NWFALCON

Offensive line

49 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I don’t want this to turn into a flame war or anything, but I rewatched most of the 1s on the offensive line again last night.

What I saw was blitzes that got thru due to lack of game planning and communication. This doesn’t concern me much as it’s preseason. 

The one thing I saw several times was feet getting tangled up amongst our guys. I’m not a football player and I don’t know what growing pains are associated with having 3 new linemen working together, but I wanted to ask if tripping or stepping on your teammate is something that is reduced over time by learning the movement and stride of a player or is It just a total random occurrence? 

None of our guys got knocked on their *** without being tripped or stepped on by the person next to them. Once technique is cleaned up and we get a bit more aggressive on hand placement, I think we will look even more stout. 

Thanks for looking,

RB

Too many, I believe, are over reacting just a bit.  Matt ran a vanilla offence, didn't call an audible for better protection (he knew what was coming), they didn't have their starting WRs  and RB on the field and yet still moved the ball down field...not worried at all.

Not concerned about the OL but some guys got beat physically.  However we all know Williams is a **** and a bounty hunting cheat. :D

Nah Sambrailo was getting destroyed 1v1 and Brown is a bit of a liability which I knew he’d be, Carpenter is better despite some of the things I’ve heard 

We blitzed on a higher % of plays than the Jets Thursday night, can’t blame blitzing. Our Oline has gotten a lot of national attention the past couple days from media and analysts alike for standing out with poor play 

Falcons In 2012 and bighurt like this

40 minutes ago, octoslash said:

Bless you for bringing something other than whining and panic to the board.  

Also, JETS coaches were just being dix.  It's easy to send the blitz every play in a fake game with nothing at stake.

Here's the thing im noticing.. So teams dont game prep for pre-season got it.. But the majority of the teams in the league the last few years are being more aggressive in the preseason than we are. So should Quinn change his strategy on preseason game prep.? Idk, but im worried hes putting our players in a position to be injured if he dosnt at least rethink how he prepares for ps games. 

Almost every team excluding ours are using blitz packages in the preseason. Hopefully Quinn has understood this by now and at least prepares our Oline for it by next game. I watched the Bears/Giants game last night, same thing.. Giants sending blitzes alot, Tampa also blitzed alot, Denver did also. 

Is it time for Quinn to at least put some effort into a strategy to keep our players from being injured? I believe so

5 minutes ago, Dirtybird56 said:

Nah Sambrailo was getting destroyed 1v1 and Brown is a bit of a liability which I knew he’d be, Carpenter is better despite some of the things I’ve heard 

We blitzed on a higher % of plays than the Jets Thursday night, can’t blame blitzing. Our Oline has gotten a lot of national attention the past couple days from media and analysts alike for standing out with poor play 

On GMF our Oline got bashed hard.. Basically all 3 commentators agree our Oline looked worse than any line in the league and they did make mention how many high draft picks we had. Basically they put the blame on lack of coaching as they said our Olineman are proven professionals individually. Maybe its time for a new Oline coach.. Maybe Quinns job isnt as secure as we believe.. Idk, but I do know we looked bad and its getting national attention 

Lowndesfalc likes this

The rewatch helps a lot.  Sambraillo was the only one that concerned me as he was just getting beat at times but the pressure packages forced our guys into odd sets and being out of place which made containing the rush look worse than it would have with a game plan.  If we played the Jets in the regular season, we could put an end to a lot of that nonsense just with tempo and making them pay for sending so many as guys will be open (like the Ito lob pass to get us down to 1st and G).  I do expect it to take time for this line to gel and I do not expect the line to immediately become world beaters but I do expect improvement from last year.

vitaman, bighurt, NWFALCON and 1 other like this

16 minutes ago, Dirtybird56 said:

He wasn’t getting destroyed. I thought the same when watching the game live but when he fell, he was tripped by Lindstrom. Ty got dominated on one play and over reached on another which led to him getting beat. 

Brown wasn't terrible either. The okay where he fell, he was stepped on too. He pancaked Quinnen on the first drive. Brown definitely needs to work on pad level and hand placement but I don’t think he was horrible after focusing more on plays. 

Blitzing is brought up because there were times where 6 guys came and times where they showed 6 and 4 came with one being an LB. communication amongst our guys isn’t there yet and that led to a lot of pressures because defenders were accounted for. 

2016 Dolphins Preseason game.  The entire line looked like a set of turnstiles.  Everyone lost thier minds saying the season was doomed, the line was the worst ever, etc.   It took a few weeks, but the line gelled and helped pave the way on our Suoer Bowl run.  

After rewatching some of the game, I agree with NWFs assessment.  Guys need to get used to playing together.  We've been shuffling guys in and out in different combinations all camp so the eventual starting group is going to need some time to get in sync with each other.

