Cole World

Falcons Plan D Program Player Spotlight: Matt Gono

42 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, atljbo said:

I'll be honest... these are true plan D success storys... Gono and Grace are 2 undrafted guys with NFL potential that was coached up and look like 2 players that can contribute... 

And Beckert. This is a great FO.

I am hoping for a great leap for him.

We have a winner.

Gono far exceeded my expectations I had going into the game. He was gonna be lining up against some good players in Kerrigan, Loannidis, and Sweat....players he had no business winning a majority of reps against. Yet he did. There a couple of rough snaps against Sweat's speed, but someone on the sideline coached him up and by the next possession Gono had adjusted. Quick learner.

Other than that, his pass blocking was decent and not the worst on the line. In the running game Lindstrom and Gono were getting push all night.

10 minutes ago, Fiddlin John's Ghost said:

Gono far exceeded my expectations I had going into the game. He was gonna be lining up against some good players in Kerrigan, Loannidis, and Sweat....players he had no business winning a majority of reps against. Yet he did. There a couple of rough snaps against Sweat's speed, but someone on the sideline coached him up and by the next possession Gono had adjusted. Quick learner.

Other than that, his pass blocking was decent and not the worst on the line. In the running game Lindstrom and Gono were getting push all night.

.....And Payne

Other than Loannidis, all first rounders.

Decided to rewatch the game and chart the oline's performance, mainly to see if Gono played as well as I first thought.

Got the first drive done.

12 plays. 6 runs 6 passes.

Gono tied on the first rep, a run to the left side away from him. Every other rep, Gono won. On 5 of the 6 pass plays, Gono flat stoned Leonnidas. On the 6th, although Kerrigan launched like a rocket off the snap and got a little ahead of Gono, Gono never freaked and caught skates like most tackles would've, showing hella poise and sound technique, Gono caught up to Kerrigan just enough and rode him around the arc. It would've been real easy to  panic, over compensate, and ride right past Kerrigan. Or to lose his base trying to catch Kerrigan.

Gono had no business playing that well against that Dline with a rookie beside him. I knew he had held his own, but going back for a closer look revealed he did more than that so far. More to come tomorrow.

On 8/23/2019 at 11:14 AM, Yo_Lover said:

This is what I've been thinking about or if Mack retires and they move Lindstrom to C then Gono could go to RG.

I'm hoping Mack plays at least two more years...this year and next year...  This team will be a top team the next two seasons ,,and he needs to stay and help us get what we all want. I think we will get it done this year or next year.. I'll just say it like this,,, WE will be in the mix at the end of regular season.

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 9:00 PM, Gonobeast said:

Gono was timing in the mid 4.8 40yd dash in the better/warmer weather workouts leading into his Pro Day.  At 317 lbs.  He did his pro day in one of the worst weather conditions you can have for a pro day.  The NFL allowed him to do another pro day if he wanted bc the conditions were that bad.  That’s rare.  He elected not too. Bc he still Sparq scored 9.8/10 despite the conditions.   Super high motor man for that weight.   He was 21 years old when Atlanta worked him out 1 on 1.  It was unbelievable.  He put the o/line coach on the turf twice by accident.  But it was 75 degrees on the private workout day.  Gonobeast was rumbling that day. 

atlbaby and Schwarzwald like this

In a perfect world Gono becomes that good that McCary cannot unseat him. That said I expect they force McGary into the starting RT at some point this year regardless, and Gono is a great swing tackle option. (And sombrero can go kick rocks, maybe we can trade him for the top half of a hamburger bun)

Cole World and Romfal like this

On 8/23/2019 at 10:13 PM, Gonobeast said:

Gono is actually 6.4 7/8 317lbs.  He also moves much better moving left than right.  Elite explosiveness moving left.  He broad jumped 9.10” at 317.  That could be an nfl broad jump record for anyone over 315.  His pro day was in 38 degrees, snow and 22mph crosswind.  He is highly athletic.  He kicks out farther on the left side.  Major upside across the line.  If the guy starting LG is actually a natural RG, Gono would be on the left side (most natural) and would be a good LG too.  

Thanks for the info,, That's pretty awesome numbers... What a nice find TD and Quinn has found for sure ,, looks like the perfect fit at RT and or G if needed. What an awesome off season it has been,, Best one I've ever seen,, add that to what was one of the best teams already,, and that lets us know if Iron man Ryan and stay healthy one more year.. WE will be very hard to beat... As I've said many times,, I think we end up no less than in the top 4 ...But truly think we go back to the big game..

Most sites has us ranked at around  17 or 18,,, But that's a good thing,, we need to stay under the radar as long as possible.

20 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

In a perfect world Gono becomes that good that McCary cannot unseat him. That said I expect they force McGary into the starting RT at some point this year regardless, and Gono is a great swing tackle option. (And sombrero can go kick rocks, maybe we can trade him for the top half of a hamburger bun)

I dont think Gono kicking inside and Lindstom moving to center in the next couple of years is far fetched either.

Schwarzwald likes this

2 hours ago, Cole World said:

1 hour ago, FentayeJones said:

I dont think Gono kicking inside and Lindstom moving to center in the next couple of years is far fetched either.

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooo doggy.

If this OL turns into something for years, and Gono is a piece of that?

Welcome to the new TD-era of drafting OL! :tiphat:

Cole World and rugger8 like this

54 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooo doggy.

If this OL turns into something for years, and Gono is a piece of that?

Welcome to the new TD-era of drafting OL! :tiphat:

But Gono wasn't drafted. 

Schwarzwald likes this

2 minutes ago, rugger8 said:

But Gono wasn't drafted. 

Good for TD, since Pioli draftee all the good players.

Maybe TD should stick to the scrap heap of UDFA!:ninja:

Did I contradict my previous post? Doesn’t matter. I still have valid points in there; somewhere.

11 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Good for TD, since Pioli draftee all the good players.

Maybe TD should stick to the scrap heap of UDFA!:ninja:

Did I contradict my previous post? Doesn’t matter. I still have valid points in there; somewhere.

:D All posts are valid... right?

I just remember all the folks taking exception to Schraeder since he wasn't drafted. That dude was a great find and was a really good player for a few years. ✨

Gono’s Profile states he is 305lbs, his pro day he was 317lbs, but Dan Quinn said recently that Gono is 330lbs. 

330lbs pounds is a lot of hoss if he maintains his quickness.  DQ already said the strength has been there since they signed him.

“His strength is rare. And his quickness for a 330 pounder is rare... So now, can we get the football there and in his case, we got the football there. ” - Dan Quinn

33 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Gono’s Profile states he is 305lbs, his pro day he was 317lbs, but Dan Quinn said recently that Gono is 330lbs. 

330lbs pounds is a lot of hoss if he maintains his quickness.  DQ already said the strength has been there since they signed him.

“His strength is rare. And his quickness for a 330 pounder is rare... So now, can we get the football there and in his case, we got the football there. ” - Dan Quinn

I really hope he becomes a G

Future oline of

Matthews Carp/Brown/Gono at either guard spot Lindstrom at center and McGary at tackle (if he lives) :rolleyes:

rugger8 and gazoo like this

8 hours ago, TD_Lover said:

I really hope he becomes a G

Future oline of

Matthews Carp/Brown/Gono at either guard spot Lindstrom at center and McGary at tackle (if he lives) :rolleyes:

Yeah, i really like the idea of looking at 330lb Gono at OG if McGary is able to get off life support and start at RT.  Having a high quality cheap player at OG for a few years would help our cap big time.

*rubs eyes*......wait a minute....TD_Lover? Haha, gotta have something to do with FFS70!

Ovie_Lover likes this