A real Matt Ryan Discussion: not homer based

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was just googling this am and I hadn’t realized just how great Matt Ryan really is. We often mistakenly put him in same class as BRADY, Brees, rivers, and Eli. That’s a false narrative. For one, Bre

Anyone who actually knows football knows Matt Ryan is a **** good QB. Problem is, Atlanta has such a history of failure that it isn’t exciting to talk about Atlanta, so he doesn’t get credit from the

Matt needs two rings, rings change the narrative. It’s the only reason why Dan Marino isn’t called the 2nd/3rd greatest QB of all-time. If/When he gets those, he’ll be in conversation as a Top 5

1 hour ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Probably not...the Jets had Favre and went 11-5. The Dolphins had their weird Wild cat year that year and won that division also at 11-5. The one year that division is great, Brady is hurt. Go figure

The AFC East is only great when Brady is not around. That’s how it works.

9 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I am just curious. Are you saying Ryan is a better quarterback than Tom Brady?

Statistically, yes. Put Brady, Ryan, Brees, and Manning’s stats together on a list up to the 11 year point of their careers. One of them won’t belong. Ryan has over 12k more yards and almost 40 more TDs while being just as efficient. 

Again, just last year alone Brady’s winning qb rating was worse than Ryan’s losing qb rating. 

Edited by droopy1592
13 minutes ago, droopy1592 said:

Statistically, yes. Put Brady, Ryan, Brees, and Manning’s stats together on a list up to the 11 year point of their careers. One of them won’t belong. Ryan has over 12k more yards and almost 40 more TDs while being just as efficient. 

Again, just last year alone Brady’s winning qb rating was worse than Ryan’s losing qb rating. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&player_id1_hint=Drew+Brees&player_id1_select=Drew+Brees&fromyear_1=2006&toyear_1=2016&player_id1=BreeDr00&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Peyton+Manning&player_id2_select=Peyton+Manning&fromyear_2=1998&toyear_2=2008&player_id2=MannPe00&idx=players&player_id3_hint=Tom+Brady&player_id3_select=Tom+Brady&fromyear_3=2001&toyear_3=2011&player_id3=BradTo00&idx=players&player_id4_hint=Matt+Ryan&player_id4_select=Matt+Ryan&fromyear_4=2008&toyear_4=2018&player_id4=RyanMa00&idx=players

Made the list. I used Brees first 11 years in New Orleans though instead of San Diego. Just wanted to see how he compared to Brees in that span.

15 minutes ago, droopy1592 said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&player_id1_hint=Drew+Brees&player_id1_select=Drew+Brees&player_id1=BreeDr00&fromyear_1=2002&toyear_1=2012&player_id2_hint=Peyton+Manning&player_id2_select=Peyton+Manning&player_id2=MannPe00&fromyear_2=1998&toyear_2=2008&player_id3_hint=Tom+Brady&player_id3_select=Tom+Brady&player_id3=BradTo00&fromyear_3=2001&toyear_3=2011&player_id4_hint=Matt+Ryan&player_id4_select=Matt+Ryan&player_id4=RyanMa00&fromyear_4=2008&toyear_4=2018

Here it is with Brees counting the San Diego years.

55 minutes ago, droopy1592 said:

Give an above average QB a great defense year after year and he’ll stay at the top of the division. Don’t know why everyone keeps omitting defensive performances from a team stat: wins. 

What I don’t understand is why people keep claiming NE is a “great defense”. They haven’t been “great” on that side of ball for at least a decade.

34 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I don’t understand why people keep claiming NE is a “great defense”. They haven’t been “great” on that side of ball for nearly a decade.