The only guy I am really concerned about is Sambraillo.  He looked terrible..  and word from camp has been that he isn't doing well.   Here is to hoping McGary is back asap!

FalconFan1st likes this

7 minutes ago, NWFALCON said:

He wasn’t getting destroyed. I thought the same when watching the game live but when he fell, he was tripped by Lindstrom. Ty got dominated on one play and over reached on another which led to him getting beat. 

Brown wasn't terrible either. The okay where he fell, he was stepped on too. He pancaked Quinnen on the first drive. Brown definitely needs to work on pad level and hand placement but I don’t think he was horrible after focusing more on plays. 

Blitzing is brought up because there were times where 6 guys came and times where they showed 6 and 4 came with one being an LB. communication amongst our guys isn’t there yet and that led to a lot of pressures because defenders were accounted for. 

Don't waste your time.  Some folk just aren't happy unless the sky is falling. 

O-line not tripping each other decreases as they play together. But it’s not just knowing how a guy sets his stance, it’s also knowing what the guy next to you is seeing.  Think about the military. They march in step so they don’t trip each other.  But if one outside soldier starts a left turn and the inside guy doesn’t, they still trip.

Same thing when one guy recognizes a blitz and is expecting the lineman next to him to do something, but that other guy doesn’t see that.  

Eg. The OG sees a LB looping from outside to inside around a DT and he shoves the DT out wide expecting the OT to pick up that DT so the OG can then pick up the LB. A trip or stumble may happen if the OT isn’t expecting the OG to push wider than normal in a “transfer” of that DT.  The result is the OG or OT stumble over each other because the OG stepped wider than normal and the OT wasn’t expecting that.

58 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Here's the thing im noticing.. So teams dont game prep for pre-season got it.. But the majority of the teams in the league the last few years are being more aggressive in the preseason than we are. So should Quinn change his strategy on preseason game prep.? Idk, but im worried hes putting our players in a position to be injured if he dosnt at least rethink how he prepares for ps games. 

Almost every team excluding ours are using blitz packages in the preseason. Hopefully Quinn has understood this by now and at least prepares our Oline for it by next game. I watched the Bears/Giants game last night, same thing.. Giants sending blitzes alot, Tampa also blitzed alot, Denver did also. 

Is it time for Quinn to at least put some effort into a strategy to keep our players from being injured? I believe so

So how does your theory jive with the fact we didnt have any injurys last pre season - Quinn is doing the same thing.

Not true. Quinn called just as many or more blitzes as Greg Williams did. The Jets were showing blitz a lot of time but just sending 4. 

48 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

On GMF our Oline got bashed hard.. Basically all 3 commentators agree our Oline looked worse than any line in the league and they did make mention how many high draft picks we had. Basically they put the blame on lack of coaching as they said our Olineman are proven professionals individually. Maybe its time for a new Oline coach.. Maybe Quinns job isnt as secure as we believe.. Idk, but I do know we looked bad and its getting national attention 

LOL

athell, Ergo Proxy and FentayeJones like this

Just now, FentayeJones said:

I got a chuckle out of that too. GMF

Same ones every preseason bro.

OL is set once we get Kaleb worked in at RT. 

Ergo Proxy likes this

25 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

So how does your theory jive with the fact we didnt have any injurys last pre season - Quinn is doing the same thing.

Not true. Quinn called just as many or more blitzes as Greg Williams did. The Jets were showing blitz a lot of time but just sending 4. 

Im not saying our players will be hurt.. But if im a olineman and im being coached to just stand there and block knowing teams are coming with blitzes, id be kinda pissed imo.. Basically feel like the coach you're supposed to trust for your best interests has left you hanging.. Idk, ive played football and try to put myself in these guys shoes. Im sure it sucks for them to see Ryan sacked as much as he was Thursday night.. Ive worked for managers thats tied my hands at work and left us unprepared for situations and believe me, anyone with pride gets pis$ed off 

3 hours ago, octoslash said:

Bless you for bringing something other than whining and panic to the board.  

Also, JETS coaches were just being dix.  It's easy to send the blitz every play in a fake game with nothing at stake.

typical for that DC though, former taints DC against the Falcons in preseason, 'yeah, I better not do another bounty kind of thing, so we'll just blitz every down in a game that doesn't mean anything against a team I hate'

I really wanted to see Q retaliate and blitz at least every down the next series

2 hours ago, FentayeJones said:

I didn’t watch, but if it’s true that we blitzed as much or more than the Jets, why wasn’t Darnold getting  beat up like Ryan?  If the Jets handled out blitz, why could we not return the favor.

This pokes a tiny hole in the no gameplan theory floating around.