3rd and 1

MarkMc44

Interesting article in the local "rag" today by Sierra Webster. I knew that our short yardage offense wasn't stout the last 3 seasons, but I didn't realize that the Falcons couldn't convert on 3rd and 1 seven times in Super Bowl LI. Forgive me for saying that things might have been different if we had converted just 1 of those! Hopefully, it's now fixed.

GO FALCONS!!!!

Just reading the thread title made me throw up in my mouth.

The things that plague this franchise:

1.  Pass rush

2.  Short yardage

Seems like it's been an issue since forever...Snelling was good...Duckett was a beast...nothing since.  Would rather sneak Matt than hand the dang ball off at this point.

30 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Mack was playing the super bowl with a broken leg.

Our entire O line was beaten up pretty well there at the end. I often wonder, if Shanahan had called plays from the sideline, he would have seen it in their eyes and called that final 4th quarter sequence differently. He had plenty of success from the box though!

1 hour ago, athell said:

1.  Pass rush

2.  Short yardage

Seems like it's been an issue since forever...Snelling was good...Duckett was a beast...nothing since.  Would rather sneak Matt than hand the dang ball off at this point.

What you're saying is the lines haven't been stout enough.

This year, looks like they really worked to fix that. Falcons are way bigger and stronger on the OLine, and on the defense, they got  really good looking rotation , with 6 players who have had 6+ sacks in a season and a couple of solid run stuffers.

One of the reasons I'm excited by this season., Ryan may have time to call and check on the twins while in the pocket, DLine may actually be able to stuff the run and get after the passer. 

Oline will need to gel quick  and one of the wild cards on the DLine- Senat, Cominsky, Hageman- needs to have a breakout year

5 minutes ago, falconidae said:

What you're saying is the lines haven't been stout enough.

This year, looks like they really worked to fix that. Falcons are way bigger and stronger on the OLine, and on the defense, they got  really good looking rotation , with 6 players who have had 6+ sacks in a season and a couple of solid run stuffers.

One of the reasons I'm excited by this season., Ryan may have time to call and check on the twins while in the pocket, DLine may actually be able to stuff the run and get after the passer. 

Oline will need to gel quick  and one of the wild cards on the DLine- Senat, Cominsky, Hageman- needs to have a breakout year

How many seasons have we been griping about the pass rush and the OL? Now, somehow, at long last, that's been remedied. I have no idea how significant an impact the upgrades will be on both sides of the LOS, but I have a good feeling we're going to see a whole different level of football now.

17 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

How many seasons have we been griping about the pass rush and the OL? Now, somehow, at long last, that's been remedied. I have no idea how significant an impact the upgrades will be on both sides of the LOS, but I have a good feeling we're going to see a whole different level of football now.

You can see the different mindset even with the vanilla defense- attacking, contesting every yard.

IF there was a comeback team of the year award, I have the Falcons at 200-1 favorites.

2 hours ago, athell said:

1.  Pass rush

2.  Short yardage

Less athletic qbs do pretty decent, never got why Matt doesn't do it more.

3 minutes ago, Dirtybird3 said:

Less athletic qbs do pretty decent, never got why Matt doesn't do it more.

Because Smith told him not to.  Remember when Matt was rushing into the end zone, got hit and helicoptered into the end zone for a TD? When he got to the sidelines, Smith told him, "Great play, don't ever do that again" And he never did. Loved to see him get 3 rushing scores and a passing TD last year. He doesn't need to try to be Cam Newton, but he should pick and chose his spots.

1 hour ago, falconidae said:

Because Smith told him not to.  Remember when Matt was rushing into the end zone, got hit and helicoptered into the end zone for a TD? When he got to the sidelines, Smith told him, "Great play, don't ever do that again" And he never did. Loved to see him get 3 rushing scores and a passing TD last year. He doesn't need to try to be Cam Newton, but he should pick and chose his spots.

I can understand dives like that, but getting in a gap and pushing in from a yard out is not 'putting yourself at risk' not compared to a cam Newton atleast 

2 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

Or a whole different level of fan meltdown if nothing improves.