Since 2001, their defensive DVOA average is 15th.   In 2017 they were 29th.  They are good at keeping people out of the endzone, but these are not the 86 Giants or 94 Browns

17 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Since 2001, their defensive DVOA average is 15th.   In 2017 they were 29th.  They are good at keeping people out of the endzone, but these are not the 86 Giants or 94 Browns

Really, just 15th since 2001? That’s even more mediocre than I thought. Further proof of these false narratives thrown around trying to say it’s all 

He’s a great coach who was blessed to have greatest QB of all time fall in his lap. BB’s genius was having the ability to at least partially realize what he had in Brady. 

5 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Patriots DVOA on Defense:

2018: 16th

2017:  31st

2016:  16th

2015:  12th

2014:  12th

2013:  20th

2012:  15th

2011:  30th

2010:  21st

The thing about New England is they play a new game every week. It's all tailored to the opponent. That's why I always talk about good defenses holding teams to below average productions. If the opponent averages 25 points, I want us to give up 21 or less. I don't care about the yards or whatever. That was always my gripe about the 2017 defense. They were a good group, no doubt, but partly because they played some bad teams. For example, allowing "only" 20 points to the Dolphins sounds good until you realize they averaged 18 points per game that season. That's also why the reverse is true, with them holding the Eagles to 15 points when they averaged 29. They need more of those performances. 

12 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

2009: 15th

2008:  17th

2007:  11th

2006:  7th

2005:  5th

2004:  27th

2003:  7th

2002:  2nd

2001: 14th

Very telling. 

Like I said earlier, some great defenses in brady’s early years, but mostly meh ones for most of last decade. 

Kinda Shoots that false narrative out of the water, eh? 

None of this disparages BB as the greatest coach. If anything, it further proves he’s been the greatest ever continuing to win with middle-of-road overall talent on defense.

3 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Very telling. 

Like I said earlier, some great defenses in brady’s early years, but mostly meh/middle-of-road ones for most of last decade. 

Kinda Shoots that false narrative out of the water, eh? 

You notice it’s gone silent in here...

Honestly, the teams B & B have managed to bring to three straight SB’s are above average from a talent perspective.   B & B make them better than they otherwise would be.  Just as they do for one another

10 minutes ago, vel said:

The thing about New England is they play a new game every week. It's all tailored to the opponent. That's why I always talk about good defenses holding teams to below average productions. If the opponent averages 25 points, I want us to give up 21 or less. I don't care about the yards or whatever. That was always my gripe about the 2017 defense. They were a good group, no doubt, but partly because they played some bad teams. For example, allowing "only" 20 points to the Dolphins sounds good until you realize they averaged 18 points per game that season. That's also why the reverse is true, with them holding the Eagles to 15 points when they averaged 29. They need more of those performances. 

Yeah, our defense was on the brink of being special in the ‘17 playoffs. Shutting down both LA and philly was no easy feat. 

And we’re on paper more talented coming into ‘19. 

9 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Yeah, our defense was on the brink of being special in the ‘17 playoffs. Shutting down both LA and philly was no easy feat. 

And we’re on paper more talented coming into ‘19. 

It was. That playoff defense is what I had been banging the table for all that season when people kept saying it was a top group. THAT group was top ten. If that was the case all year, we'd probably have gotten a first round bye that postseason. 

But that's also why I'm wildly optimistic about this group this year. The DL is much deeper, the LBs are better, and the secondary is more diverse. Throw in DQ leading them and they should be good. It's down to communication, discipline, and doing it. We got a glimpse of it vs the Jets. One TD drive then nothing but stops from there. 

4 minutes ago, vel said:

It was. That playoff defense is what I had been banging the table for all that season when people kept saying it was a top group. THAT group was top ten. If that was the case all year, we'd probably have gotten a first round bye that postseason. 

But that's also why I'm wildly optimistic about this group this year. The DL is much deeper, the LBs are better, and the secondary is more diverse. Throw in DQ leading them and they should be good. It's down to communication, discipline, and doing it. We got a glimpse of it vs the Jets. One TD drive then nothing but stops from there. 

I think we’re set up, just gotta go out and do it. Beasley’s got to give us something, and Oliver needs to grow up fast.

And of course stay healthy.