Jump to content

Some of this is on coaching


Recommended Posts

Specifically OC. Sure the OL played poorly. They looked awful. But when you're backing up in pass protection on 70% of the plays, many of which are 5 wide gun with NO run option, it's hard to get momentum and gel as a young OL.

This is what I feared most with Koetter. His typical 2/1 pass run ratio. Quinn needs to intervene ASAP.  43 passes, 29 runs. And it was even MORE skewed in the first half. That's a good recipe to get your franchise QB a trip to the whirlpool.

Edited by since68andcounting
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, since68andcounting said:

Specifically OC. Sure the OL played poorly. They looked awful. But when you're backing up in pass protection on 70% of the plays, many of which are 5 wide gun with NO run option, it's hard to get momentum and gel as a young OL.

This is what I feared most with Koetter. His typical 2/1 pass run ratio. Quinn needs to intervene ASAP. 37 passes, 22 runs. And it was even MORE skewed in the first half. That's a good recipe to get your franchise QB a trip to the whirlpool.

You don't think they need the reps? Maybe that's why they are passing more? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We need the reps rushing more. That's how you establish attitude with a young OL. Not to mention if you don't even show the POSSIBILITY of a run, the defense just pins its ears back and comes after your QB.

Counting the scramble as a pass, which it was, and ignoring Matt's fumble, we had 9 rushes and 19 throws with Ryan in the game. It's not 2/1, it's worse.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You guys do realize Gregg Williams was dialing up a bunch of blitzes and pressure packages....in a preaseason game. Most of the time we only see this with a new coaching scheme and I honestly thought it was good to see some of the oline starters get humbled against a a defense that had most of the starters beside Leonard. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Crazy Trav said:

You guys do realize Gregg Williams was dialing up a bunch of blitzes and pressure packages....in a preaseason game. Most of the time we only see this with a new coaching scheme and I honestly thought it was good to see some of the oline starters get humbled against a a defense that had most of the starters beside Leonard. 

This is what I'm saying. The O-Line played like crap, but the Jets blitzed almost every down Ryan was in the game. Now I would have liked to see an adjustment to protect our QB, but I"m not ready to jump off a cliff yet. They have a lot of work to do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pre....... season

 

Yall do this every year.... normally its against the Dolphins.

Greg Williams blitzed us up  in a preseason game ...I'm saying he was doing 6 man blitzes, delayed blitzes in preseason 2... lol... where you knowwwwwwww teams are not game planning for that...

I'm happy about it tho.. It gave them some looks they can go over in the film room of some blitzes they will see during the season...

 

So yeah I'm not over reacting during the preseason... Good or bad...

 

I do think we need to stop the shuffling the line thing... let the first team line play te whole first half and the second team line play the whole second half.

Also... get well McGary... can't wait to get u out there... hopefully we get some good news this weekend

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, since68andcounting said:

We need the reps rushing more. That's how you establish attitude with a young OL. Not to mention if you don't even show the POSSIBILITY of a run, the defense just pins its ears back and comes after your QB.

Counting the scramble as a pass, which it was, and ignoring Matt's fumble, we had 9 rushes and 19 throws with Ryan in the game. It's not 2/1, it's worse.

 

You do that for a young QB. Not a vet like Matt. The run takes care of itself. There’s timing in throwing. Also did it occur to any of you that no audibles were called? There’s no game planning. Lol. All the qb’s could’ve easily called audibles or protection slides. Never did that happen because?!! There was no game planning. Willians is a blitzing DC so that’s what he’s gonna do. And even that was vanilla for him. That wasn’t the meat of his blitzes. We are NOT a blitzing team. Quinn wants to get pressure with the front and cover on the back and that’s what he worked on. Even with Mack you didn’t see him  make any line calls. The line was supposed to look bad. They needed to see that so they can look at film. Next game will have a little game planning. If the line looks bad then worry. But a line doesn’t gel from running the ball. You run to help a young qb. Gelling comes from pass protection. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, atljbo said:

Pre....... season

 

Yall do this every year.... normally its against the Dolphins.

Greg Williams blitzed us up  in a preseason game ...I'm saying he was doing 6 man blitzes, delayed blitzes in preseason 2... lol... where you knowwwwwwww teams are not game planning for that...

I'm happy about it tho.. It gave them some looks they can go over in the film room of some blitzes they will see during the season...

 

So yeah I'm not over reacting during the preseason... Good or bad...

 

I do think we need to stop the shuffling the line thing... let the first team line play te whole first half and the second team line play the whole second half.

