was a legend so it's probably unfair to compare his replacement to his level of greatness, even still it would be great if they got at least into the neighborhood of average. The kicking has been dreadful this preseason.

29 minutes ago, athell said:

If you are giving me a choice of Tavecchio or Walsh, I am taking Georgie every day.  If Walsh steals this spot from him...maaaaaaaaaaaan...

Also I do think it's a bit different from Roddy and mainly due to the position.  The popular take is that Matt was going to injure himself, but he tweaked his hammy.  It happens to players literally half his age and he came back after a couple weeks and was great so I really don't put a ton of stock in the age debate because he showed no real signs of slowing down.  But, I am in the minority there on these boards so /shrug

It's not just the injury, it was non contact at a position that isn't a lot of constant strain. Running routes opens you to more pulled hammies because of the continuous stopping/starting. If he's straining his hammy because of a long kick, it's tough to kick through that. Hence, why he didn't. And at that age he's more prone. 

But beyond that, it's just a fan favorite that is being phased out. Moving on from Roddy sucked for a lot of fans, but going to the SB took away everyone's attention. Tavecchio isn't responding with the same assuring play that he did last year so far in PS. 

Just now, vel said:

It's not just the injury, it was non contact at a position that isn't a lot of constant strain. Running routes opens you to more pulled hammies because of the continuous stopping/starting. If he's straining his hammy because of a long kick, it's tough to kick through that. Hence, why he didn't. And at that age he's more prone. 

But beyond that, it's just a fan favorite that is being phased out. Moving on from Roddy sucked for a lot of fans, but going to the SB took away everyone's attention. Tavecchio isn't responding with the same assuring play that he did last year so far in PS. 

Yeah, I get all that.  I guess I'm just saying one strained hammy doesn't necessarily mean he is going to do it again.  As we get older, you start to have to do more...stretch...ice...heat...I feel like his one pulled hammy could have just as easily been acute and not a tail of things to come...but do recognize that it could be.

And beyond the fan favorite, I think if Georgie was perfect this preseason it would be a non story.  The unrest is due to the struggles not the name imo.

This is my other thing:

How did the Falcons get Matt Bryant to begin with? 

The Bucs cut him after a slump he went through himself. All of this frustration over Italian Ice is no different. Bucs fans were ready for Bryant to leave. Happy. Yet, he comes to Atlanta and becomes a legend. Let's not act like he was fully well received here when we signed him. HeIl, even Adam Vinatieri had a rough go at one point, which is why he's a Colt and not a Patriot lifer. 

It's so unrealistic how people are acting around here. Yes, missing a 39 yarder isn't ideal. But his other misses have been 50+ yarders with one being blocked. He's also made 50+ yarders, during the regular season just last year. Matt Bryant can't play forever. You have to find his replacement. 

I will always hold Money in the highest regard.  Man won so many games for us.  That said, I was one of those who wanted him to just retire to make it easy for the Falcons.  Financials were a concern but I am sure the potential for injury to Matt and having to find a replacement kicker and manipulating the roster to do so loomed large.  The bottom line is that most people clamoring for Bryant to come back and send Georgio packing would be clamoring for Georgio to come back if we kept Money but he got injured again.  I just hope Georgio gets it together as I have even less faith in Blair Walsh to get the job done but I don't really care who is kicking as long as they can hit reliably from 50 and below.  That's a 5-6 yard downgrade from Matt but at least you know the line to gain.

Edited by Monolith2001

1 minute ago, vel said:

This is my other thing:

How did the Falcons get Matt Bryant to begin with? 

The Bucs cut him after a slump he went through himself. All of this frustration over Italian Ice is no different. Bucs fans were ready for Bryant to leave. Happy. Yet, he comes to Atlanta and becomes a legend. Let's not act like he was fully well received here when we signed him. HeIl, even Adam Vinatieri had a rough go at one point, which is why he's a Colt and not a Patriot lifer. 

It's so unrealistic how people are acting around here. Yes, missing a 39 yarder isn't ideal. But his other misses have been 50+ yarders with one being blocked. He's also made 50+ yarders, during the regular season just last year. Matt Bryant can't play forever. You have to find his replacement. 

Absolutely right.  As @Vandy has mentioned, Money spoiled us.  I'm ok riding out with GT.  Walsh is a eyebrow raiser...

There is also the part that while yeah, Matt struggled early, his struggles have nothing to do with Giorgio or Blair or anyone else.  Because Matt turned it around, doesn't mean these boys will...there are plenty of failed kickers that stayed failed.

I do genuinely believe it has more to do with all the misses than it does Matt Bryant at this point.  I think fans were pretty much over it, then the misses started happening, then they see Matt still out there.  I mean, it IS a logical connection, but it's clearly not happening so time to move on and hope for the best.

4 minutes ago, athell said:

Yeah, I get all that.  I guess I'm just saying one strained hammy doesn't necessarily mean he is going to do it again.  As we get older, you start to have to do more...stretch...ice...heat...I feel like his one pulled hammy could have just as easily been acute and not a tail of things to come...but do recognize that it could be.

And beyond the fan favorite, I think if Georgie was perfect this preseason it would be a non story.  The unrest is due to the struggles not the name imo.

He had a back injury as well. That's my point. It wasn't just a hammy or just one thing. He wasn't doing anything but place kicking. He shouldn't be hurt. But he was. I love the guy, but I'm not for carrying two kickers again just because one may not make it a full 16. 

And I agree, the unrest is due to misses. But fans are acting like Bryant was 100%. He's been in the high 80% range for the last 6-7 years. He's missed at least one 50+ yarder every year the last six seasons. He was only perfect from 30-39 yards twice in the same span. But people act like he was kicking 100% and never had to worry about a miss. 

No, he wasn't missing in preseason. I'm not excusing that at all. Not in the slightest. It's just this mysticism around Bryant now, that he was the best kicker of all time, and he should have never been let go because he was "automatic". 

• Lethal changed the title to Matt Bryant appreciation thread - He isn't coming back folks...OR IS HE?!