Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
birdz4i

NFL 2019: Quinn facing heat to take Falcons back to playoffs

CHARLES ODUM (AP Sports Writer)

The Associated PressAug 22, 2019, 4:21 PM

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. (AP) -- Dan Quinn has gone back to his past to protect his future with the Atlanta Falcons.

Quinn fired his three coordinators following a disappointing 7-9 finish in 2018. He appointed himself as defensive coordinator. He was a longtime defensive coach, including two years directing Seattle's defense, before being hired as Falcons head coach in 2015.

''It's like putting on your old favorite sweat shirt,'' said Quinn of his new role.

Clearly, last season's decline was not acceptable after Quinn took the Falcons to the Super Bowl in his second season and back to the playoffs in 2017.

Team owner Arthur Blank has demonstrated his belief in the team's top talent by investing in long-term deals with such players as quarterback Matt Ryan, wide receiver Julio Jones , running back Devonta Freeman, cornerback Desmond Trufant and defensive tackle Grady Jarrett.

Ryan is 34. Jones is 30. They continued to perform at elite levels in 2018, but the window for this team is closing. There is pressure to win now.

The heat is on Quinn, who is 39-30, including 3-2 in the postseason, through four seasons.

Quinn refused to blame his first losing record on a devastating rash of injuries. Safeties Keanu Neal and Ricardo Allen, linebacker Deion Jones, Freeman and both starting guards were among those who landed on injured reserve. All who returned are expected to be ready for the start of the regular season.

The defense was improving before losing many of its top playmakers to injuries last year. Quinn is working on multiple looks this year. Julio Jones said he has been impressed by what he has seen from the unit in practice.

''They disguise really, really well,'' Jones said. ''Our depth is amazing throughout the whole defense. I'm looking forward to seeing what the defense is going to do this year. Just stay healthy, and it should be a fun season for us.''

Here are some keys for the Falcons in 2019:

FAMILIAR NAMES

Two former Atlanta assistants were brought back when Quinn hired Dirk Koetter as offensive coordinator and Mike Mularkey to coach tight ends. Koetter was Tampa Bay's coach the last four years. Mularkey most recently spent two seasons as Titans coach, and also has been the head coach at Buffalo and Jacksonville. Each has coordinated the Falcons' offense with Ryan. Mularkey was Ryan's first offensive coordinator in 2008-11; Koetter directed the Falcons' offense from 2012-14.

HIGH EXPECTATIONS

Ryan said he knows the Falcons are expected to make the playoffs. ''I'm not scared of the expectations or shy away from that or what we're capable of doing,'' he said. ''I think we can do great things as a team ... but how we get there is most important and focusing on how we get there is my message to them.''

O-LINE COMMITMENT

The Falcons have made a big commitment to providing better protection for Ryan after giving up 42 sacks in 2018. The Falcons signed free-agent guards James Carpenter and Jamon Brown and drafted two offensive linemen in the first round: guard Chris Lindstrom and tackle Kaleb McGary. Carpenter was slowed in camp by a hip flexor injury. McGary is expected to miss a few weeks after having a cardiac ablation, described as a minimally invasive procedure, to correct heart rhythm problems. He has returned to individual drills but is not yet ready for game action.

NEW HELP FOR DQ

Quinn said newly hired special assistant Bob Sutton , Kansas City's defensive coordinator the last six seasons, will be crucial. Sutton was hired to focus on game strategies including clock management, time-out usage, and replay review, helping to free Quinn for his new responsibilities with the defense.

''I've enjoyed doing both roles,'' Quinn said. ''I wouldn't be able to do it if I didn't have all the support from the coaches on offense and having Bob here.''

DEVONTA'S BACKUPS

The depth chart at running back behind Freeman is a big question after Tevin Coleman signed with San Francisco. The good news is Freeman has made a strong return after missing 14 games last season with knee and groin injuries.

Even with a healthy Freeman, the Falcons have considered having a more shared role of the backup job. Ito Smith ran for 315 yards and four touchdowns. Brian Hill has looked explosive at times. Kenjon Barner, also competing for a spot on returns, and rookie Qadree Ollison are behind Smith and Hill.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-2019-quinn-facing-heat-falcons-back-playoffs-160249004--nfl.html

People are making too much of this. Yeah postseason success is what we want (especially after Super Bowl LI), but I don't doubt that we'll be back in the playoffs provided the injury debacle doesn't happen again. Even if it does, I think this team will be more prepared for that.

As the article said, DQ's win/loss record as HC is:

Regular season: 39-30

Postseason: 3-2

In that short time span we've been in the playoffs in back-to-back seasons, Ryan was named MVP, and we won the NFC.

DQ is fine.

Quinn is not even on a warmed up seat yet. If we have a terrible excuse for a season, he'll probably be moving towards a hotter seat. He is not on the hot seat after one injury laden season. Also,Dan Quinn gets us to the playoffs. That's huge. And also, show me the better alternative to Quinn. Great coaches don't just grow on trees. They're extremely sought-after. 