Also... get well McGary... can't wait to get u out there... hopefully we get some good news this weekend

Sheesh I wish I would’ve seen this post before I poured my heart into mine lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, dodge_birds_fan said:

This is what I'm saying. The O-Line played like crap, but the Jets blitzed almost every down Ryan was in the game. Now I would have liked to see an adjustment to protect our QB, but I"m not ready to jump off a cliff yet. They have a lot of work to do. 

There’s no adjustment to be made because there was no game plan. It seems nobody has once said they noticed none of the qb’s called any audibles or protection slides. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, atljbo said:

Pre....... season

 

Yall do this every year.... normally its against the Dolphins.

Greg Williams blitzed us up  in a preseason game ...I'm saying he was doing 6 man blitzes, delayed blitzes in preseason 2... lol... where you knowwwwwwww teams are not game planning for that...

I'm happy about it tho.. It gave them some looks they can go over in the film room of some blitzes they will see during the season...

 

So yeah I'm not over reacting during the preseason... Good or bad...

 

I do think we need to stop the shuffling the line thing... let the first team line play te whole first half and the second team line play the whole second half.

Also... get well McGary... can't wait to get u out there... hopefully we get some good news this weekend

This is why I've started to hate preseason more and more by the year.  Every year, same gloom and doom.  I just pray for no injuries.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

There’s no adjustment to be made because there was no game plan. It seems nobody has once said they noticed none of the qb’s called any audibles or protection slides. 

In the regular season, if Ryan sees a blitz against a 5 wide set, he can audible to change the protections, or to bring Free back into the backfield, give him the ball-break off a couple of 20 yard runs through the holes where the blitzers came from, they'll change what they're doing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like others have said there was no game plan or preparation. OC will call plays based on reps he wants the players to get. It’s a glorified practice. Gregg Williams is a scum bag who came out with blitz packages and hard hitting crap. There is an unwritten understanding for most coaches to keep it simple and not risk injuries.  

The Offense looked good with no prep and Ryan was near perfect if not for 2 drops in end zone. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not on coaching. Coaches showed how to counter the blitz when Schaub came in and went up-tempo. It's the players on the offensive line muffing up plays. Offensive line STILL struggling to open up running lanes.  I'm glad Williams blitzed and put the pressure on them. Showed they didn't know what to do and Sambrailo and Schweitzer are in over their heads.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

There’s no adjustment to be made because there was no game plan. It seems nobody has once said they noticed none of the qb’s called any audibles or protection slides. 

I didn’t see Ryan, Mack and Wes call any audibles to adjust the protection. With no adjustment the offense marched down the field with no Julio, Ridley or Sanu. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Da_Truth said:

It's not on coaching. Coaches showed how to counter the blitz when Schaub came in and went up-tempo. It's the players on the offensive line muffing up plays. Offensive line STILL struggling to open up running lanes.  I'm glad Williams blitzed and put the pressure on them. Showed they didn't know what to do and Sambrailo is in over his head.  

It’s called no game planning and prep. I hope falcons don’t play a team with the bounty Scum Williams as DC in preseason .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, falcons007 said:

It’s called no game planning and prep. I hope falcons don’t play a team with the bounty Scum Williams as DC in preseason .

Exactly. You could tell the Falcons were running a vanilla offense. BUT...the offensive linemen should still be strong fundamentally and they lacked physicality and awareness.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Like others have said there was no game plan or preparation. OC will call plays based on reps he wants the players to get. It’s a glorified practice. Gregg Williams is a scum bag who came out with blitz packages and hard hitting crap. There is an unwritten understanding for most coaches to keep it simple and not risk injuries.  

The Offense looked good with no prep and Ryan was near perfect if not for 2 drops in end zone. 

 

Also the only reason (I think) that the Broncos and Dolphins blitzed so much is because both teams had first year HC's that wanted their first NFL win.

Greg Williams is just an ***hat and the Jets will still be the Pats b**** when the regular season starts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

Also the only reason (I think) that the Broncos and Dolphins blitzed so much is because both teams had first year HC's that wanted their first NFL win.

Greg Williams is just an ***hat and the Jets will still be the Pats b**** when the regular season starts.

Broncos and Dolphins mixed it up but Gregg Williams just went out for blood. I thought OL played well against the Dolphins. 

I feel comfortable with OL and hope McGary can get healthy and start soon. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Da_Truth said:

Exactly. You could tell the Falcons were running a vanilla offense. BUT...the offensive linemen should still be strong fundamentally and they lacked physicality and awareness.

Most of last night had nothing to do with fundamentals or physicality. It’s communication and adjusting the protection schemes . In a regular season game you would have Matt or Mack audible the protection to pick up blitzes and stunts. I didn’t see any adjustment from center or QB. Only thing I would worry is Ty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...