E. T.

Dodgers @ Braves

814 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

Really tough pitching matchups. Miss Kershaw, but get the MLB leader in ERA. ugh. 

Braves caught a break missing deGrom and Syndergaard and took advantage of it. Need to take advantage of missing Kershaw and Buehler and win this series.

sdogg likes this

4 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

It's also alumni weekend

Fox Sports Southeast will broadcast the alumni HR derby of team Frenchy vs Team Brian Jordan. It will air tomorrow night prior to the normal pregame.

Great, don't believe they've ever done that before, at least I've not noticed it. Team Jordan is him, Klesko, and I forget the 3rd guy, but it's another big time power hitter. They're gonna crush Frenchy's team.

1 minute ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Great, don't believe they've ever done that before, at least I've not noticed it. Team Jordan is him, Klesko, and I forget the 3rd guy, but it's another big time power hitter. They're gonna crush Frenchy's team.

Andruw I think

Falconsfan567 likes this

Hechavarria is terrible and won't help the team any. This sends a message to Camargo more than anything else.

9 minutes ago, jidady said:

Hechavarria is terrible and won't help the team any. This sends a message to Camargo more than anything else.

His defense is solid......and solid would have saved the braves pitchers about 5 runs over the last couple of games

13 minutes ago, jidady said:

At least Hechavarria can catch the ball. That's all the Braves need at SS right now until Dansby comes back.

RING OF HONOR likes this

6 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

His defense is solid......and solid would have saved the braves pitchers about 5 runs over the last couple of games

He's literally had negative WAR the past two years. He should be out of baseball. 

As I said, we're (rightfully) punishing Johan by sending him a message that we'd rather have a scrub off the streets at SS right now. It's like your significant other dumping you for a drunken hobo.

5 minutes ago, jidady said:

He's literally had negative WAR the past two years. He should be out of baseball. 

As I said, we're (rightfully) punishing Johan by sending him a message that we'd rather have a scrub off the streets at SS right now. It's like your significant other dumping you for a drunken hobo.

I get what you're saying, but that negative WAR is based all on offense. He has never posted a negative WAR defensively and there's no reason to think he should now. I don't care if he strikes out every time up, just catch the ******* ball.

RING OF HONOR and falconsd56 like this

13 minutes ago, jidady said:

Hechavarria is fantastic defensively. Thats why hes here. The pitching could use the help. Camargo isn't hitting or catching the ball.

6 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Hechavarria is fantastic defensively. Thats why hes here. The pitching could use the help. Camargo isn't hitting or catching the ball.

He's a warm body with a glove, not someone fantastic defensively. He once was, but those days are gone. FanGraphs has Camargo at -0.7 and Adeiny at 0.7 on the year. And Johan was actually better last year.

My point here is that we're not making the team any better with this move. We're trying to send a message to a player who has developed an attitude. It's the right play, but SS is grim for us if Dansby can't get better.  We may wind up having to play someone out of position.

6 minutes ago, jidady said:

He's a warm body with a glove, not someone fantastic defensively. He once was, but those days are gone. FanGraphs has Camargo at -0.7 and Adeiny at 0.7 on the year. And Johan was actually better last year.

My point here is that we're not making the team any better with this move. We're trying to send a message to a player who has developed an attitude. It's the right play, but SS is grim for us if Dansby can't get better.  We may wind up having to play someone out of position.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you about that second part of your statement. We just disagree with you on the first part. This move only happened to send Camargo a message to get his act together. I think we all agree on that.

But I think defensively, even if Hechavarria isn't what he used to be, he's still better than Camargo defensively. Camargo has never been a good defender. He's got a strong arm but that's about it when it comes to his defense, even when he was starting at 3B last year. His range has always been limited and it's just magnified at SS because of how few balls he gets to that Dansby makes plays on and turns into outs. Same with Culberson and him having to play SS against the Dodgers last October and how many outs he cost the Braves defensively.

6 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

I'd take a 53 year old Jeff Blauser at SS over Camargo right now.

LOL!!!! I cracked up so bad at this. Oh man, that's saying a lot considering Blauser wasn't great defensively. There's a reason we had Rafael Belliard spell Blauser in critical moments of games.

Speaking of which, my mom used to call him needle nose!!

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, jidady said:

I think it does both. It sends a message, but it also improves our defense. We could have won lastnight if it wasn't for Camargo's defense.

Edited by LouDog