Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
marvinthemartian

A quick, non Falcon related post before the season starts

9 posts in this topic

I know this is not Falcon related but humor me...the Falcons season hasn’t started yet and this is at least Atlanta related. I just want to publicly congratulate Braves Manager Brian Snitker. I know he may make some questionable decisions from an in-game management perspective, but the more I see of him the more I really like him. He seems like a genuinely good guy, and a loyal 40+ year Braves veteran who treats his players like adults. 

I loved the way he handled Acuna. Benched him but explained why. He and Acuna both agreed. Then when Acuna was put back in the leadoff spot Tuesday, Snit was the first guy out to defend him when he was hit by the first pitch. The players seem to really love him and play hard for him. Is he the best game manager?  Nope. But is he the best possible manager for this team right now? I truly believe he is. I am really enjoying this team right now and how it is playing under Snit’s leadership. If anyone deserves to be rewarded for years of faithful service it is Brian Snitker. 

32 minutes ago, marvinthemartian said:

Lol I guess they didn’t humor me. Oh well.  Mods please forgive me:)

Probably not gonna get alot of love or people agreeing with you on this form Snit around here :D    More than a few people like him as a dude but hate his in game decisions and even more so some thing he is one of the worst managers in the league because of his terrible in game management. 

I feel about Snit the same way I felt about Bobby.   Great leader of men and great guy, relates to the players well who in turn usually play hard for him, but mediocre managerial skills which are greatly exposed in post-season.

Snitker is a great guy and I really do admire how hard the guys will play for him. Have to love his passion and commitment to the Braves. His game decisions are lacking though. Hes admittedly a little stubborn but I'll give him credit for coming around on some things. Hopefully he continues to evolve. As long as we're winning I'm fine with Snitker being here. As long as hes here I'll root for him.

3 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Snitker is a great guy and I really do admire how hard the guys will play for him. Have to love his passion and commitment to the Braves. His game decisions are lacking though. Hes admittedly a little stubborn but I'll give him credit for coming around on some things. Hopefully he continues to evolve. As long as we're winning I'm fine with Snitker being here. As long as hes here I'll root for him.

At first, I thought Snitker was good with the players but otherwise overwhelmed at the big league level. I thought the braves were being cheap after not hiring someone else after Snit's interim phase.

Then last year happened. OK...I was wrong, but Snit still wasnt "The Guy" in my eyes. I thought last year might of been a fluke.

Then this year came. The braves are far from being a fluke, and I now know how wrong I was about Snit. IMO..Snit's decision making up until now has been hampered by his ability to trust his assistants enough to rely on them and not try to do too much himself. Now I believe he has over come that. He has cut down on the number of times I'm going WTF? after making a call. Snit has silenced any criticism of being soft and too nice with the Acuna deal. IMO Last season Snit was as uptight as the team in it's first year of success together. His as a manager at this level and most of the young team sans Freddie and Kakes. This season that pressure is gone.

LouDog likes this

Posted (edited)

I have strong feelings about Snit. I can see some good, but I see so much that leaves a lot to be desired. Unknown and 007dawg pretty much summed up how I feel...

He's below average tactically, is a good leader whose players like him, but doesn't understand or employ things like leverage and lineup optimization well at all. Therefore, his bullpen usage has never been top notch, and his leash is too long or too short for players. It took forever just to get Culberson starts this year (and same for Camargo, who was being touted by Snit and the organization as someone who would get lots of playing time early to rest guys (never happened-unless it was being justified by unreported laziness, disrespect, or a drop-off in perceived production... which all eventually happened once he got consistent starts when Dansby went down). And his disciplining is... scattershot. 

I hope he does well because he's ours, but I'd be lying if I said he was a top tier coach that is maximizing our chances to win every night. 

Edited by ATL Fan in the DMV

At first I was like who? Then I was like ok. Now I'm like cool....

Snit has grown on me. He has the fire power to deliver a championship and I believe he can manage his way to one.

Go Braves!

LouDog and TheTrue7 like this