GleasonForever!

Preseason Discussion:

26 posts in this topic

There are four aspects of football that I wanted to get opinion on in regards to our preseason record. State your opinions. No one will be totally wrong or right. Just looking for more insight. 

 

Scouts: Is our scouting department to blame for not providing our roster with the necessary depth that the coaches need to be able to win in the preseason? How much of a factor is it if our scouting staff identifies better players (perceived) but FA’s/UDFA’s choose to go elsewhere. Will we ever know that answer? 

Coaching: Is it our coaches responsibility to be able to coach up the players that were provided to them via the front office/coaching staff and develop real depth that we can contribute to our roster? Are the coaches not calling the right plays to help our depth succeed in preseason games? If so are other teams able to coach and call plays better than us in preseason? 

Players: Does it ultimately fall on the players fault if they are indeed getting coached properly and the plays are called to the players strengths? Is it difficult because not much of game planning goes into preseason making it more on the players fault for whatever reason why they can’t succeed? Do other teams have better players/depth than us in general?

Luck: Is this all a crapshoot and our preseason record is indicative of just very bad luck with the ball not necessarily going our way? Whether it be that final missed last tackle, the freak injury, that wrong route, or that forgotten play? 

What say you?

Oh and before anyone says it..

preseason wins don’t matter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Evaluation is the key in my eyes.

Two glaring things for me discipline and our kicker has the yips.......Romeo Romeo lol if you get that analogy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, falconidae said:

So, you understand that DQ isn't trying to win preseason games, right?

Said it at the bottom of the post. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GleasonForever! said:

Said it at the bottom of the post. 

No, you said preseason wins don't matter.

So, you do understand that Quinn isn't trying to win games. Because that means the other questions you asked aren't valid.

If the Falcons were actively trying to win games and losing, it would say something about the scouts, depth , coaching and luck, as it is it doesn't.

There is some luck involved- if Benkert  stays healthy, good chance the Falcons win at least 2 games this preseason.

 

Ovie_Lover and MarkMc44 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dude....the falcons lost tonight's preseason game because of two seperate punt muffs by two rookies deep in their own territory. That's the only td's the falcon's gave up.

The first string defense dominated the skins after the first drive, only giving up 3 points then.

The second string defense held it's own against the skins starters, then played very well against the other back ups.

The starting  offense sans Julio methodically drove the ball down the skins throats for a TD. And was starting to click. Both the starters and back ups did well when we ran in power sets in short yardage. The second half the qb was a kid been here a week with no game experience.

Hageman made a coupla plays. Riley made a coupla plays.

Had this been a regular season game, with Julio, it would've been a comfortable win.

kiwifalcon, NCCooley and duckhoa like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People put way too much stock into preseason games. I barely watch any preseason games because there's usually other more entertaining things I can do with my time.

Dr Long Shot likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Jesus said:

The OL and DL looked pretty great tonight. Our second string defense stuffed their #1 offense at the goal line. That’s pretty good depth.

I haven't watched much preseason action but I've been so impressed with the Falcons pass rush. I'm hoping and praying that it's legit and not another preseason mirage!! If the Falcons have a legit pass rush this year look out!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Jesus said:

The OL and DL looked pretty great tonight. Our second string defense stuffed their #1 offense at the goal line. That’s pretty good depth.

Preseason game 3 is a pretty good indicator of your weakness. Some of it can be covered with game planning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This post wasn’t to complain. I was seeking insight on those questions related to preseason games. I guess the tone of the message can’t be perceived properly due to it being text and not spoken.  

Flying Falcon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, GleasonForever! said:

This post wasn’t to complain. I was seeking insight on those questions related to preseason games. I guess the tone of the message can’t be perceived properly due to it being text and not spoken.  

I don't think the Falcons not winning preseason games has anything to do with a lack of depth. When you're in a tie game and you go for it on 4th and 9 from your own 20 or whatever it was against the Dolphins, does that sound like a coaching decision to try to "win" the game? That is why I said you're putting too much stock into preseason. Dan Quinn isn't coaching to try to "win" and the Falcons losing these games has nothing to do with a "lack of depth."

NCCooley likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I don't think the Falcons not winning preseason games has anything to do with a lack of depth. When you're in a tie game and you go for it on 4th and 9 from your own 20 or whatever it was against the Dolphins, does that sound like a coaching decision to try to "win" the game? That is why I said you're putting too much stock into preseason. Dan Quinn isn't coaching to try to "win" and the Falcons losing these games has nothing to do with a "lack of depth."

