Jump to content

A different look at Italian Ice.


NWFALCON
 Share

Recommended Posts

Everyone loves looking at highlights but I saw down and looked at some lowlights when It comes to our kicker.

Here is an article that mentions how the hold affects a field goal accuracy.  I chopped up the article and added a few more to the end of this post along with photos  

Wide Left: Study Shows that Holders Play Key Role

NFL and college football teams are back in action, and their success often hinges on the accuracy of their field goal kickers. When the field goals are made, kickers are heroes. When they miss, they’re goats. But a study by aerospace researchers shows that kickers aren’t always at fault – the way the ball is held 

Using the model, the researchers found that if the ball is leaning to the left or right, it will affect the trajectory of the football. And the more it leans, the more pronounced the effect, which is the result of complex interactions between the rotational motion and aerodynamic forces acting on the football.

For example,” Mazzoleni says, “if the ball is tilted 20 degrees to the left for a 45 yard field goal attempt, it will sail up to 3.5 feet to the left before hooking back to the right.” And any football fan can tell you that 3.5 feet can be the difference between winning and losing. (Just ask the University of Nebraska.)

Another snippet about kicking here. 

Plant Foot
 Force and orientation of plant foot are crucial
 Plant should be about a foot’s length away from the ball and directionally facing the target
 Incorrect placement of the plant foot will drastically affect both distance and direction of the ball. 


 

1. The Hold

Everyone knows the laces should point away from the kicker's foot, but pros like Henery demand that the ball be standing straight up too. Tilting it lowers the center of mass, making it tougher to strike the sweet spot, says biomechanics professor Jeff Hawks, who studied Henery's technique with colleague Chase Pfeifer at the University of Nebraska, Lincoln.

With this information fresh in your mind, look at the two pictures I attached.  The black jersey kick is the boomer he nailed against the Giants and the other is the kick was the miss from yesterday.  

I went thru this years preseason misses and compared them to the makes.  I see an increased distance between his plant foot and the ball compared to last year. I also see Bosher holding the ball angled forward, angled left, and angled back a bit.  

He may be inside his own head but the inconsistency in the holds could be a factor as well.

 

 

 

2127B82D-4DBB-4E42-9091-F449985F06B5.jpeg

7FABA2E9-D9A7-43E9-B28A-9B82EE369DE8.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a former kicker, minute details of the hold only really matter at long distances. The hold in picture 2 shouldn't be that big of an issue and also people who blame the laces are just looking for an excuse. Laces are annoying at times and can reduce distance, but often aren't an issue at all. I think Vech will be fine, but yeah unless the hold is completely botched it isn't very difficult to overcome.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

As a former kicker, minute details of the hold only really matter at long distances. The hold in picture 2 shouldn't be that big of an issue and also people who blame the laces are just looking for an excuse. Laces are annoying at times and can reduce distance, but often aren't an issue at all. I think Vech will be fine, but yeah unless the hold is completely botched it isn't very difficult to overcome.

How about the plant foot? Those pictures are pretty close but some of the kicks he’s missed has him noticeably further from the ball once it’s freeze framed. 

There are multiple universities that did breakdowns on the physics involved and plant foot and angle of the ball on the hold are things that adversely affect the path of the ball and lower the “sweet spot” available for the kicker to strike. 

Edited by NWFALCON
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Falcanuck said:

As a former kicker, minute details of the hold only really matter at long distances. The hold in picture 2 shouldn't be that big of an issue and also people who blame the laces are just looking for an excuse. Laces are annoying at times and can reduce distance, but often aren't an issue at all. I think Vech will be fine, but yeah unless the hold is completely botched it isn't very difficult to overcome.

Ray finckle would like a word with you sir!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, NWFALCON said:

How about the plant foot? Those pictures are pretty close but some of the kicks he’s missed has him noticeably further from the ball once it’s freeze framed. 

There are multiple universities that did breakdowns on the physics involved and plant foot and angle of the ball on the hold are things that adversely affect the path of the ball and lower the “sweet spot” available for the kicker to strike. 

The plant foot is easily the most important aspect. In terms of power and accuracy. And yeah, definitely to hit longer kicks you're going to need a good hold. But nothing short of 40-45 yards should be an issue for these guys.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

I asked this early on are the long snapper and holder the same as last year.

I know Bosher has been the holder for the last few years not sure if Harris is still the long snapper though?

And I answered your question and told you yes, Josh Harris is still the long snapper as he has been for nearly 10 years now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Falcanuck said:

The plant foot is easily the most important aspect. In terms of power and accuracy. And yeah, definitely to hit longer kicks you're going to need a good hold. But nothing short of 40-45 yards should be an issue for these guys.

What are your thoughts?

https://ibb.co/9tXZzBM

 

 

Edited by NWFALCON
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Falcanuck said:

As a former kicker, minute details of the hold only really matter at long distances. The hold in picture 2 shouldn't be that big of an issue and also people who blame the laces are just looking for an excuse. Laces are annoying at times and can reduce distance, but often aren't an issue at all. I think Vech will be fine, but yeah unless the hold is completely botched it isn't very difficult to overcome.

A Canadian kicker huh. You must've been popular in your locker room 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...