Falcons' Chris Lindstrom impresses with quick recovery

Osiruz

After watching star QB Matt Ryan get battered like a cheap piñata in 2018, the Falcons knew they had to address the offensive line this year. While the selection of Chris Lindstrom surprised quite a few people, most analysts agree it was a smart move.

Lindstrom was widely considered the best guard in the draft and someone who can come in and start immediately. That said, rookies will always have their rough spots — even the first rounders. That’s why recent comments from Dan Quinn are highly encouraging about what we can expect out of Lindstrom.

I think he has a rare ability to recover quickly. If he sees something, he can come back and fix it even during the play. If there’s a mistake that’s made, he’s able to come back, see the correction, take it and apply it. He’s got a rare mindset of getting better, of improvement...he doesn’t feel like it’s his first year, even though it is. I love the attitude that he’s bringing. I knew that he was going to be strong and have the urgency to play. He’s exceeded what I thought and I already had high expectations in those two areas. - Dan Quinn

All signs are pointing to Lindstrom starting at right guard on Day 1. That’s why it’s critical that he possess the ability to quickly improve, not just from game to game, but within a game or within a drive. The Falcons need him to correct what he’s doing from play to play if this offense is going to reach its full potential. From the sounds of it, Chris Lindstrom is doing just that.

It’s an incredibly encouraging sign for Atlanta’s first rounder. Let’s hope it continues to bear fruit into the regular season.

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2019/8/21/20825613/falcons-rookie-guard-chris-lindstrom-impresses-with-quick-recovery-dan-quinn-likes-it

1 minute ago, vel said:

Man there was a play last Thursday where the rest of the OL was in disarray and you just saw Lindstrom 1v1 standing his man up at the LOS. It was impressive. The kid is going to be very good. 

He's gonna be a guy that other fans compare their first round guard to hoping they can get their own chris.

5 minutes ago, vel said:

Man there was a play last Thursday where the rest of the OL was in disarray and you just saw Lindstrom 1v1 standing his man up at the LOS. It was impressive. The kid is going to be very good. 

Yeah he impressed me against the jets, his only blown assignment was due to miscommunication. 

6 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

He will be the next great All-Pro OG.

Maybe. He's gotta prove it on the field though. 
It's about consistency. Can he rebound after getting beat and shoreup that area to a point he doesn't get be like that again. And not just in that game, but going forward throughout the season.

Being an All-Pro OG isn't easy. There are some darn good players he's going to have to be better than. I'd caution against overestimating. I'd first settle for good or maybe very good. Then build from there. 

It’s good to know that he’s who we thought he could be.  

The NFL is littered with dud 1st rounders who never lived up to expectations.

For Chris, he’s showing why we took him at a position of great need & quickly proving that he is capable. I find relief in knowing that.  I also see a guy who’ll do whatever it takes to stay in front of the learning curve.  

It’s all about getting reps with his teammates and gaining knowledge & experience. It’s about communicating & recognition too.  

He’ll be like a fine wine improving over time.

32 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

The main concern with him is really just bullrush/getting overpowered.

He does a good job recovering, and getting a 2nd stance, but on a bullrush that still puts you in the QBs lap.

If he can learn to stand up to the bullrush, he should be very good.

His anchor is actually one of his better traits. He gives ground, naturally, but he can drop anchor and push back, which is impressive for a rookie. 

2 hours ago, vel said:

Lindstrom has far exceeded my expectations as far as his technique, instincts, and skill level. I know that come opening day, he gonna take some lumps, but still, the kid is so technically proficient it's unreal. Once he makes his rounds,  learns the nuances of his opponents by heart and adjusts, he is gonna be good. Real good.

BTW...Was everyone as impressed by the hand speed Lindstrom showed with the speed gloves on that piece showed during the dolphin game? His hands were going so fast they blurred. That's impressive for a big guy, and translates into a guard who will not get beat by those dt's who rely on very fast hand violence versus size/strength like Grady/Donald do, while Lindstrom's technique/footwork should make him a match for DT's that rely on power.

2 hours ago, Yo_Lover said:

He's gonna be a guy that other fans compare their first round guard to hoping they can get their own chris.

I know he hasn't yet played a meaningful game, but judging by his play so far, I agree.

Edited by Fiddlin John's Ghost

1 hour ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Maybe. He's gotta prove it on the field though. 
It's about consistency. Can he rebound after getting beat and shoreup that area to a point he doesn't get be like that again. And not just in that game, but going forward throughout the season.

Being an All-Pro OG isn't easy. There are some darn good players he's going to have to be better than. I'd caution against overestimating. I'd first settle for good or maybe very good. Then build from there. 

49 minutes ago, Osiruz said:

He moves like one, but he's going to have to have a learning curve in the beginning. 

I know he will have a learning curve, but I think in the end he will be one of the best at his position at some point in his career.

He just has that feel about him. Of course I could be wrong, but I think he will be a really good one.

18 minutes ago, Godzilla1985 said:

Yeah it was a WTF pick for me when I saw it as I was expecting (hoping) for a d-lineman but I must say I am thoroughly impressed and glad he’s here.

I was actually in the movies watching Avengers next to a couple of Falcons fans. I had no clue who they'd take. Was beginning to accept it may be Wilkins. When the movie ended and it was Lindstrom, I truly had no emotion because I never bothered watching him. Didn't think he was an option. But I agree. I'm all aboard with Lindstrom.