Ergo Proxy

McGary says he hasn’t been dealing with Afib; clarifies condition

167 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, chopshop said:

This does explain the four week return.  I assume we are talking about a radiofrequency catheter ablation procedure for recurrent V-tach.  This only requires (surprise!) four weeks of anti-coagulation therapy.  The ventricles (big chambers) are less likely to form clots than the smaller ones.  They basically burn the area where they have triangulated the aberrant electrical signal to be originating from.

This is a little concerning to me, as ventricular tachycardia is is more serious than atrial tachycardia.  Strokes being the consequence of atrial versus inadequate systemic perfusion and cardiac arrest with ventricular.  This is surprising, unless he has some kind of structural heart disease.  I would suspect he has recurrent non-sustained (only a few beats) ventricular tachycardia that gives him symptoms (palpitations, chest discomfort, shortness of breath).  They likely tried an anti-arrhythmic medication or two which failed.  Again, we have scant details on his actual condition based on what he's said publicly, so take it all with a grain of salt.  Regardless, glad to see he is back and I hope the procedure worked well and he can get back to crushing D-linemen.

8 hours ago, chopshop said:

Definitely, there are cases of non-sustained V-tach (episodes less than 30 seconds) where patients have no structural disease (congenital anomalies, coronary artery disease, or cardiomyopathy being the most common) and still have the tachycardia!  It is less common, but I agree, based on what little we know, it is likely he has idiopathic NSVT or else a genetic abnormality involving the electrical pathways.  Most of these have a lower risk of becoming sustained or leading to sudden cardiac death.  I doubt if he had a structural problem he would have made it to the NFL level or have been cleared.  Not trying to scare people, just trying to be helpful where I can with what I happen to do for a living :lol:

I mean I was gonna say all this but there's no point now. Thanks for handling my light work.

Ovie_Lover and Ergo Proxy like this

14 minutes ago, droopy1592 said:

When athletes collapse and die from vtach it’s often a hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (sudden cardiac death) where the left ventricle is so enlarged that that a case of vtach causes the heart basically to collapse inward on itself  (for a lack of a short explanation, I’m simplifying) and not allow ANY (or very little) blood to move forward in the heart. This is more than an arrhythmia, and when McGary had a echocardiogram, I’m sure they checked his ejection volumes and fractions to rule this out. This hypertrophic condition is so awful that CPR WILL NOT likely save this persons life or help them at all. You’re basically compressing a heart that’s already compressed into itself. 

see the fat round part? That’s not normal. You can see that on an echo. I know the point of your post, I’m just explaining this so people understand. 

That was a cool read tbh.

RING OF HONOR likes this

35 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Did they not draft him the day before?  He was cleared enough to go #1 overall

"doctors said he had a life-threatening heart ailment and warned that his career was in jeopardy."

doesnt equal cleared

14 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I’m just giving you examples of doctors missing something and it ends up costing the player his life.  You hinted it doesn’t happen.  It does

How many different doctors have seen Kaleb tho?

I didn’t necessarily say doctors don’t miss things myself. If I did indicate that it’s not what I meant.

Kaleb has seen enough doctors with no connection that I’m not concerned that applies in his case.

If there is something undetectable at this point, anyone could die...so why worry?

Ovie_Lover likes this

3 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

I didn’t necessarily say doctors don’t miss things myself. If I did indicate that it’s not what I meant.

Kaleb has seen enough doctors with no connection that I’m not concerned that applies in his case.

If there is something undetectable at this point, anyone could die...so why worry?

If we're worrying about doctors missing things we should worry for every single player out there.

FalconsIn2012 and Ergo Proxy like this

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

"doctors said he had a life-threatening heart ailment and warned that his career was in jeopardy."

doesnt equal cleared

I think there are 2 separate cases here.

The Len Bias kid that died 2 days after being drafted had taken cocaine that caused his death, and of those listed in the thread...is the only guy to die of an irregular heart rate or arrhythmia.

(EDIT: Can be too fast or slow my bad)

So...just no one have a cocaine overdose and we’re good?

