FalconsIn2012

Questionable Coaching Decision: Matt Ryan

102 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

 

Come on guys.... you're missing the bigger picture here.

This isn't the first time it's happened.  This is an annual thing.

2015 - Dolphins - It was so bad they pulled Matt in the 2nd quarter and then traded for Levitre 

2016 - Dolphins - Wasn't as bad as 2015 but was far from good

2017 - Cardinals - I don't remember the game being that bad but Schaub was playing in the 2nd quarter.

2018 - Jags - Ryan gets sacked multiple times, again, and Schaub finishes the 1st half, again.

So maybe Quinn should start game planning instead of letting his franchise QB get smacked around.

Oh and according to history the Falcons are going to stink it up and not be able to protect Ryan the next game.

Falcons are the worst team in the NFL in August.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Then we would start the season in an 0-5 hole every season because we play like garbage until week 2 usually.

No preseason would mean more practice reps, which is where they are making their most gains.  Everyone loves to talk about the Pats, the Pats are notoriously slow in September because they use the first few weeks as preseason and preseason as...well...especially meaningless.

I mentioned earlier, I would be all for more joint practices.  It would get the teams to go against other teams, without forcing 4 quarters of pointless football down their throats and risking injury.  Of course there is always risk of injury, but you hate to see it in these preseason games more than everything.  Practice has more value than preseason games.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Then they shouldn’t allow more than 2 blitzes per game of the OL is really at such s disadvantage during preseason due to lack of game plan.

Why? That’s what Willians does. Every team is evaluating what THEY do. He lives and dies by the blitz. So why would they not allow a coach that blitzes to fine tune what HE does? We’re fine tuning what we do. If Quinn was a blitzing scheme he’d be doing what Williams did. Looking at his blitzes. He wants to get pressure with the front 4 and cover on the back. So that’s what he evaluated. Williams wants to blitz the qb so that’s what he evaluated. Same with the broncos. They live and die by the blitz. If they want to protect Matt don’t put any blitzing teams on the pre season schedule. 

athell and Vandy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheFatboi said:

Why? That’s what Willians does. Every team is evaluating what THEY do. He lives and dies by the blitz. So why would they not allow a coach that blitzes to fine tune what HE does? We’re fine tuning what we do. If Quinn was a blitzing scheme he’d be doing what Williams did. Looking at his blitzes. He wants to get pressure with the front 4 and cover on the back. So that’s what he evaluated. Williams wants to blitz the qb so that’s what he evaluated. Same with the broncos. They live and die by the blitz. If they want to protect Matt don’t put any blitzing trans on the pre season schedule. 

I love the arbitrary rules being thrown out here like it's backyard football lol

I have a proposal : Von Miller needs to count to 8 Mississippi before he can rush.  All in favor?

Falconsfan567 and TheFatboi like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, athell said:

I love the arbitrary rules being thrown out here like it's backyard football lol

I have a proposal : Von Miller needs to count to 8 Mississippi before he can rush.  All in favor?

Right? Lol.  It’s football. There are teams that actually live and die by the blitz. And the funny thing is that was still vanilla for Willians. He wasn’t throwing the sink at Matt. Just doing basic blitzes but sending them from any and everywhere. 

athell likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, athell said:

No preseason would mean more practice reps, which is where they are making their most gains.  Everyone loves to talk about the Pats, the Pats are notoriously slow in September because they use the first few weeks as preseason and preseason as...well...especially meaningless.

I mentioned earlier, I would be all for more joint practices.  It would get the teams to go against other teams, without forcing 4 quarters of pointless football down their throats and risking injury.  Of course there is always risk of injury, but you hate to see it in these preseason games more than everything.  Practice has more value than preseason games.

That's not really true.

Bellicheck had Brady play deep into the 2nd pre-season game last year in order to get more work with his brand new group of WRs.  He might have played the entire 1st half.

It's not that the Pats start slow.  They finish strong and that's because they are coaching the **** of their players starting from pre-season.  That has a cumulative effect and that's why they're usually much better towards the end of the season than the beginning of it.

Practice is valuable but you have to have your team play against other teams otherwise you get into the 'Smitty trench situation' where one bad group practices against another bad group and you can't get an honest evaluation of either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't like seeing the hits, but Ryan could have taken himself out at any point and the coaches were watching the same game we were.Be willing to bet that Matt kept volunteering to go back out. 

Ergo Proxy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Right? Lol.  It’s football. There are teams that actually live and die by the blitz. And the funny thing is that was still vanilla for Willians. He wasn’t throwing the sink at Matt. Just doing basic blitzes but sending them from any and everywhere. 

Yup.  See : Literally every Gregg Williams defense in the preseason since the beginning of time

To the original point...coaches should have known this and should have had more max protect or personnel in there to not put Matt at risk.  But...this is also how they learn.  They now have a ton of film to review to get better as a unit.  Oh and please McGary come back as soon as you can brother, we need you.

Vandy and TheFatboi like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, athell said:

Yup.  See : Literally every Gregg Williams defense in the preseason since the beginning of time

To the original point...coaches should have known this and should have had more max protect or personnel in there to not put Matt at risk.  But...this is also how they learn.  They now have a ton of film to review to get better as a unit.  Oh and please McGary come back as soon as you can brother, we need you.

When Lindstrum is picking up the delayed blitz with ease during the regular season, remember that this game helped him learn how to do that.

Vandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

That's not really true.

Bellicheck had Brady play deep into the 2nd pre-season game last year in order to get more work with his brand new group of WRs.  He might have played the entire 1st half.

It's not that the Pats start slow.  They finish strong and that's because they are coaching the **** of their players starting from pre-season.  That has a cumulative effect and that's why they're usually much better towards the end of the season than the beginning of it.

Practice is valuable but you have to have your team play against other teams otherwise you get into the 'Smitty trench situation' where one bad group practices against another bad group and you can't get an honest evaluation of either. 

I'm talking about their record in Sept vs the rest of the months.  They start slow.  And it absolutely is because they aren't treating the preseason like folks seem to think.  Playing Brady in the 2nd game is all well and good, but they aren't game planning and scheming like they do in Sept. so it's not the same.

Practice is more valuable than preseason games.  This isn't just me saying it...this is a known fact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, athell said:

I'm talking about their record in Sept vs the rest of the months.  They start slow.  And it absolutely is because they aren't treating the preseason like folks seem to think.  Playing Brady in the 2nd game is all well and good, but they aren't game planning and scheming like they do in Sept. so it's not the same.

Practice is more valuable than preseason games.  This isn't just me saying it...this is a known fact.

I don't disagree.

But I'm sure you will agree if you don't practice against anyone else that's going to lead to problems.

One thing I've noticed is the Falcons don't do joint practices with Quinn which is too bad because you can get an honest evaluation of your team that way.... rather than seeing your franchise QB get smacked around in a game that doesn't count.

athell likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I don't disagree.

But I'm sure you will agree if you don't practice against anyone else that's going to lead to problems.

One thing I've noticed is the Falcons don't do joint practices with Quinn which is too bad because you can get an honest evaluation of your team that way.... rather than seeing your franchise QB get smacked around in a game that doesn't count.

I 100% agree bro.  I've been beating the joint practice drum hard this morning lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, athell said:

Yup.  See : Literally every Gregg Williams defense in the preseason since the beginning of time

To the original point...coaches should have known this and should have had more max protect or personnel in there to not put Matt at risk.  But...this is also how they learn.  They now have a ton of film to review to get better as a unit.  Oh and please McGary come back as soon as you can brother, we need you.

Exactly. And I think I’d like to see Gono start at RT next game. Just to see how he handles the speed rush which is ty’s Weakness. 

athell and Vandy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheFatboi said:

Exactly. And I think I’d like to see Gono start at RT next game. Just to see how he handles the speed rush which is ty’s Weakness. 

Yup.  Give Gono every opportunity to win the job until Kaleb returns (which I think they will).

TheFatboi and Sun Tzu 7 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheFatboi said:

Yep 

Ty, at best, is a swing.  At best.  If we have to rely on him fulltime I think we are in trouble.  Granted...preseason...but not a good look for Ty.  Gono seemed to handle much much better.

TheFatboi, Vandy and Ovie_Lover like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

I don’t agree with this because even tho you don’t want your qb to get hurt he’s still a football player. Matt needs to get hit some because he doesn’t get hit at practice. He was still sharp even thru the array of blitzes. Matt is tough as nails and he’s no b*tch. That’s what I love about him. I’d rather get rid of pre season all together than a red jersey. But without pre season how do you work out Kink’s and evaluate players? The only thing you can do is shorten pre and add more games. And players don’t want that. They protect the qb enough as it is. Can’t hit him high can’t hit him low. A defensive player is more likely to get hurt changing the way he hits a qb than the qb himself. Even schaub took some hits. What I got from it is this offense is gonna be deadly when the season roles around with actual game planning. I just don’t like the babying approach to qb’s. Unless Matt actually has an injury he’s nursing like Julio and Debo I sit him down. If the offense would’ve scored on its first drive I’m sure they would’ve come out. 

Matt Ryan needed to be reminded how to run for his life again. I am excited to see Offense roll over defenses when they get decent line with game planning and Julio, Sanu and Ridley on the field.

TheFatboi, FalconsIn2012 and athell like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, athell said:

Ty, at best, is a swing.  At best.  If we have to rely on him fulltime I think we are in trouble.  Granted...preseason...but not a good look for Ty.  Gono seemed to handle much much better.

This is why we drafted McGary, who will end up being our most important  pick from last year’s draft.

We (you and I ) never bought into the “We’ll be okay with Ty” coach speak.

Ovie_Lover, falcons007 and athell like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Vandy said:

This is why we drafted a McGary.

We (you and I ) never bought into the “We’ll be okay with Ty” coach speak.

Yup!

And nope!  We never bought into that narrative.  Which is funny because Ty became one of FFS70's guys over the offseason after "film review".  L

Vandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

 

Of course I dont want to see Ice get hit so many times especially in the pre season but I thought he got some good work - you cant really simulate what happened last night in practice because the QB is protected. Under all that pressure he looked like he was in mid season form. 

Ergo Proxy and athell like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Vandy said:

This is why we drafted McGary, who will end up being our most important  pick from last year’s draft.

We (you and I ) never bought into the “We’ll be okay with Ty” coach speak.

I was crucified when I said Ty is good back up and McGary will be expected to start. 

athell and Vandy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, falcons007 said:

I was crucified when I said Ty is good back up and McGary will be expected to start. 

Yeah, same.  Never bought the Ty hype.

Vandy and falcons007 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now