FalconsIn2012

Questionable Coaching Decision: Matt Ryan

102 posts in this topic

I’ve mentioned this a few times but thought a thread was warranted.  We know Greg Williams style of coaching.  We knew the house was coming on most pass plays.  So my question is this:

Why did the coaches not pull Ryan after 1 series?  It was clear protection was going to be an issue.  Why subject Ryan to 2 regular season games worth of punishment in just 1.5 quarters of meaningless preseason play?  We protect Julio in the preseason.  Why not Ryan, too?

Just now, athell said:

Do away with the entire preseason imo

Just drop it to 2 games. Most teams don't even care about the 1st or 4th games and have a ton of scrubs guaranteed to be cut in both those games.

FalconsIn2012 and PokerSteve like this

Just now, PriMeTiiMe said:

Just drop it to 2 games. Most teams don't even care about the 1st or 4th games and have a ton of scrubs guaranteed to be cut in both those games.

They really don't care about 2 and 3 tho either.  Joint practices coupled with offseason activities.

PokerSteve and FalconsIn2012 like this

1 minute ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Since that won’t happen, maybe give QB’s red jerseys?

Since that won't happen...

2 minutes ago, athell said:

Since that won't happen...

Red jerseys actually could happen.  Preseason makes money.  The only way it goes away is by adding 2 regular season games 

7 minutes ago, dmo_dlo said:

So nobody wants to address the topic posted? Yes, that was a horrendous decision -- one that can get a HC fired. But if he already knows that this is how it'll be in the season, then he might as well give Ryan some practice in running for his life!!

I was wondering the same thing

46 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Red jerseys actually could happen.  Preseason makes money.  The only way it goes away is by adding 2 regular season games 

What are you smoking?  There is a better chance of the preseason going away entirely than the QBs wearing non contact jerseys in the preseason.  Will literally never happen.

9 minutes ago, dmo_dlo said:

So nobody wants to address the topic posted? Yes, that was a horrendous decision -- one that can get a HC fired. But if he already knows that this is how it'll be in the season, then he might as well give Ryan some practice in running for his life!!

This is what's funny to me.  Fans want players to play...and then when they do...the fans question the coaches.  Not you specifically but pick a path.

falconidae, TheFatboi, nomak and 1 other like this

50 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I think if the Michael Vick injury would happen to a star QB today there would be a lot more action taken. I think an injury to a superstar QB is going to trigger immediate rule changes in the preseason. 

Speaking of which, after last night it's clear the Falcons are just one flubbed Sambrillo block away from a season-ending injury to Ryan. I suggest Ryan not be permitted on the field in any more preseason or regular season games with Tyna Sambrillo at OT. Way too dangerous.

1 minute ago, PokerSteve said:

Speaking of which, after last night it's clear the Falcons are just one flubbed Sambrillo block away from a season-ending injury to Ryan. I suggest Ryan not be permitted on the field in any more preseason or regular season games with Tyna Sambrillo at OT. Way too dangerous.

Agreed I don't think its necessary for Ryan to play in the preseason again

7 minutes ago, athell said:

What are you smoking?  There is a better chance of the preseason going away entirely than the QBs wearing non contact jerseys in the preseason.  Will literally never happen.

Preseason  games bring in money and involve tv deals.  That’s why I said it won’t go away.  Making the QB1 wear a red Jersey wouldn’t really impact the revenue.  That’s why it’s more plausible. QB2/3 get no red jerseys, though

Just now, JD dirtybird21 said:

Agreed I don't think its necessary for Ryan to play in the preseason again

Matt looked great.  Protect him like they are Julio & Debo until Week 1

2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Preseason  games bring in money and involve tv deals.  That’s why I said it won’t go away.  Making the QB1 wear a red Jersey wouldn’t really impact the revenue.  That’s why it’s more plausible. QB2/3 get no red jerseys, though

So you honestly think the qb's wearing a red jersey has a higher chance of happening in real life than doing away with the preseason entirely?  It will never happen.  Ever.  There have been mutterings for years over a reduced preseason or no preseason altogether.

