Osiruz

Falcons named one of the landing spots for Clowney

543 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Vandy said:

Clowney would be more like Poe, an all-in, one-year rental. 

Poe was a very underratedly good signing for us. As you know, falcons came a lot closer to going back to SB in 2017 than peeps realize.

And our window is closed tighter now than it was in 2017. 

Why do you feel our window is smaller now? I think we have a better roster and coaching staff than i n 2017. 

2 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Why do you feel our window is smaller now? I think we have a better roster and coaching staff than i n 2017. 

Our window is open until we lose some of our better players due to the inability to pay them under the strictures of the cap. Not speaking for Vandy here but our window is smaller because we got a benefit from having players like Debo, Free, Neal and especially Grady playing on rookie deals. Now that three of them have resigned, and with the knowledge that we're going to pay Neal a hefty chunk of change, we don't have as much money to spend on other players. Especially with the knowledge that Campbell is gone next season and in need a replacement.

Vandy and Schwarzwald like this

22 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

See above by Jay. Also the simple math because Julio/Free/Ryan are two years closer to the end of their careers. 

JayOzOne and FalconsIn2012 like this

10 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

Our window is open until we lose some of our better players due to the inability to pay them under the strictures of the cap. Not speaking for Vandy here but our window is smaller because we got a benefit from having players like Debo, Free, Neal and especially Grady playing on rookie deals. Now that three of them have resigned, and with the knowledge that we're going to pay Neal a hefty chunk of change, we don't have as much money to spend on other players. Especially with the knowledge that Campbell is gone next season and in need a replacement.

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

See above by Jay. Also because Julio/Free/Ryan are two years closer to the end of their careers. 

Think the window is open as long as Ryan is playing at a high level. Have to keep drafting well, but need to do that anyway.

Vandy likes this

4 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Think the window is open as long as Ryan is playing at a high level. Have to keep drafting well, but need to do that anyway.

Yeah, but unfortunately that’s not infinite. He’s two years closer to the end of his great career.....whenever that may be....than he was two years ago. That’s all I was saying.

JayOzOne and falconidae like this

37 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Agree completely. TD/DQ did a solid job on DL. Very impressive considering the limited cap space, all the while locking down Debo/Jarrett and eventually Julio.

If raw DL Cominsky and Senat contribute anything, that will be gravy. 

Frankly Slobby, I would really love to have Clowney, but team did such a solid job in building rotation we just aren’t that desperate to make that trade. 

That is what I was trying to say yesterday when I said I wouldn't trade Sanu for Clowney. Based on what I know for the 2019 season, Sanu is more important to the Falcons success than trading for Clowney would be.

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

29 minutes ago, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

Geez! They want a lot for Clowny.

I don't know about this potential deal, even as a 'what if'.

Well Beez is gone next season. Ty looks.expendable, and who cares about Brian Hill. Only reservation is.Sanu. I think hes more valuable to our offensive success this year than Clowney would be to our defensive. If we had last years DL then ofcourse hed be worth it. If they would take Beez, Ty, Hill and a 3rd id pull the trigger as all 3 of those will be gone next season and we. Could potentially extend Clowney if: Grace/Foye make Campbell expendable and Graham comes on and by next season makes it more.palatable to let Hooper hit market. Hooper would give us a 3rd rnd comp in 2021. 

3 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

That is what I was trying to say yesterday when I said I wouldn't trade Sanu for Clowney. Based on what I know for the 2019 season, Sanu is more important to the Falcons success than trading for Clowney would be.

I tend to.agree but clowney and Takk bookending Jarrett and.Crawford would be a sick 4 man.rush. Sanus contributio ns in the running game are overlooked although hes a more effective blocker than many of the leagues tight ends. Gage could replace most of his receiving numbers  but noone on the roster can replace his downfield blocking contributions. I f we had last seasons.DL than C!owney would help us more than.Sau but we have a solid group that can get pressure with a 4 man rush. I really think it would would be a wash. Now Beez, Ty,Brian Hill is a different kettle of fish.

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, sluggo said:

According to this today article, Atlanta is NOT a landing spot for Clowney:

Link to Article

I think.Atlanta showed interest but cooled off. 

and cap cant be an issue for us if it isnt for Philly. They are over the cap right now for 2019.

Edited by ATLSlobberKnockers

27 minutes ago, Vandy said:

See above by Jay. Also the simple math because Julio/Free/Ryan are two years closer to the end of their careers. 

Cant disagree with the father time argument. However I feel Foye and Grace make Campbell expendable next season. Im not concerned with the cap.stuff anymore as.philly is pursuing Clowney and they are 3+ mil over the cap right now. Really hope he doesnt go there. 

i think the window is actually more open than it was in 2017, even though the rate of it closing is quicker than it was in 2017 if that makes sense.

Vandy, JayOzOne and falconidae like this

21 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Cant disagree with the father time argument. However I feel Foye and Grace make Campbell expendable next season. Im not concerned with the cap.stuff anymore as.philly is pursuing Clowney and they are 3+ mil over the cap right now. Really hope he doesnt go there. 

i think the window is actually more open than it was in 2017, even though the rate of it closing is quicker than it was in 2017 if that makes sense.

It does in that we are a better team, personnel and coaching wise. 

I really believe this is our year......which is why I said what I said no more "waiting till next year', our time is now. 

Spts1 and ATLSlobberKnockers like this

9 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I really believe this is our year......which is why I said what I said, no more "waiting till next year', our time is now. 

I agree. We will be a top 5 offense with a top 12 defense at worst, top 1-3 offense , and top5-10 defense at best. Either of those can get you a ship with a little luck along the way

Vandy and falconidae like this

42 minutes ago, sluggo said:

According to this today article, Atlanta is NOT a landing spot for Clowney:

Link to Article

Most of us with common sense have known this, cant believe this speculation is even still going 

22 minutes ago, Vandy said:

So that great NFL insider "Yardbarker" is our hot source of info in here now. 

But you have alot of football sense.. Surely you dont believe we even considered Clowney right? 

48 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

But you have alot of football sense.. Surely you dont believe we even considered Clowney right? 

No Slummy, but it's fun to dream. 

If TD/DQ had not done such an excellent job this offseason, I would be pounding the table for him. But we had a sneaky good offseason adding Davison, Clayborn, and especially Bailey. 

So much better than last off-season, I guess they learned their lesson. 

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

13 hours ago, HEIST said:

Who the **** still uses MSN?

The same ones who are usually but can’t that day be glued to their TV sets for all the in-depth coverage of ESPN.

BoomGoesTheDynamite likes this

49 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I really believe this is our year......which is why I said what I said no more "waiting till next year', our time is now. 

This is it.  Either Quinn gets it done or Blank is going in another direction. Too much talent on that team...

Vandy likes this

1 hour ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Well Beez is gone next season. Ty looks.expendable, and who cares about Brian Hill. Only reservation is.Sanu. I think hes more valuable to our offensive success this year than Clowney would be to our defensive. If we had last years DL then ofcourse hed be worth it. If they would take Beez, Ty, Hill and a 3rd id pull the trigger as all 3 of those will be gone next season and we. Could potentially extend Clowney if: Grace/Foye make Campbell expendable and Graham comes on and by next season makes it more.palatable to let Hooper hit market. Hooper would give us a 3rd rnd comp in 2021. 

My biggest problem with all of this is I'm just not sure if I'd give up Sanu, honestly.

Falconsfan567 likes this

45 minutes ago, HEIST said:

Who the **** still uses MSN?

38 minutes ago, Vandy said:

The same ones who aren't glued that day to their TV sets for all the in-depth coverage of ESPN.

:lol:

Vandy likes this