Edited by Ergo Proxy
Ovie_Lover and jeffro2000 like this

5 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

No,  not you.  Yo hinted that doctors are infallible

2 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

If we're worrying about doctors missing things we should worry for every single player out there.

Good point.  

8 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

I think there are 2 separate cases here.

The Len Bias kid that died 2 days after being drafted had taken cocaine that caused his death, and of those listed in the thread...is the only guy to die of an irregular heart rate or arrhythmia.

(EDIT: Can be too fast or slow my bad)

So...just no one have a cocaine overdose and we’re good?

Yeah guys shouldn't overdose on cocaine if they have a heart condition. It's dangerous.

2 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

When did I do this exactly?

2 hours ago, Yo_Lover said:

They really act like his doctors would say "yeah you might die but go play and we'll see what happens".

Just now, FalconsIn2020 said:

Lol. Cocaine overdose = missed diagnosis

And a tongue in cheek statement about doctors ignoring medical conditions = doctors never miss medical conditions.

Only in your world. 

From some of the posts I've seen @droopy1592 @chopshop, there are indeed quite a few of us on this board who do know our s*** medically speaking. Yes, each individual responds differently to certain things. But, vtach is vtach, SVT is svt, vfib is vfib, and a fib is a fib. They are what their names imply and all have their own individual associated symptoms. Vtach if sustained will eventually degress to pulselessness if untreated. However some people can have short runs of vtach and never feel it. Vtach is described as 3 or more premature ventricular contractions (skipped beats) in a row. It has been said that he has history of wpw which is not structural in nature, but has to do with the electrical pathways in the heart. Long post to say, he is treated, is released, and will probably be ok.

Ovie_Lover likes this

9 minutes ago, Jpowers said:

Some of y'all will seriously argue over anything. And I say that as an argumentative person.....but good lawd.

I truly apologize. Don't really mean to be argumentative because that is something I dislike on this board. Just gets your dander hearing other people speak about something you've done as a career for 40 years. Also something that I personally suffer from. Disabled now because of it.

11 minutes ago, Williamb said:

I truly apologize. Don't really mean to be argumentative because that is something I dislike on this board. Just gets your dander hearing other people speak about something you've done as a career for 40 years. Also something that I personally suffer from. Disabled now because of it.

I'm about 99.9% sure he isn't talking about you big dawg. You're good :lol:

vitaman likes this

15 minutes ago, Williamb said:

It wasn't you I was speaking on my man.

Vandy and Ovie_Lover like this

Heart condition + 1st rd pick + losing picks to move back to the first rd to get him do not mix.

It really is that simple.

44 minutes ago, Jpowers said:

Some of y'all will seriously argue over anything. And I say that as an argumentative person.....but good lawd.

I want to clarify something since this has been getting said a lot. When 12 post false information to mislead people am I supposed to just ignore it?

Honest question because I've been getting a lot of flack for this. If y'all want me to just not reply when he is lying I will. I just thought y'all would want to know when its ********.

2 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Heart condition + 1st rd pick + losing picks to move back to the first rd to get him do not mix.

It really is that simple.

Every medical person on this board says he's OK, all the medical experts who've commented on this say McGary will be fine. He was cleared by the NFL and by the Falcons. He's back practicing after a month, his last procedure before this one was 2 years ago. Wouldn't be surprised if he started week 1.

There really doesn't seem to be any reason to worry about his health. If you want to, or need to, feel free.

11 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Every medical person on this board says he's OK, all the medical experts who've commented on this say McGary will be fine. He was cleared by the NFL and by the Falcons. He's back practicing after a month, his last procedure before this one was 2 years ago. Wouldn't be surprised if he started week 1.

There really doesn't seem to be any reason to worry about his health. If you want to, or need to, feel free.

Say it louder for the others in this thread.

ATL Fan in the DMV and vitaman like this

That’s what happens when you let Glanville and Cameron take the rookies to The Varsity! Yes that’s sarcasm!