Trends from Pre season

MAD597

People mock pre season all you want but we have seen some consistent trends from pre season that will almost certainly translate into the regular season

* The defense will be better and get pressure on the QB - They won't be world beaters but they should not blow leads and should get adequate pressure on the QB, only concern with the D is stopping the run consistently

* Our ST's will still suck - Return game is not decided, kicking sucks, to many penalties

* Our OL is not ready, going to be another tough season for Ryan nerves, he is going to run for his life, we are going to see tons of drive stopping penalties and Ryan will have constant pressure on him, 

* Our run game when Freeman goes on IR for injuries should be ok, Ito and Ollison we be the primary RB's by week 3 and will be a good one two punch.

These are pretty consistent trends from Pre season that will carry over to regular season, maybe they will be fixed during the year maybe they won't but for the 1st 4 games at least this is what we are dealing with

3 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

People mock pre season all you want but we have seen some consistent trends from pre season that will almost certainly translate into the regular season

* The defense will be better and get pressure on the QB - They won't be world beaters but they should not blow leads and should get adequate pressure on the QB, only concern with the D is stopping the run consistently

* Our ST's will still suck - Return game is not decided, kicking sucks, to many penalties

* Our OL is not ready, going to be another tough season for Ryan nerves, he is going to run for his life, we are going to see tons of drive stopping penalties and Ryan will have constant pressure on him, 

* Our run game when Freeman goes on IR for injuries should be ok, Ito and Ollison we be the primary RB's by week 3 and will be a good one two punch.

These are pretty consistent trends from Pre season that will carry over to regular season, maybe they will be fixed during the year maybe they won't but for the 1st 4 games at least this is what we are dealing with

With that being said what will the record be?

2 minutes ago, AllStarHandyMan said:

With that being said what will the record be?

I think ST's/Kicking issues and the OL will cost us several games and despite the defense improvements and Ryan being Ryan we are looking at another 7-9 season where Quinn and TD get fired and the front office gets cleaned out again.

8 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

I think ST's/Kicking issues and the OL will cost us several games and despite the defense improvements and Ryan being Ryan we are looking at another 7-9 season where Quinn and TD get fired and the front office gets cleaned out again.

Dang I dont know about that. The only way I think we go below 500 is if the offensive coordinating is bad.. the oline did pretty good picking up the blitz this past game. 

Freeman: looked to avoid contact.. (not trying to truck people 2x his size)

Kicking: I'm nervous about to but he made one and has one more preseason to get it right. Build his confidence again.

And the receiving punt and kick offs they already said that the guy from the Panthers  will take care of that.. so that is a relief..

Man this just seems to me like someone overdoing it with the emotions.  YES, there are things to be concerned about, but not throw in the towel concerned.

This team is better than last year's team and probably better than the year before. 

Alas, we didn't win any preseason games then either.

I look at it like this, we all know we had issues with certain areas of the team as listed:

O-line: Lindstrom is a rookie and is coming into his own at a steady pace.  But he is doing pretty well so far.  LG will be manned by JC or JB, and I have faith whichever one wins it won't matter because the guy behind him will be just as good to help solidify the left side. RT is probably the most concerning because McGary isn't ready and Ty is doing poorly.  Gono looked decent in his short time and I have faith he will work out until Kaleb is ready. 

RB: This is an issue we had last year due to lack of depth.  In actuality, we have 4 players who could considerably be the starter for us if needed.  IMO Freeman will play no less than 14 games this year, I feel after lengthy time off he is fully recovered and good to go. Smith is showing the skills he displayed last year.  Ollison showed against WAS he can grind out the tough yards, and Hill is a quick back who could be used as an aerial, in space, weapon like Coleman was for us before.

DEF: We get back GJ, Takk, DJ, Neal, and Allen FULL TIME.  ALL will be ready for week 1.  That's a TOTALLY different defense than we fielded last year. DQ leading the way will utilize this D to its best abilities. 

IMO the only REAL concern we should be having (and it's not really a HUGE one) is kicker because GT has not been consistent enough to ensure our comfort level is adequate going into the season, BUT we are comparing him to Bryant so detailed that honestly, not matter who is kicking will never be good enough because we had the luxury of Money Matt for so long, we expect nothing less.  

I'm sorry OP but most Falcon's fans are used to the sky falling at this point. They learnt to see warnings as signs of potential success. I like to call it Matt Ryan-ism because no matter the situation us homers just gotta keep on chugging thru. That being said this year's schedule is gonna reveal a lot. I personally have never liked that the franchise has a reputation of devoting more attention to skill positions than the trenches. I also don't like certain aspects of Dimitrioff's tenure from picking Sam Baker over Duane Brown to rarely ever focusing on Offensive Line talent to not only overpaying but overdrafting talent. God knows i question why they can trade a 5th and pay a guy like Sambraillo yet couldn't seemed to keep the Franchise' best kicker EVER. Truly headscratching but hey man it's not midseason yet so let's just see how far we can go with it because if I know anything about my Falcons it's that they play best when you think they'll play worse and yes vice-versa as well lol

12 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

You would think after 4 years with Quinn they would remember the team always looks bad in the preseason,  especially the 3rd game.