You have an odd interpretation of the word "plausible".

TheFatboi and Dr Long Shot like this

22 minutes ago, dmo_dlo said:

14 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I was wondering the same thing

Come on guys.... you're missing the bigger picture here.

This isn't the first time it's happened.  This is an annual thing.

2015 - Dolphins - It was so bad they pulled Matt in the 2nd quarter and then traded for Levitre 

2016 - Dolphins - Wasn't as bad as 2015 but was far from good

2017 - Cardinals - I don't remember the game being that bad but Schaub was playing in the 2nd quarter.

2018 - Jags - Ryan gets sacked multiple times, again, and Schaub finishes the 1st half, again.

So maybe Quinn should start game planning instead of letting his franchise QB get smacked around.

Oh and according to history the Falcons are going to stink it up and not be able to protect Ryan the next game.

10 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I don’t agree with this because even tho you don’t want your qb to get hurt he’s still a football player. Matt needs to get hit some because he doesn’t get hit at practice. He was still sharp even thru the array of blitzes. Matt is tough as nails and he’s no b*tch. That’s what I love about him. I’d rather get rid of pre season all together than a red jersey. But without pre season how do you work out Kink’s and evaluate players? The only thing you can do is shorten pre and add more games. And players don’t want that. They protect the qb enough as it is. Can’t hit him high can’t hit him low. A defensive player is more likely to get hurt changing the way he hits a qb than the qb himself. Even schaub took some hits. What I got from it is this offense is gonna be deadly when the season roles around with actual game planning. I just don’t like the babying approach to qb’s. Unless Matt actually has an injury he’s nursing like Julio and Debo I sit him down. If the offense would’ve scored on its first drive I’m sure they would’ve come out. 

16 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Come on guys.... you're missing the bigger picture here.

This isn't the first time it's happened.  This is an annual thing.

2015 - Dolphins - It was so bad they pulled Matt in the 2nd quarter and then traded for Levitre 

2016 - Dolphins - Wasn't as bad as 2015 but was far from good

2017 - Cardinals - I don't remember the game being that bad but Schaub was playing in the 2nd quarter.

2018 - Jags - Ryan gets sacked multiple times, again, and Schaub finishes the 1st half, again.

So maybe Quinn should start game planning instead of letting his franchise QB get smacked around.

Oh and according to history the Falcons are going to stink it up and not be able to protect Ryan the next game.

Exactly right. And game planning usually doesn’t happen but the 3rd game. Greg Willians didn’t have a plan. They were just doing what they do. They blitz. They didn’t even see the best of his blitzes. That was a vanilla game for him when it comes to his blitzing. It’s way worse during the season. Only the offense is prepared thru film and game planning. 

Jerz #Quinning likes this

26 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Matt looked great.  Protect him like they are Julio & Debo until Week 1

He’s not nursing an injury. Play. I’d say the exact same thing about them if they weren’t nursing injuries. 

5 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

I don’t agree with this because even tho you don’t want your qb to get hurt he’s still a football player. Matt needs to get hit some because he doesn’t get hit at practice. He was still sharp even thru the array of blitzes. Matt is tough as nails and he’s no b*tch. That’s what I love about him. I’d rather get rid of pre season all together than a red jersey. But without pre season how do you work out Kink’s and evaluate players? The only thing you can do is shorten pre and add more games. And players don’t want that. They protect the qb enough as it is. Can’t hit him high can’t hit him low. A defensive player is more likely to get hurt changing the way he hits a qb than the qb himself. Even schaub took some hits. What I got from it is this offense is gonna be deadly when the season roles around with actual game planning. I just don’t like the babying approach to qb’s. Unless Matt actually has an injury he’s nursing like Julio and Debo I sit him down. If the offense would’ve scored on its first drive I’m sure they would’ve come out. 

Then they shouldn’t allow more than 2 blitzes per game of the OL is really at such s disadvantage during preseason due to lack of game plan.

TheFatboi likes this

1 hour ago, athell said:

Do away with the entire preseason imo

Then we would start the season in an 0-5 hole every season because we play like garbage until week 2 usually.