Quinn is a good head coach that has given this team a lot of success and is only the second head coach the Falcons have ever had that got us to a Super Bowl. This article is clickbait garbage.

Edited by ATLskinjob

2 minutes ago, ATLskinjob said:

Quinn is not even on a warmed up seat yet. If we have a terrible excuse for a season, he'll probably be moving towards a hotter seat. Dan Quinn gets to the playoffs, and also show the better alternative to Quinn. 

Quinn is a good head coach that has given this team a lot of success. This article is clickbait garbage.

Quinn in a very good coach EXCEPT during the game. Poor clock management, multiple failures to take control of the TEAM--- not just the defense--- during critical junctures, poor timing on challenges: Quinn's failures as a gameday coach are numerous.

That being said, I remember when we fired Leeman Bennett, and how that worked out. Stability counts for something.

2 minutes ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

Quinn in a very good coach EXCEPT during the game. Poor clock management, multiple failures to take control of the TEAM--- not just the defense--- during critical junctures, poor timing on challenges: Quinn's failures as a gameday coach are numerous.

That being said, I remember when we fired Leeman Bennett, and how that worked out. Stability counts for something.

His clock management can definitely be questionable at times, but I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say that he fails to take control of the team.

I would also say that his value as a defensive mind far outweighs any failures at clock management.

Just now, ATLskinjob said:

His clock management can definitely be questionable at times, but I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say that he fails to take control of the team.

I would also say that his value as a defensive mind far outweighs any failures at clock management.

There are times when the situation called for a runaway OC to have their calls reined in. The Super Bowl is the most egregious example, but there are others.

I didn't mention it, but it was QUINN who hired the utterly inept Marquand Manuel, as well as the drunken fool. He could easily have been justifiably fired for that alone.

Lastly, what "defensive mind"??? It was Pete Carroll running the show in Seattle. Since coming here, Quinn's defenses have been no better than occasionally competent for brief stretches!!! I am not in favor of firing him, because there is no one waiting who is demonstrably better. But Quinn has done NOTHING to earn "defensive mind" status.

4 hours ago, HouseofEuphoria said:

Regardless of injuries and schedule, if Quinn goes worse than playoffs he's probably done.

Only thing is if the Falcons go 10 - 6 and miss the playoffs. Then he's maybe safe for another year.

Yeah I’m certainly not sold on him as a head coach.... position coach yes. I just don’t feel he has enough control and discipline on his team. But like I always say.... I’ll gladly eat crow pie feathers and all! :lol:

All the posts saying Quinn will be back based on his record, or how far he's gotten us, overlook the fact that he blew a 25-point Superbowl lead.  Missing the playoffs, with no injuries this time and while being the DC, may be enough to show he's the wrong guy to get us back there to win one.

6 hours ago, Wardog357 said:

Yeah I’m certainly not sold on him as a head coach.... position coach yes. I just don’t feel he has enough control and discipline on his team. But like I always say.... I’ll gladly eat crow pie feathers and all! :lol:

Discipline is the key.  If you have discipline you have focus, those laps of focus at times really hurts this team (I.e., dropping catchable passes, jumping offsides 4th and 1 in the red zone, missing a blitz pickup to seal the game)

11 hours ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

There are times when the situation called for a runaway OC to have their calls reined in. The Super Bowl is the most egregious example, but there are others.

I didn't mention it, but it was QUINN who hired the utterly inept Marquand Manuel, as well as the drunken fool. He could easily have been justifiably fired for that alone.

Lastly, what "defensive mind"??? It was Pete Carroll running the show in Seattle. Since coming here, Quinn's defenses have been no better than occasionally competent for brief stretches!!! I am not in favor of firing him, because there is no one waiting who is demonstrably better. But Quinn has done NOTHING to earn "defensive mind" status.

This!!

1 hour ago, red falcon said:

Blank would be a fool to let him go. Who would he replace him with? We would be worse off.

Its happened before , and we were fine. Quinn has trouble winning the big one,  he folds alot. Doesnt matter  , if this was any other owner besides Blank, Quinn would have been fired after that 25 point lead was blown in the SB.  

14 hours ago, ATLskinjob said:

Superbowl 51 blows that theory out of the water.  Sack Brady 5 times, but can't run the clock with rushes and kick a FG.  Defense can't fix dumb coaching.

13 minutes ago, CoachCatchPhrase said:

Do tell then? What has Dan Quinn done that makes him a GREAT coach? I await this answer with baited breath!

He has actually developed players the several years he been here, the team is always ready for big games, how many times did we lose Monday night games under Smitty? He is great at finding talent and communicating that with TD to get players that fit. He is a great defensive mind. He got the team to a SB and should've won it. Most of all he isn't loyal to anyone and will replace you if you ain't performing. 

So how about you do tell why you think he is bad, guessing from your tone I know where you gonna take this argument. Who would you replace him with? Why? How is that person better?