I think last year our backups looked a lot worse than they do this year, especially on defense. Seems like we have a deeper team this year, and I think the o-line shows promise. RT needs to improve though, hopefully Kaleb can get healthy soon and push Ty from the starting spot.

thajames likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, this year I feel we have the best depth we have had. This preseason we haven't been blown out like in previous years.

Offense- We actually signed OL with experience and when we have had Schaub(minus the HOF game) and Benkert we have gotten solid QB play. Etling and Simms are garbage. In years prior you couldn't evaulate anyone because of the OL not being able to block or because the QB couldnt throw it.

Defense- Overall I have liked what the D has done. Besides penalties and some poor individual performances we have looked competent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I don't think the Falcons not winning preseason games has anything to do with a lack of depth. When you're in a tie game and you go for it on 4th and 9 from your own 20 or whatever it was against the Dolphins, does that sound like a coaching decision to try to "win" the game? That is why I said you're putting too much stock into preseason. Dan Quinn isn't coaching to try to "win" and the Falcons losing these games has nothing to do with a "lack of depth."

Speaking of this. I was hoping we would kick it just to see Georgio getting more kicks in during live action

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it is preseason. I know these games dont count. The reason i would like to start winning preseason games now, because as usual we have a hard schedule this year. I believe that when you win preseason games even tho it doesnt count.. You bring that winning moral into the regular season because the team gets use to winning. All im saying is i dont want to keep losing games because that losing vibe can carry on to the regular season. Even the sorry as Saints won a preseason game on the road in LA. Yeah its meaningless, but that tells u something number one they won. And number 2 they beat them in their own house. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ATLPhil said:

I know it is preseason. I know these games dont count. The reason i would like to start winning preseason games now, because as usual we have a hard schedule this year. I believe that when you win preseason games even tho it doesnt count.. You bring that winning moral into the regular season because the team gets use to winning. All im saying is i dont want to keep losing games because that losing vibe can carry on to the regular season. Even the sorry as Saints won a preseason game on the road in LA. Yeah its meaningless, but that tells u something number one they won. And number 2 they beat them in their own house. 

Spoken like someone who didn't even watch that game to realize that the Chargers starters dominated the Saints starters and that it was 17-3 at halftime. But go on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Dan Quinn ends up being a successful coach, people are going to point to how he had great player development in the preseason and how he changed the way coaches look at preseason games.  He doesn't follow the NFL mode of game planning the third game.  He doesn't play the "starters" as much as other teams, yet, we come out the gate pretty good each year (when we don't get the injury bug!).

Dan just does it different.  Don't even look at it as our 1's vs their 1's cause like last night, he had some bubble players in with the people who are 1's for us.  It is 4 (5) scrimmages for us.  Less controlled than a normal opposing team scrimmage, but a scrimmage.  Nothing more.

vel likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Shelley#37 said:

If Dan Quinn ends up being a successful coach, people are going to point to how he had great player development in the preseason and how he changed the way coaches look at preseason games.  He doesn't follow the NFL mode of game planning the third game.  He doesn't play the "starters" as much as other teams, yet, we come out the gate pretty good each year (when we don't get the injury bug!).

Dan just does it different.  Don't even look at it as our 1's vs their 1's cause like last night, he had some bubble players in with the people who are 1's for us.  It is 4 (5) scrimmages for us.  Less controlled than a normal opposing team scrimmage, but a scrimmage.  Nothing more.

Dan Quinn has already been a successful coach. A very successful coach. 36-28 mark in the regular season and 3-2 in the playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Spoken like someone who didn't even watch that game to realize that the Chargers starters dominated the Saints starters and that it was 17-3 at halftime. But go on.

All casual fans see is "W" or "L". Nothing else. They have no clue what they're even looking at. 

Falconsfan567 and Ovie_Lover like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Spoken like someone who didn't even watch that game to realize that the Chargers starters dominated the Saints starters and that it was 17-3 at halftime. But go on.

He just looked at the box score and started crying.

Falconsfan567 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, GleasonForever! said:

wow! 

Yet in the REGULAR SEASON when it counts the Ravens are only 27-21 with 1 playoff appearance (a home WC loss last year) during this incredible winning streak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 8/23/2019 at 2:33 PM, Falconsfan567 said:

Spoken like someone who didn't even watch that game to realize that the Chargers starters dominated the Saints starters and that it was 17-3 at halftime. But go on.

Dude i watched the game from start to finish. All im saying is that even tho the starters was in for a few snaps and then taken out. Sean Payton & the other coaches managed to get them the W. Its frustrating seeing all other teams celebrating, and we are the ones shaking hands headed to the locker room saying good game.. Once again this is preseason & it doesnt count i know.... 

Edited by ATLPhil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now