Ergo Proxy

Is Neal gonna be slapped with just a fine?

36 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

I beat he gets a game or two from that, mainly because dude already had a guy on him.

This doesn't make sense to me.  Players are allowed to break tackles.  Sounds like people are trying to turn football into flag football.

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

1 hour ago, TheFatboi said:

Keep playing your game Neal. 

If he keeps playing like this, he won't be playing for long. The damage that he'll do to himself will be irreparable.  He'll be fined for the hit...

Faithful Falcon likes this

8 minutes ago, ltstorm2 said:

Should not have been a penalty.  There is no rule that you have to "wrap up" a ball carrier.  Neal led with his shoulder which unfortunately is connected to his head which makes it look like he lead with the helmet.  In actuality its the guys that are wide armed trying to wrap up that generally called for helmet to helmet.  He hit him the exact same way that he hit Evans out of bounds and blasted Graham on the goal line.  Exact same form.

Yes there is a rule you have to be attempting to wrap up and you cannot initiate contact with the head.  That rule has been around for 40 years, but it was rarely called up to a few years ago.  There is no way on this planet anyone without an agenda can look at that replay, from that angle, and say that Neal was leading with a shoulder.  He was square to the ball carrier and even dropped his head when making contact.  The crown of Neal's helmet made initial contact with the side of the ball carriers head.  That by definition is a penalty regardless of the circumstance or the intent.  I don't think Neal is a dirty player, but in that instant, it appears he knew the player was going down and wanted to add contact.  That is perfectly legal, but not the way he did it.  He will be lucky not to draw a suspension.

Faithful Falcon likes this

7 minutes ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

Yes there is a rule you have to be attempting to wrap up and you cannot initiate contact with the head.  That rule has been around for 40 years, but it was rarely called up to a few years ago.  There is no way on this planet anyone without an agenda can look at that replay, from that angle, and say that Neal was leading with a shoulder.  He was square to the ball carrier and even dropped his head when making contact.  The crown of Neal's helmet made initial contact with the side of the ball carriers head.  That by definition is a penalty regardless of the circumstance or the intent.  I don't think Neal is a dirty player, but in that instant, it appears he knew the player was going down and wanted to add contact.  That is perfectly legal, but not the way he did it.  He will be lucky not to draw a suspension.

No rule about wrapping up, but there is about leading with the head.  Yeah, I have no agenda and other people on this thread don't have an agenda? LOL what would that agenda be in the first place and yeah, he lead with his shoulder, I don't know what angle you're looking at but I replayed that play on my tv multiple times and saw him leading with his shoulder.   Everyone drops their head when leading with their shoulder or bracing for impact,  that's how the majority of the helmet to helmet hits occur.  He won't be suspended.

Exact same hit.  Lead with his shoulder but the helmet still comes in contact.  It is impossible to lead with the shoulder without helmet contact.

Again, Same exact shoulder hit.  Had Graham lowered his head, they would have hit helmets.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/video/jordan-reed-absorbs-scary-hit-head-vs-falcons

Watch the video on this site of the hit on Reed and stop it right around 4-5 seconds.  Neal is CLEARLY leading with his shoulder.

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

That's the problem with this rule - both players are to avoid helmet to helmet contact - at least Neal turned his and his shoulder hit first, then the helmet - so, should no have been a penalty, solely on Neal - in my screwed up opinion.

Skins fan.

Leading with head - yes

Helmet to helmet - yes

Intentional - no

Reckless - yes

Suspension - probably not for this one but if Neal gets a H2H again this season, this will probably get mentioned as a repeat offender.

It wasnt intentional, it wasnt late, it wasnt on a defenseless player ... but it was clearly a crown helmet to helmet hit. The crown of his helmet literally went right into his ear hole. To try and play mental gymnastics that somehow he lead with his shoulder or Reed changed the target area is viewing this through fans lenses. Which is what we do.

I am sure a Falcon will get a concussion from a H2H hit this year. I am sure that discussion will be vastly different. Its football, its hard to tackle and not lead with your helmet, its almost physically impossible but this was a clear H2H hit. Its okay to admit it was a H2H hit. Skins players will do H2H hits this year. falcons will, pats will etc ... game is too fast for it not to happen. But to argue this wasnt a textbook crown leading with helmet H2H hit ...   

Cheers and good luck.

Ovie_Lover and JC Falcon like this

Even if intent isn’t there, when the helmet strikes first and you initiated contact they will flag that every time.

What I don’t get is how Brian Hill was flagged as a runner the other week just by getting lower? The defender came into him.

Its like they want Keanu to go up, hug him and pull him down from the side without any sort of diving tackle.

Pretty much makes diving at a player illegal at that point if the target can change after you commit. :shrug:

Rough play, no question about it being a penalty in today's league. Still, I don't think it was a dirty play, just one of those things that are going to happen when you are playing safety and trying to make a play. I would hope he doesn't get fined, but it's anyone's guess as to what the league will do; consistency has never been one of its strong points. 

Ergo Proxy likes this

2 hours ago, Visitor41 said:

Skins fan.

Leading with head - yes

Helmet to helmet - yes

Intentional - no

Reckless - yes

Suspension - probably not for this one but if Neal gets a H2H again this season, this will probably get mentioned as a repeat offender.

It wasnt intentional, it wasnt late, it wasnt on a defenseless player ... but it was clearly a crown helmet to helmet hit. The crown of his helmet literally went right into his ear hole. To try and play mental gymnastics that somehow he lead with his shoulder or Reed changed the target area is viewing this through fans lenses. Which is what we do.

I am sure a Falcon will get a concussion from a H2H hit this year. I am sure that discussion will be vastly different. Its football, its hard to tackle and not lead with your helmet, its almost physically impossible but this was a clear H2H hit. Its okay to admit it was a H2H hit. Skins players will do H2H hits this year. falcons will, pats will etc ... game is too fast for it not to happen. But to argue this wasnt a textbook crown leading with helmet H2H hit ...   

Cheers and good luck.

Well said. Not a dirty hit, but was unnecessary for preseason. Neal can be hurt or suspended if it happens wrong.  Good luck to your ‘skins unless it’s ATL too.

Regular season or playoffs you punish the guys and there is no such thing as “he was going down”.  He’s not down until a whistle. We’ve all seen Barry Sanders and other guys “going down” that didn’t.  

7 hours ago, THEHEADCOACH said:

It's all bs, you're always leading with your head, no matter how you try. Then its so fast and a moving Target, it's gonna happen. It's never gonna stop, as long as it's tackle football. Guys fighting for extra yards, you're trying to stop him, his head comes down too, could've just gave up earlier. This one sided crap is BS. It's just gonna happen.

It is bs. Can't wait to see how they figure out how to stop player's heads from colliding and keep it a full contact sport. Pro football is quickly becoming a bizarre parody of its former violent, physical self.

Statick and Shelley#37 like this