I even made a post about it last week.

But nope.  People expecting too much in preseason.

I honestly think there are people that just want to come back in a few weeks if we’re struggling just to say

”See I told you!” Makes them feel smart. 

1 hour ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

You would think after 4 years with Quinn they would remember the team always looks bad in the preseason,  especially the 3rd game.

I even made a post about it last week.

But nope.  People expecting too much in preseason.

In the past the team didn't game plan for 3rd ps game.. This year they did, the only concern right now is ST. 

31 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

In the past the team didn't game plan for 3rd ps game.. This year they did, the only concern right now is ST. 

Yeah.  Between the missed FGs and muffed punts.

I was thinking to myself earlier today.  Watch this be the year the Falcons FINALLY have a good defense to pair with the offense but ST is a disaster.

Yeah.  That would be about right for the Falcons.

The kicking issue with get resolved, one way or another.  I think Vec will come around, but if he doesn't, another kicker will be signed.  

The OL has undergone major reconstruction.  It is not reasonable to think that it will play to its potential immediately.  They will likely struggle for 3-5 games, but I fully expect them to play well by week 6.  We have better talent all along the OL, just give them some time.  

I believe the defense will be better because Quinn is directly involved.  He will get more production from the DL by scheming them into opportunities.  

6 hours ago, etherdome said:

The kicking issue with get resolved, one way or another.  I think Vec will come around, but if he doesn't, another kicker will be signed.  

The OL has undergone major reconstruction.  It is not reasonable to think that it will play to its potential immediately.  They will likely struggle for 3-5 games, but I fully expect them to play well by week 6.  We have better talent all along the OL, just give them some time.  

I believe the defense will be better because Quinn is directly involved.  He will get more production from the DL by scheming them into opportunities.  

If they struggle till week 6

Falcons will not only lose division but will be out of playoff contention.

Falcons dont have LUXURY of losing pivotal NFC Games

My fear is that guy's like Grace and Gono and Graham get limited snaps early in the season and yet be expected to ballout later on in the year. For some odd reason Falcon's mistakes both playing and coaching are usually classic common sense ones. Like the way this team is suddenly overlapping guys at certain positions while holding on too supposedly quality players who eat up a lot of the cap. I just pray that DQ can maintain of very specific snap count for some of these guys and let them get better individually and as a team as the season goes on. Our secondary has potential but it's very suspect just like the offensive line and special teams. If you can find a guy like Gono or Cooper or even Ito Smith who play better than expected LET THEM PLAY. This coach has to show he's not all heart but also has a brain in there somewhere of his own outside of the defensive line. The first thing he could do to reassure me personally of that is bringing back Matt Bryant LOL.

Edited by Hurry_Up_And_Buy

On 8/23/2019 at 0:05 PM, MAD597 said:

insert not sure if serious or just stupid pic here. not worth me finding it

16 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Yeah.  Between the missed FGs and muffed punts.

I was thinking to myself earlier today.  Watch this be the year the Falcons FINALLY have a good defense to pair with the offense but ST is a disaster.

Yeah.  That would be about right for the Falcons.

This is what I'm legit concerned about.  I'll be downright pissed off if we finally have two matching quality units but end up losing games because of missed FG's.  I'm not really worried about the punt/kickoff return game as long as Barner is doing it.

18 hours ago, thofin21 said:

Quinn is by far the worst preseason coach the Falcons have ever had. The games are hard to watch   I don't think too much can be predicted by watching preseason games. 

I understand why you say that.  Quinn's preseason games generally look ugly.  But, he is an evaluator.  He puts individuals and teams in stressful situations to see who can handle it.  If Quinn wanted to win preseason games, Danny Etling would not have played Thursday night.  Why trot out Etling when he does not know the system yet?  Quinn wanted to see how he handled himself with little preparation. 

Why was Gono not called up last season?  He needed extra time to adjust coming from a very small school.  But, someone has worked with him.  Why was Gage not used more last season.  He needed more time, and, because the Falcons did not have enough bandages, casts, crutches, and wheel chairs to reassemble a defense last season, it was better to develop players than throw them into the fire.

I see no correlation between preseason team success and regular season team success.  I see a correlation with preseason individual performance and regular season individual performance.  I think that is what preseason is for.  It is a test bed for new players and a warm up for veterans.  It is nothing more than that.  But, that is important.  Rather than looking at the end score or the second half performance, look at the individuals and how they matched up.  I see numerous players that are going to improve our offense and defense. 

I am looking forward to our last preseason loss and the flashes new players show us.  And no, Tavecchio did not suddenly forget how to kick a football through the uprights.  He is in a slump.  Most NFL kickers go through at least one.  Be happy it is preseason.  He will get it together.