2016 Preseason Game #3, this board was in full meltdown, wanted Ryan benched fo Schaub

gazoo

Our 3rd preseason game in 2016 against Miami our offense looked awful. Ryan went 3 and out two times in a row, mass panic overtook the fan base, many demanded we bench Ryan for Schaub and wanted Shanny fired immediately. Fans were setting themselves on fire at Flowery Branch in protest, it was ugly.

What happened next?

Our offense scored 7th most points in NFL history, Ryan made MVP, and we had the Patriots beat in Super Bowl.

Relax folks.....everything is going to be just fine.

Once Sambrilio left the game and Gono came in the line played better. The defense looked great. 

They scored 13 unanswered on turnovers by a QB who was signed because our top two QBs don't need to play that much. 

The penalties are ridiculous but come out once the third and fourth string are in.

This team is much better than this. Don't put too much stock in preseason.

5 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Once Sambrilio left the game and Gono came in the line played better. The defense looked great. 

They scored 13 unanswered on turnovers by a QB who was signed because our top two QBs don't need to play that much. 

The penalties are ridiculous but come out once the third and fourth string are in.

That’s pretty much my take.  Defense was fine.

our OL looked like it did in 3rd preseason game in 2016.  

It also looked like the OL was a little rusty as far as dealing with a lot of movement on the DL, even Mathews, who is an excellent LT, struggled in pass protection. But most of the pressures came from players that are backups, not intended to be at those spots all season. Wes gave up pressure at center, Ty at RT was the biggest concern, (but Mathews also looked bad and we know that won’t last) 

it’ll all get cleaned up. We have a lot of talent at OL but we do need to get our boy McGary back ASAP.

post hoc ergo propter hoc

To believe playing poorly in a  previous season to only go on to success will follow a similar pattern is a mistake. Every season is different, no use in using another year as an example of what’s to come based on the results of that year.

Edited by ant.accurate

12 hours ago, gazoo said:

Our 3rd preseason game in 2016 against Miami our offense looked awful. Ryan went 3 and out two times in a row, mass panic overtook the fan base, many demanded we bench Ryan for Schaub and wanted Shanny fired immediately. Fans were setting themselves on fire at Flowery Branch in protest, it was ugly.

What happened next?

Our offense scored 7th most points in NFL history, Ryan made MVP, and we had the Patriots beat in Super Bowl.

Yes.....We remember those ‘Schaub > Ryan’ threads all too well....silly as those ‘Trade Julio for missing OTAs’ threads of last year..... 

Often these crazy threads are started by the same usual suspects...

Preseason and regular season are vastly different with starters actually playing, game preparation, running a full playbook, etc. The list goes on. Gregg Williams throwing the kitchen sink at the starting O-line is unusual to say the least. Glad they got the experience.

Having said that, I’m more than a little concerned with Sambrailo, who inarguably stunk, and Brown got absolutely trucked by Quinnen Williams (who looks like a beast). Scheme is one thing in preseason and easily dismissed. Getting manhandled is worrying. Count me in on the start Matt Gono bandwagon. Falcons cannot have Ryan getting exposed like that by overmatched lineman. Enough is enough. 

7 hours ago, falcons007 said:

To be fair, in 2016 the team woke up in week 2 of the season after losing to the Bucs. There were some good things, some bad and some ugly. It’s not doom and gloom but there are genuine concerns on this team.

They were actually 4-3 after losing to the Chargers at home. 6-4 at the bye. Then the home games hit at the back end of the season and they went full on rampage mode. You can tread water for a bit and still have a really great season. The schedule this season is set up in a similar fashion.

Jake Matthews and Ty Sambraillo had bad games. Jake getting beat like that was troubling. I expected Ty to struggle. Lindstrom didn't look good either. 

There's no way to sugar coat it guys, the O-Line took a beating. Nothing wrong with admitting that. It's not the end of the world. 

The real problem is acting like it's not a problem. It doesn't matter what the reason, be it unexpected blitzes or backups playing, there's no excuse got 17 pressures on our starting QB on 18 drop backs. The O-Line MUST play better.

Outside of that, the defense looked good after a shaky opening drive and without it's best player.

Hated the penalties at bad times. All in all I'd give this game a C-

7 hours ago, Jesus said:

Bingo. Not to mention the 2 missed FGs.

17 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Jake Matthews and Ty Sambraillo had bad games. Jake getting beat like that was troubling. I expected Ty to struggle. Lindstrom didn't look good either. 

There's no way to sugar coat it guys, the O-Line took a beating. Nothing wrong with admitting that. It's not the end of the world. 

The real problem is acting like it's not a problem. It doesn't matter what the reason, be it unexpected blitzes or backups playing, there's no excuse got 17 pressures on our starting QB on 18 drop backs. The O-Line MUST play better.

Outside of that, the defense looked good after a shaky opening drive and without it's best player.

Hated the penalties at bad times. All in all I'd give this game a C-

Like anything in sports, an influx of new players is going to take a little time to come together.

5 hours ago, Vandy said:

Yes.....We remember those ‘Schaub > Ryan’ threads all too well....silly as those ‘Trade Julio for missing OTAs’ threads of last year..... 

Often these crazy threads are started by the same usual suspects...

There were a lot of people suggesting Ryan was in decline, that perhaps we should trade him while he still had value because Schuab was playing well in preseason.  The overreation to was epic.

I am not sure if many realize, we made a ton of changes in offseason and preseason is designed to help you iron out the kinks.

As epic bird said, I don't think our offensive coaches anticipated Gregg Williams going all out so our OL may have just been caught off guard as they were focusing on blocking schemes, timing on running plays and so forth. Our coaches won't get caught off guard in regular season. 

So here's my take. Our OL played horrible, just as it did against Miami in 2016 preseason.  I have no concern whatsoever the Jake Matthews I saw last night will show up in regular season. He's a pro, he'll be ready. I'm not concerned about Lindstrom, especially when he's lined up nest to Alex Mack to help him read the defense, as opposed to lining up next to Schweitzer.  

Now, RT I would say is absolutely a concern, but I'd rather know now if Ty can't cut it then beginning of season because we have other options until McGary gets back.

So, does anyone still question the wisdom of us picking up a RT at end of 1st round? 

13 hours ago, gazoo said:

What happened next?

Here's an interesting piece of trivia I just discovered and may make a thread about it.

The ONLY 3rd pre-season game where Ryan actually played into the 3rd quarter was 2016.