Tavecchio - Is it him or the hold?

innovativefx

I've watched all of his kicks and he definitely is a good kicker but is just missing lately for some reason. I wonder if it is the hold, and someone else pointed out that the hold was leaning forward and even to the side on one the misses.  The reason may be due to the DIRECTION.  He kicks "left-footed" which is not the norm for any holder. Bosher has done a good job as a holder for several years - always for "right-footed" kickers. It is completely backwards what he has to do now - like trying to throw a football with your non-dominate arm.

I hope that the Falcons could maybe experiment with Shaub holding during this 4th game also.  A football that is leaning 2 inches off could make the mark off by 2 feet or more for a 40 yard field goal. I would go one step further and put Etling as the holder if he is going to be around on the final 53... look what the Saints do with their jack of all trades Tayson Hill.

25 minutes ago, innovativefx said:

I've watched all of his kicks and he definitely is a good kicker but is just missing lately for some reason. I wonder if it is the hold, and someone else pointed out that the hold was leaning forward and even to the side on one the misses.  The reason may be due to the DIRECTION.  He kicks "left-footed" which is not the norm for any holder. Bosher has done a good job as a holder for several years - always for "right-footed" kickers. It is completely backwards what he has to do now - like trying to throw a football with your non-dominate arm.

I hope that the Falcons could maybe experiment with Shaub holding during this 4th game also.  A football that is leaning 2 inches off could make the mark off by 2 feet or more for a 40 yard field goal. I would go one step further and put Etling as the holder if he is going to be around on the final 53... look what the Saints do with their jack of all trades Tayson Hill.

Who was the holder on the kicks he made last year? 

2 hours ago, innovativefx said:

It is him! 

He will get it together, really think he will become one of the better kickers in the League. Just stick with him. Falcons have not brought in any serious contenders, so they must still believe it will be his job.

Kickers are a funny breed. Think if he would have had to fight for the job, he would have performed well, but just handing him the job like the Falcons did has really messed with him. He could not believe the job was really his, and wanted to prove to himself that it really wasn't. Should be OK now that he has competition. We will see!

5 minutes ago, innovativefx said:

I was just pointing out holding for a left footed kicker is quite a bit of a different hold. 

Some of you need to relax a little. 

I know the holder was the same last year. It is still harder to hold a way that is opposite. 

I linked a thread in my previous post. Check It out. The hold is inconsistent form what I’ve seen and tavvechio’s plant foot is further from the ball on the left hash. He addressed It in an interview

27 minutes ago, NWFALCON said:

I linked a thread in my previous post. Check It out. The hold is inconsistent form what I’ve seen and tavvechio’s plant foot is further from the ball on the left hash. He addressed It in an interview

Thanks. I knew it read it somewhere. 

Im not passing the blame but just hope it’s a small issue

9 minutes ago, innovativefx said:

Thanks. I knew it read it somewhere. 

Im not passing the blame but just hope it’s a small issue

Hopefully it’s something that is easily fixed. But if it’s part of his routine that he’s been practicing since the off season, I don’t know if It will mess up other parts of his kicking routine by changing the location of the plant foot. Hopefully he gets it fixed. 

It's entirely possible for the holder to be the same but the hold change.

Pitchers have to re-adjust their arm slot all the time.  Golfers have to adjust their swing plane.  People are fallible.  I'm not saying it's the hold, but I am saying the idea that just because it's the same guy it must be the same hold isn't true.