Falconsfan567

Falcons Pass Rush

27 posts in this topic

I haven't watched very much of any of the games, the Jets game being the one I've watched the most, but from what I have seen, I've seen a very aggressive and productive pass rush from the Falcons. It doesn't matter who is on the field, they've been getting pressure on the opposing QB.

Now that being said, one of the things I've said many times is that I don't get caught up in practice or preseason (practice) games. I just don't. I've seen enough sports in my life to see guys light it up in practice and then disappear when the real lights come on. That brings me back to the pass rush, is this legit or is it one of those dreaded preseason mirages we've seen over the years?

Flyin' In DC likes this

I’ve been wondering that myself.

Consistency in preseason can mean something... especially if it’s a bad thing.

Im not ready to say we’ll have a legit pass rush but I do think it will be better than last year.

It certainly looks like the Falcons quietly built decent depth in the offseason.  And I thought they did nothing.

Posted (edited)

It’s legit. It’s mean. And it will produce. Last year before pre-season I said it would suck because replacing Poe, Upshaw, and Clayborn with McClain and Senat wouldn’t be sufficient. This year, though, oh it’s gonna be fun. Takk and Beasley have both looked better. Crawford looks even better and he had been quietly consistently good. Senat flashed last night after being quiet the first 3 games. Getting Clayborn back along with adding Davison and Bailey has looked awesome. Hoping to see Hageman flash as well.

It’s not that I’m not worried about the pass rush, but I can honestly say I expect the pass rush to be one of the better areas of this team. That’s something I can’t ever remember saying. The 2016 late season/post season pass rush as well as the one from the 2017 season were decent. 2019’s will be even better. I’m confident about this.

Edited by CTann
duckhoa and ATLskinjob like this

13 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I haven't watched very much of any of the games, the Jets game being the one I've watched the most, but from what I have seen, I've seen a very aggressive and productive pass rush from the Falcons. It doesn't matter who is on the field, they've been getting pressure on the opposing QB.

Now that being said, one of the things I've said many times is that I don't get caught up in practice or preseason (practice) games. I just don't. I've seen enough sports in my life to see guys light it up in practice and then disappear when the real lights come on. That brings me back to the pass rush, is this legit or is it one of those dreaded preseason mirages we've seen over the years?

I think the key here is the 6 and 7 guys at the LOS on 3rd and sure passing downs. I've been screaming for this for 2 years on this board. You don't have to blitz but make them wonder whose coming. If you add a half second to the time the QB has to hold the ball it makes all the difference. Especially frustrating when they get to the QB but let him slide away. That seems to happen a lot.

VTCrunkler and Falconsfan567 like this

5 minutes ago, slider said:

I think the key here is the 6 and 7 guys at the LOS on 3rd and sure passing downs. I've been screaming for this for 2 years on this board. You don't have to blitz but make them wonder whose coming. If you add a half second to the time the QB has to hold the ball it makes all the difference. Especially frustrating when they get to the QB but let him slide away. That seems to happen a lot.

Yeah, don't let them know who's coming. But if you can get pressure with the front 4 then even better cause now you've really got the opponent in a bind.

slider likes this

2 hours ago, CTann said:

It’s legit. It’s mean. And it will produce. Last year before pre-season I said it would suck because replacing Poe, Upshaw, and Clayborn with McClain and Senat wouldn’t be sufficient. This year, though, oh it’s gonna be fun. Takk and Beasley have both looked better. Crawford looks even better and he had been quietly consistently good. Senat flashed last night after being quiet the first 3 games. Getting Clayborn back along with adding Davison and Bailey has looked awesome. Hoping to see Hageman flash as well.

It’s not that I’m not worried about the pass rush, but I can honestly say I expect the pass rush to be one of the better areas of this team. That’s something I can’t ever remember saying. The 2016 late season/post season pass rush as well as the one from the 2017 season were decent. 2019’s will be even better. I’m confident about this.

(IMO) Hags isn’t making the team unless we have an injury by week 3. Team is just too deep.

