Osiruz

Falcons named one of the landing spots for Clowney

543 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Yes.

A one-year rental before he hits open market.

Clowney can't be a one year rental. He won't play until he is signed to a long term deal.

1 minute ago, Yo_Lover said:

Clowney can't be a one year rental. He won't play until he is signed to a long term deal.

I could be 100 percent wrong but i have a feeling we end up with him for the next few years

46 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

So you’re saying he’s sitting out the year no matter what? I don’t think so.

5 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001041403/article/potential-jadeveon-clowney-trade-destinations-jets-among-fits

No team can sign him longterm this year. :shrug:

Clowney's trade value is greatly diminished by the reality that no team, including the Texans, can negotiate a new contract with him until next offseason. How much will interested teams be willing to give up for a one-year rental and the chance to negotiate potentially the biggest defensive contract in NFL history in February of 2020, a few weeks before the rest of the league?

3 minutes ago, Vandy said:

So you’re saying he’s sitting out the year no matter what? 

He's saying he won't sign or play until he has a long term deal.

Schwarzwald likes this

3 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001041403/article/potential-jadeveon-clowney-trade-destinations-jets-among-fits

No team can sign him longterm this year. :shrug:

Clowney's trade value is greatly diminished by the reality that no team, including the Texans, can negotiate a new contract with him until next offseason. How much will interested teams be willing to give up for a one-year rental and the chance to negotiate potentially the biggest defensive contract in NFL history in February of 2020, a few weeks before the rest of the league?

Sheesh. Idk what the **** he is going to do then.

Schwarzwald and Drew4719 like this

7 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

He's saying he won't sign or play until he has a long term deal.

Players say a lot of things when they are trying to force team to trade them. Unless he’s pulling a L Bell, he doesn’t  have an option but sign and play until next year for a L/T deal.

Schwarzwald and Drew4719 like this

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

Players say a lot of things when they are trying to force team to trade them. Unless he’s pulling a L Bell, he doesn’t really have an option until next year to sign a L/T deal.

He basically is upset they didn’t give him his deal and wants out anyway.

Now...will he really sit out all year or will he even agree to sign if it’s a team he doesn’t want to go to?

Clowney likes ATL! :tiphat:

Ovie_Lover, Drew4719 and Vandy like this

8 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Players say a lot of things when they are trying to force team to trade them. Unless he’s pulling a L Bell, he doesn’t really have an option until next year to sign a L/T deal.

Traded I'd say he plays

Stays I say he sits 

LouDog likes this

14 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

He basically is upset they didn’t give him his deal and wants out anyway.

Now...will he really sit out all year or will he even agree to sign if it’s a team he doesn’t want to go to?

Clowney likes ATL! :tiphat:

Everyone knows he’s getting traded. ATL would be a great fit.

Would you trade Beasley and Ty, especially with Kaleb no where near ready?

Schwarzwald and MSalmon like this

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I would drive them to Houston myself

Drew4719 and Vandy like this

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

You only do that if you are sold on Gono....and I think we might be. :tiphat:

2 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

You only do that if you are sold on Gono....and I think we might be. :tiphat:

Sold meaning not embarrass himself? 

I’m not sold on him by any means, but i’d still  do it. Maybe even move Carp to RT. 

MSalmon and Schwarzwald like this

Just now, Vandy said:

I’m not sold on him by any means, but i’d still  do it. Maybe even move Carp to RT. 

I have as much faith in Gono as I do in Ty

Drew4719 and Vandy like this

3 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

My previous “never gonna happen” and “no cap room” posts this very thread:

2A45F05D-66FE-471E-96BA-7302A7741CD1.jpeg.c1c4a2715f27a10913df51c3d060c199.jpeg

Quite a few of those in these Clowney threads. 

Still a long-shot he comes here, but I would love to see it happen.

Schwarzwald likes this

8 hours ago, Vandy said:

Honestly, my gut says Kaleb will be up to speed soon, Gono could play in a pinch, and whichever RT we had this year we had plans to support him as needed.

I’d do it.

Drew4719, Vandy and MSalmon like this

Clowney is a 'me' first kind of guy, but guess that comes with the territory when you are one of the best talents to ever walk onto a football field. Would love to see him in a Falcon uniform, but there are issues to consider. 

I live in South Carolina, after moving from John's Creek, and have followed him in college and into the pros. The last year Clowney played for the Gamecocks he wanted to sit out the remainder of the season, with several games to go and much on the line for his team, just because he was afraid of getting hurt before entering the NFL wanting to protect his draft stats. Spurrier had to really do a sales job to get him back out on the field.

As far as talent, he is one of a kind. Pro Scouts said he was NFL ready and would have been a top ten draft pick as a Freshman. When he wanted it bad enough, he would take college games over single-handed. You see that in basketball with five men on a team, but rarely have I seen someone capable of doing that in a football game, outside of a QB.

Bottom line, he has not even scratched the surface of what he is capable of in the NFL. If a team could get him for a year, with the understanding that he would command a record sum of money afterwards, without having to give-up something too ridiculous up front, I'd say go for it. Only problem is you better have a Steve Spurrier type mentality in the organization that can get into his head to be able to get the most out of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=nipUMmd4Pk0

mtldirtybird likes this

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

if anything it's Brown who played RT in the past. Carp has always been a LG

This is next to impossible unless giving up players that make at least 16 mill net salary this year, which will be decent depth pieces for us. Even then it’s a one year rental because there is no money next year. 

4 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Would be more likely to get a valuable compensatory pick in 2021 draft from Clowney in UFA than Vic; Unless Vic goes off big time this year.

I thought I read that. Now, Atlanta has a good reputation for not unnecessary tagging. I could see a Clowney being a bit happier here under a tag. His beef with Houston was the tag was as a LB, not a DE

Schwarzwald likes this

1 hour ago, mtldirtybird said:

if anything it's Brown who played RT in the past. Carp has always been a LG

He played a bit at RT in his rookie year and played as a LT in college.

Vandy likes this