FalconsIn2012

Questionable Coaching Decision: Matt Ryan

102 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Vandy said:

This is why we drafted McGary, who will end up being our most important  pick from last year’s draft.

We (you and I ) never bought into the “We’ll be okay with Ty” coach speak.

Yeah they didnt trade up to draft a first round Tackle to sit behind Ty.

Ovie_Lover, falcons007 and Vandy like this

39 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Why? That’s what Willians does. Every team is evaluating what THEY do. He lives and dies by the blitz. So why would they not allow a coach that blitzes to fine tune what HE does? We’re fine tuning what we do. If Quinn was a blitzing scheme he’d be doing what Williams did. Looking at his blitzes. He wants to get pressure with the front 4 and cover on the back. So that’s what he evaluated. Williams wants to blitz the qb so that’s what he evaluated. Same with the broncos. They live and die by the blitz. If they want to protect Matt don’t put any blitzing teams on the pre season schedule. 

Then we need to gameplan for it.  Put Ryan at risk last night.  If the OL had no chance, why take the risk.

Ty did look terrible, my problem is he wasnt the only one. They each took turns stinking, and literally being put on their butt. I watch every game including pre season every yr, and i think this was one of the worst group efforts, that i have seen.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

13 minutes ago, Vandy said:

This is why we drafted McGary, who will end up being our most important  pick from last year’s draft.

We (you and I ) never bought into the “We’ll be okay with Ty” coach speak.

I wasn’t happy when Ty’s contract was announced, but I thought he would be our starting RT this year.  Shows what I know.

But if we are giving the OL a pass for no game plan, doesn’t he get a pass as well

Vandy likes this

1 hour ago, athell said:

So you honestly think the qb's wearing a red jersey has a higher chance of happening in real life than doing away with the preseason entirely?  It will never happen.  Ever.  There have been mutterings for years over a reduced preseason or no preseason altogether.

You have an odd interpretation of the word "plausible".

Because it doesn’t effect owners bank account.  That’s why I said that

3 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I wasn’t happy when Ty’s contract was announced, but I thought he would be our starting RT this year.  Shows what I know.

But if we are giving the OL a pass for no game plan, doesn’t he get a pass as well

To your point, Ty wasn’t the only one shoved around last night. Lindstrom (as you know, a pick I wasn’t a big fan of) especially was mauled pretty badly. 

FalconsIn2012 likes this

13 minutes ago, athell said:

Yeah, same.  Never bought the Ty hype.

I do think he is capable back up with game prep. But I don’t trust him to hold up against premier talent. 

athell and Vandy like this

2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Because it doesn’t effect owners bank account.  That’s why I said that

It's a valid point, and probably the only reason why preseason football is still around tbh.  Be curious to see what happens with the CBA coming up.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

To your point, Ty wasn’t the only one shoved around last night. Lindstrom (as you know, a pick I wasn’t a big fan of) especially was mauled pretty badly. 

Jake wasn't any better.  The whole line looked bad...

Vandy likes this

6 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Brown as well.  Those 3 were our big offseason moves. Along with Carp & Kaleb who can’t play atm

Vandy likes this

12 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

He is high end of the backups, a guy who can hold against few teams. Ty has problem with premier pass rushers. I like him as back up in case starter goes down. He isn’t as bad as RS was last year.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

13 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Yup. It was an ugly practice game performance by the entire OL. REAL ugly.

Spts1 likes this

6 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

They couldn’t pick up exotic blitzes or stunts. Mack didn’t look good either. I wouldn’t judge the line from last night.

BoomGoesTheDynamite and athell like this

10 minutes ago, Vandy said:

He made some nice blocks against Quinnen Williams in Run game. 

athell likes this

9 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

He is high end of the backups, a guy who can hold against few teams. Ty has problem with premier pass rushers. I like him as back up in case starter goes down. He isn’t as bad as RS was last year.

Probably not fair as guys can and do improve, but I’ll Never completely get out of my head the sheer domination Beasley had over him in that ‘16 Denver game. Because of what I saw in that game I’ve never trusted Ty as our starter.

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

They couldn’t pick up exotic blitzes or stunts. Mack didn’t look good either. I wouldn’t judge the line from last night.

They been using stunts and blitzes in the NFL since what, the 40s or 50s, maybe earlier...

Vandy likes this

It was obvious from the conversation on the sideline with the OL coach that there were fixable issues with communication. It looked like they worked that out with Schweitzer and Gono in the game the line play improved. 

Also Gregg Williams is an ***.

57 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

He made some nice blocks against Quinnen Williams in Run game. 

Perhaps, but from what little I saw  he got beat on pretty badly. 

Lindstrom's got a ways to go too.........he's not as 'polished' (ala Quenton Nelson) as TAFT claimed he would be. 

FalconsIn2012 likes this

37 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Matt Ryan needed to be reminded how to run for his life again. I am excited to see Offense roll over defenses when they get decent line with game planning and Julio, Sanu and Ridley on the field.

Deadly. But I still think the line will be fine once the season starts. The only one I’m worried about is Ty. 

Vandy and BoomGoesTheDynamite like this

2 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Deadly. But I still think the line will be fine once the season starts. The only one I’m worried about is Ty. 

Or we have a bad defensive line practicing against a worse offensive line and its created a false sense of "we good" 

TheFatboi likes this

44 minutes ago, athell said:

Ty, at best, is a swing.  At best.  If we have to rely on him fulltime I think we are in trouble.  Granted...preseason...but not a good look for Ty.  Gono seemed to handle much much better.

Much better. Ty can handle a bull rush but speed? Omg!!! Gono can handle bull and speed. 

athell likes this

1 minute ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Or we have a bad defensive line practicing against a worse offensive line and its created a false sense of "we good" 

Lol. I don’t think that’s the case. It was with smith late in his tenure tho. Dull iron sharpening dull iron. 

athell and ⚡Slumerican⚡ like this