2 hours ago, CTann said:

I had my doubts, until seeing the first unit D line at work last night.

If that first unit D line plays like that the whole year.....watch out!!!

Feeling more confident heading into the season now, and fully expect to wreak havoc at the Vikings.  

CTann likes this

I think it will be fine but I do wonder how the pass rush will be against playoff caliber offensive lines. We’ll be able to tell pretty early in the season looking at the schedule. 

Quinn is really mixing it up and I like the true 3-4 looks we’ve been showing. Even our DEs in the 3-4 are getting pressure. I feel like Clay was made for pass rushing DT in a 3-4 in 3rd and long. The whole line was getting pressure in those looks. Even if our other corners are suspect and/or green, we seem to create enough pressure to make hurried or errant throws more regular. If the offense can get ahead early, our pass rush can do their thing and play like end of 2016 defense. That was a fun team to watch. 

Ovie_Lover likes this

It's be consistent and a variety of guys, which is the good thing. It's not just Grady winning. Takk, Crawford, Clayborn, and even Vic have all shown it. Senat just last night, beating a Pro Bowl OL. Not fully consistent pressure on four man rushes, but it's noticeably improved. Vic clearly has worked on his moves. It's a work in progress, but he's not looking that clueless out there any more. Takk is going to break out. If I had to put money anywhere, it's him. Grady is still a beast. Crawford is still a good complement. Clayborn is a welcomed re-addition. It's just a good overall group, something I've been saying all offseason. Nobody in that rotation is a fringe NFL guy. 

ATLskinjob and Falconsfan567 like this

Never in my life have I seen any other team that cannot bring a qb down. I’d love to see the stats on when we have a qb and he escapes or makes a throw. It’s unreal. Now we are going to lose again to the Eagles backups. 

39 minutes ago, RYNE said:

Never in my life have I seen any other team that cannot bring a qb down. I’d love to see the stats on when we have a qb and he escapes or makes a throw. It’s unreal. Now we are going to lose again to the Eagles backups. 

K.

Fun game. Vic and Takk went off.

6 minutes ago, shockerfalcon said:

Falcons brought pressure against one of the top 3 OL in the NFL. Credit to wentz he made some amazing escapes tonight but when was the last time you saw the Falcons get constant pressure all 4 quarters?

It's been many moons since we smoked the peace pipe.

24 minutes ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

I'm still blown how Wentz got that Pass off with Vic dragging him down though.

Big Ben-esque. 

Still thought our DL played lights out against the best OL in the NFL. Everyone is talking about the pass rush, but how about that run D? Less than 50 yards, averaged under nearly 2.5 yards per carry. Stellar.

9 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Big Ben-esque. 

Still thought our DL played lights out against the best OL in the NFL. Everyone is talking about the pass rush, but how about that run D? Less than 50 yards, averaged under nearly 2.5 yards per carry. Stellar.

I thought the run D was overlooked in this game. Even taking a look back at last week, if you take away the chunk runs Minny got, our run D actually looked pretty solid. Add in how well we looked last night with our pass rush, and I think our defense is going to be a strong point for us  this year. At least they will keep us in games until our offense is humming.

ShadyRef, falconsd56, vel and 1 other like this

9 hours ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

I thought the run D was overlooked in this game. Even taking a look back at last week, if you take away the chunk runs Minny got, our run D actually looked pretty solid. Add in how well we looked last night with our pass rush, and I think our defense is going to be a strong point for us  this year. At least they will keep us in games until our offense is humming.

Defense all around was great last night. Without the dumb Matt Ryan interceptions that would have been a blow out win for the Falcons.

9 hours ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

Yup.

Of the vikings 170 or so yards about 79 came on 3 or 4 rushes.

When the falcons maintained gap discipline they did a good job.....when they didn't they got burned.

Last night they were disciplined

21 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I absolutely love watching a Falcons game and seeing a legit pass rush!! This is beautiful!

I’m waiting for them to play a team that’s not ready and not as talented as Philly & Minnesota? This pass rush should dominate the colts without Luck??? And it will only get stronger as the year goes on barring injuries!!!