Odds Quinn 1st Coach Fired In 2019

Since1990

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I don’t include 2018.  Just using the 1st three years and Week 1 of 2018, you can see the progress and potential.  Don’t you think?

Do think that he needs to prove 2018 was injuries. While I think Blank remains patient, there is the possibility that Blank is getting worried about being alive when it happens and makes a change after the year.

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

I respect you as a poster, but that’s just plain silly. TD is best GM in team history, I agree with you there, but you seriously underrate what smith brought to this team. 

I can make a strong argument smith/Mularkey were the perfect 1st coaches for Matt Ryan. History is filled with coaches who destroyed young QBs by putting too much on them too soon. (See Josh Rosen just last year in zona, Jared Goff the year before in LA under J Fisher).

FYI Ryan/Julio reached their primes under Quinn, not Smith. Gonzo was good but past his prime when he arrived in ATL. 

Should we have won a SB under smith? Yes, he choked away a lead and home field against 49ers. But biggest choke in team history belongs to dan Quinn. 

Man I mean no disrespect to you as you are a favorite of mine. For me those pathetic displays against the Giants, Packers and Niners really got me loathing Smith. 

LOL!!! Dan Quinn will not be fired during the season!! You can absolutely ******* guarantee it!! Wanna know how many coaches Arthur Blank has fired during the season? ZERO!!! There's a reason for that, he knows firing a coach during the season does not work in football. It doesn't fix anything. It just means waving the white flag on the season.

8 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

LOL!!! Dan Quinn will not be fired during the season!! You can absolutely ******* guarantee it!! Wanna know how many coaches Arthur Blank has fired during the season? ZERO!!! There's a reason for that, he knows firing a coach during the season does not work in football. It doesn't fix anything. It just means waving the white flag on the season.

It's kind of like the dreaded "players only meeting". That means your team is dead in the water.

13 hours ago, Godzilla1985 said:

Man I mean no disrespect to you as you are a favorite of mine. For me those pathetic displays against the Giants, Packers and Niners really got me loathing Smith. 

This. It always felt like Smitty just didn’t have his team ready for playoff games. He got out coached and basically exploited in them. Even in his win, it still took at a miracle from Ice and Bryant to bail him out

17 hours ago, falcons007 said:

That’s BS. The team went to NO week before and knocked Aints out till some on leaked that even if Falcons made playoffs Smitty was fired. Funny narratives. 

That Saints team was 6-8.  The whole division was garbage.  Carolina won division with a LOSING record.  

34-3 at HOME with a CHAMPIONSHIP on line against a 6-8-1 panthers team.  

Yes the team quit on him. 34-3.... not 27-24.... 34-3. 

2 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

This. It always felt like Smitty just didn’t have his team ready for playoff games. He got out coached and basically exploited in them. Even in his win, it still took at a miracle from Ice and Bryant to bail him out

I always thought Smitty's problem was loyalty to his coordinators.

I like Mularkey but he would get predictable and run the same plays towards the end of games.

BVG... that clown should have never been hired in the first place and should have been canned immediately following the Green Bay Massacre but no.... Smitty decided to stick with him another year like Quinn and Sark.

The 'I don't want you to see any other coaches in the off-season' dline coach?  Yeah, just look at the development of ..... as a pass rusher.  Oh that's right there wasn't any development on the dline as far as pass rushers.  If Abraham wasn't already on the roster when Smitty got here....

3 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Hiding a weak defense behind a ball control offense and relying on Ryan to win the game late worked well enough in the regular season, but when they got to the playoffs, better coaches and better teams took that defense apart. GB never had to punt  during that playoff  game, for example.

I loved what Smitty did for this team and  supported him long after many had given up on him, but he just got outcoached pretty much every single playoff game.

1 minute ago, falconidae said:

Hiding a weak defense behind a ball control offense and relying on Ryan to win the game late worked well enough in the regular season, but when they got to the playoffs, better coaches and better teams took that defense apart. GB never had to punt  during that playoff  game, for example.

I loved what Smitty did for this team and  supported him long after many had given up on him, but he just got outcoached pretty much every single playoff game.

I agree 100%. It always felt like our team didn't have "guts". Smitty always seemed like the "very safe" coach. The talent from 08-12 won a lot of games. 

4 hours ago, falconidae said:

That "game plan" against the Giants in that 2011 playoff game was the worst offensive show I've ever witnessed in a playoff game by any team. The defense for the first half of that game played their hearts out knowing that the offense didn't stand a chance in heIl of winning the game because the scared game plan. It was a dramatic overreaction to getting blown out by the Packers the year before and it was such a gutless move and honestly, I think Smitty should have been fired after that game. To go into a playoff game and play that scared on the offensive side of the ball was so embarrassing and showed that Smitty didn't have what was needed to win the big one.

• 1 month later...
On 8/15/2019 at 8:04 PM, Godzilla1985 said:

On 8/16/2019 at 9:21 AM, JD dirtybird21 said:

< cough cough> At least Smitty teams usually were in run to make the playoffs <cough cough>

11 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

The fact AB left in the 3rd qtr tells me all I need to know. 

Yep, Blank loves the Falcons but at heart, he is a businessman he really wanted to see them excel in his 1.6 billion marvel of a stadium. Another lousy season seriously cuts into profits for all those high rent restaurants and bars at MBS along with merchandising, suites and PSL prices have to be plummeting so it isn't just football.