Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BlazerSlayer

Sudden retirements

104 posts in this topic

With Luck and Worrilow announcing their respective retirements during training camp, it reminded me of Peria Jerry doing the same here. Admittedly that's not on the same level as central to team success as Luck is, but it still hurt the Falcons as Jerry was expected to be a contributor on a somewhat weak def line.

I wonder what PJ went on to do?

egoprime II likes this

Chris Borland was a big name from a few years ago. Retired after rookie season from the Niners because he was concerned about his brain.

This is gonna become the norm as more players realize the health concerns. Imagine what will happen if they discover a method to find CTE in living people. Might be a mass Exodus.

3 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Chris Borland was a big name from a few years ago. Retired after rookie season from the Niners because he was concerned about his brain.

Wasn't Borland retiring just a year after Patrick Willis did so? 

arrogantBEAST likes this

2 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

I tell ya one thing, Indy fans are overly pathetic and I honestly hope they have a minimum success for a very long time. 

Definitely pretty bad. As much as the Falcons have disappointed in the past as a team and individually I could never see myself booing the team or a player.

Just now, BlazerSlayer said:

Wasn't Borland retiring just a year after Patrick Willis did so? 

Probably. 

Just now, red falcon said:

Definitely pretty bad. As much as the Falcons have disappointed in the past as a team and individually I could never see myself booing the team or a player.

That **** was pathetic. Karma is gonna bite them hard

papachaz, Emmitt, NeonDeion and 2 others like this

1 minute ago, ya_boi_j said:

That **** was pathetic. Karma is gonna bite them hard

It kinda looks like it did 

Those are suppose to be the intelligent fans. Always would hear about how quiet they were when manning would audible on the field. Probably just had quiet signs up.

Ricky Williams.  He retired but sadly had to come back because the Dolphins went after his money.

Sadly most of these guys make horrible decisions with their money and are broke within a couple of years after retiring.

egoprime II and papachaz like this

11 minutes ago, red falcon said:

On a personal level I would never do that but Falcons fans did cheer when Chris Chandler got hurt so Vick could play. 

24 minutes ago, BlazerSlayer said:

With Luck and Worrilow announcing their respective retirements during training camp, it reminded me of Peria Jerry doing the same here. Admittedly that's not on the same level as central to team success as Luck is, but it still hurt the Falcons as Jerry was expected to be a contributor on a somewhat weak def line.

About Jerry, his last season he had like 4 sacks.  Pretty decent for a DT.  He wanted to parlay that into a decent contract but no one offered him one.   Falcons brought Jerry back for I think it was like.... 1.5 million for one year?   A lot less than Jerry wanted.   I think that's why Jerry retired.

Afterward Jerry got pulled over by law enforcement, and in his car they found guns and drugs.   It was reported in the news, but I dunno what happened after that.

Just now, egoprime II said:

About Jerry, his last season he had like 4 sacks.  Pretty decent for a DT.  He wanted to parlay that into a decent contract but no one offered him one.   Falcons brought Jerry back for I think it was like.... 1.5 million for one year?   A lot less than Jerry wanted.   I think that's why Jerry retired.

Afterward Jerry got pulled over by law enforcement, and in his car they found guns and drugs.   It was reported in the news, but I dunno what happened after that.

Thanks for the update. You make a good point on the contract- he may have felt it wasn't worth it.

egoprime II likes this

Posted (edited)

40 minutes ago, BlazerSlayer said:

Working at McDonald's.

Seriously though...

If TD and Smith or whoever ,sat down with that big dumb Snorlax , and  thought hey !we should draft him immediately! They should be fired and banded from the NFL. His glass knees weren't a secret, miss fans knew it.. him retiring on hard knocks just came across as pitiful. Shouldn't have been televised. 

Edited by THEHEADCOACH

13 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Ricky Williams.  He retired but sadly had to come back because the Dolphins went after his money.

Sadly most of these guys make horrible decisions with their money and are broke within a couple of years after retiring.

Ricky Williams first retirement shocked me right when it happened but after finding out the type of guy he is, it wasn't really all that shocking at all after the fact.

He's not a normal thinking person like that. He's one of those peace tranquility only need God's green earth, weed, and one goat type of dude.

20 minutes ago, Jesus said:

This is gonna become the norm as more players realize the health concerns. Imagine what will happen if they discover a method to find CTE in living people. Might be a mass Exodus.

I dunno….there are other hazardous occupations out there that pay far less than a pro player makes.

And before the sport of football is put out to pasture, boxing would need to go first.

I am so hoping I never live to see soccer become popular in this country....

16 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Jerry couldn’t stay healthy, just like Luck. IMO there’s no point in trying to continue fighting a battle you can’t win. Not only that, Jerry says he lost passion for football. No point in continuing to try and do something only for a check. 

People do it everyday so.....

egoprime II likes this

Just now, Diggable Birds said:

No ****. I work with several that do. I say the same thing about them because they’re the same group of people who do nothing but complain all day and they barely do anything 

Diggable Birds likes this

Just now, Diggable Birds said:

Not everyone is like that.

Barry Sanders, Jim Brown, and Calvin Johnson all left when their desire to play wasn't there. Some see that just calling it a career is more honorable than pulling an Emmitt Smith(who robbed the Cardinals blind).

ya_boi_j and slick0ne like this

10 minutes ago, BlazerSlayer said:

Thanks for the update. You make a good point on the contract- he may have felt it wasn't worth it.

Long term deals with decent bonus\guaranteed money is what these players want after their rookie contract ends.  If Jerry had balled out the next season, maybe he gets that.  

But Jerry was about to turn 30.  And for most players, that's when the wear and tear catch up to them.

4 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

I dunno….there are other hazardous occupations out there that pay far less than a pro player makes.

And before the sport of football is put out to pasture, boxing would need to go first.

I am so hoping I never live to see soccer become popular in this country....

There will always be fresh meat. But there will be many who will realize it isn't worth it. Athletes are treated strangely in this country. As soon as you are discoverd to have talent, you are used and abused until there is nothing left. Sure there is money but a very small percentage sees it. Imagine what parents will do once they see their high school kid showing signs of CTE.