Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BlazerSlayer

Sudden retirements

104 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

I wouldn't say he did nothing. 4 playoff appearances in 6 years, comeback player of the year, and a candidate for MVP is hardly nothing. Yes he signed a contract but would you want a player out there that has no desire to play? He keeps getting hurt and he's tired of it. I can't say I blame him. It's his choice. At the end of the day he felt he had to do what was best for him. That's his right.

I don't blame anyone for any choice they make for themselves.

I just don't blame the fans for being pissed off about it is all.

JeffAtl, Statick and Godzilla1985 like this

I feel Luck is free to make his own decision, as is any player. But the timing does not sit well with me. He needed to tell them early in the off season, so they had time to adjust. If it only occurred to him lately, as he's saying, then maybe he should just have played this year and then walk away.

I think Calvin Johnson was The one that got me the most off guard. I was kinda too young to live through Barry Sanders retirement to know the full effect. I just knew he was on the cover of Madden then he wasn’t lol

Until we're faced the kind of pain Luck said he was tired of dealing with, we should respect his decision.  The man was thinking about his future wellbeing and family. As far as the timing, is there ever a good timing when it comes to fans?

17 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

I was young and don’t remember back that far at all so I have no clue. If they did, they were pathetic too

I remember. It was the last game I got to watch that year before I deployed and it turned my stomach.

ya_boi_j likes this

Luck could have just kept saying his ankle was in pain and he couldn’t play all year and nobody could prove otherwise.  If he stayed injured on the bench all season - does he somehow “earn” that $25M then?

Meant to add I respect him more for telling Colts and his team he is walking away instead of doing the above - so they and Jacobs can really move on and not keep thinking he’s going to reappear in December and save their season. 

1 hour ago, nomak said:

Until we're faced the kind of pain Luck said he was tired of dealing with, we should respect his decision.  The man was thinking about his future wellbeing and family. As far as the timing, is there ever a good timing when it comes to fans?

That's a "never".

While I do sympathize with Luck, his timing stinks. He should have made that decision before the draft. From the fan perspective, you're always going to get the emotional reaction, especially when your franchise QB retires right before you think your team has all the pieces to make a SB run.

17 hours ago, JeffAtl said:

Athletic QBs that like to extend plays tend to get beat up a lot though.  Live by the sword, die by the sword.

I wouldn't be surprised is Cam Newton is next with all the health issues and injuries he is dealing with.

JeffAtl likes this

22 hours ago, Jesus said:

Chris Borland was a big name from a few years ago. Retired after rookie season from the Niners because he was concerned about his brain.

This is gonna become the norm as more players realize the health concerns. Imagine what will happen if they discover a method to find CTE in living people. Might be a mass Exodus.

The step up in competition and the level of violent contact goes up at every level you proceed to in football. You might be the best at your position in high school and be shocked at how mundane you are at the collegiate level. And to step on the field with the best in the world is probably unbelievable. Like the marines ' the few, the proud' but still we can't imagine just how fierce it is in the pro's. 

3 hours ago, JC Falcon said:

Luck could have just kept saying his ankle was in pain and he couldn’t play all year and nobody could prove otherwise.  If he stayed injured on the bench all season - does he somehow “earn” that $25M then?

That's why this is a cautionary tale regarding signing bonuses that are paid upfront.  The amount of the signing bonus was based on a 6 year deal.  By paying it out front, the Colts painted themselves into a corner.

The Cowboys are going through the same thing now with Zeke.  He got his $16M signing bonus (really a $4 million per year over 4 years) in cash upfront and now he isn't counting that money.

16 hours ago, LouDog said:

I wish I could suddenly retire

You can do whatever you want...unless you are in indentured servitude. 

Granted, retiring with 50 million plus dollars in worth makes it easier than most...

4 hours ago, Statick said:

That's a "never".

While I do sympathize with Luck, his timing stinks. He should have made that decision before the draft. From the fan perspective, you're always going to get the emotional reaction, especially when your franchise QB retires right before you think your team has all the pieces to make a SB run.

There is no "should have".  These things are personal and individual.  Besides the overarching point in that he has been considering it for a long time, which the team knew about, and was literally trying to come back and had to rehab yet another injury.

And to be honest, as a player, screw the fans.  The fans prove over and over again how little they actually care about the players.  Why should the players care about the fans?

17 hours ago, Malachore said:

I don't blame anyone for any choice they make for themselves.

I just don't blame the fans for being pissed off about it is all.

Same. Think about the season ticket holders that just spent thousands of dollars, only to be let down 2 weeks before the season starts. I think it’s perfectly reasonable for fans to be mad. 

Malachore, Godzilla1985 and athell like this

23 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Same. Think about the season ticket holders that just spent thousands of dollars, only to be let down 2 weeks before the season starts. I think it’s perfectly reasonable for fans to be mad. 

Yea, if Matt up and retired now I think we would all be pretty upset about it for a minute.

I feel like they did Luck dirty though.  The team has known about it.  Luck was actively trying to come back from an injury and why would he actively try to come back from an injury if he was planning on retiring all along?  The presser was set for yesterday, then it got leaked Saturday while at the game.  

If anything, makes me think about how much pain and suffering the dude has been through over the years because those horrible lines.

1 hour ago, JeffAtl said:

That's why this is a cautionary tale regarding signing bonuses that are paid upfront.  The amount of the signing bonus was based on a 6 year deal.  By paying it out front, the Colts painted themselves into a corner.

The Cowboys are going through the same thing now with Zeke.  He got his $16M signing bonus (really a $4 million per year over 4 years) in cash upfront and now he isn't counting that money.

They could have held him up for remaining bonus but didn't.

Luck, 29, could have owed the Colts $12.8 million as a prorated portion of the $32 million signing bonus the Colts gave him when he signed his five-year extension in 2016, and another $12 million in roster bonuses he was paid in March. But Indianapolis waived its right to recoup the money and is allowing Luck to keep it all, after the poundings he’s taken and all he’s given to the franchise. It is, in an official way, his parting gift.

Not everyone is made for football, and some guys just have bad luck (no pun).. I remember when we started jr high football, our little league coach had become the jr coach that year.. He's son was in my class and alot of us grew that summer.. Jr high football was 6th grade to 9th then.. The coaches son was playing backup qb and he put him in with the ones (9th graders) first hit he took knocked his breath out and when he got up from gasping for air, he was a basketball ball player from that time on.. 

athell likes this

3 minutes ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

The greatest football player of all time, Jom Brown, retired in his 20's.  Just sayin'.

Just googled this name. Who the **** is Jom Brown :ninja:

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this