Odds Quinn 1st Coach Fired In 2019

Since1990

4 minutes ago, Godzilla1985 said:

Dude that defense shutdown Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady for 3 quarters.  Held that high flying Rams offense to 13 the year after. 

He did do better DURING the playoffs.  I admit that.  I had to go back over those playoff games and yes, the defense dominated also in 3 playoff games.  As a whole though his defense hasn't been better.  I believe he will get it done this season.  I like the changes he has made...

4 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

2015 saw large improvement (5 ppg) and 2017 we were 8th in total defense.  Yes we struggled first 12 weeks of 2016 but it was planned.  We knew all those rookies would struggle.   But by week 13 we were a B+ defensive unit

You can quote stats all you like, but with only short bursts of competence, out defense under Quinn has struggled mightily to hold leads the offense provides.

Just now, Godzilla1985 said:

I REALLY don’t get this love for Mike Smith and shortchanging Quinn.

I don't think its short changing Quinn, at least with me, I'm just pointing out that as a WHOLE, Smith's defenses have been better and that Quinn has relied on the offense, just like Smith did.  What has hurt Quinn is Falcons fans expected Seattle 2.0 at least by now and it hasn't happened. Heck, they haven't gotten Seattle 1.5 much less 2.0  :lol:

20 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I don’t include 2018.  Just using the 1st three years and Week 1 of 2018, you can see the progress and potential.  Don’t you think?

Everything counts, including 2018. Team had just as devastating injuries to key players (Spoon/Moore et al)  in 2013-14.

Both in 2013-14 and in 2018 the injuries exposed bad coaching. And there was bad coaching last year my friend, and it starts with the head coach. 

Do I see the potential in this year’s D? Of course, and I’m excited about that. Which is why I’m saying it better all come to fruition in year 5 of Quinn. And I think it will. 

1 minute ago, Godzilla1985 said:

Before Mike Smith, we never had back to back winning seasons. Not once. Not ever.

Before Mike Smith our only consistency was being consistently laughed at.

Before Mike Smith, we languished through the idiotic firing of Leeman Bennet, not one, but TWO stints under Marion Campbell, the clownshow of Jerry Glanville (entertaining in a train wreck sorta way), and Vick/Petrino. So yes: many old-timers will remain thankful to Reeves and Smith for providing some of our best memories.

31 minutes ago, Godzilla1985 said:

Actually, I don’t get the mostly opposite narrative in here.

Smith was hired after perhaps this franchise’s darkest season in history, and played a huge part in completely turning things around in team culture, belief in themselves, much needed disciple, etc all resulting in unparalleled success. Yet after 5 best years in team history, he’s continually mocked in here as a bad coach after years of bad drafting by GM/ falcon scouting combined with injuries in 2013-14 which devastated those team’s seasons.

Dan Quinn had some work to do when he was hired, but also inherited two future HOF players in their primes in Matt Ryan and Julio Jones to build around. The cubbard was hardly bare. Yet when injuries happened last season, he gets a pass even with some of the worst coaching personnel decisions ( trotting D Riley/J Richards out there game after game) I’ve ever seen from a falcon HC. (Which as a 50+ year fan of this team, is saying a lot).

Smith is mocked for Mike Nolan/B VanGorder DC hires which did not end well, while Quinn gets a pass for Richard Smith/M Manuel similar fiascos.

I could go on and on...

9 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Reeves was not a good coach. He had one year where everything fell his way and another where the league was not ready for Vick. Other than that his teams were bad.

He was a consistent Super Bowl contender in Denver.

He put the Giants on the road to respectability again.

He took a team that had never had back-to-back winning seasons to the Super Bowl.

He took us to the Super Bowl with Chris Chandler--- NOT Michael dog-murderer Vick.

Dan Reeves is in the top-10 winningest coaches all time.

Try learning something before crapping your bed again.

Edited by Roanoke Falcon

1 hour ago, Yo_Lover said:

Who are you thinking? Honestly I doubt they get 4. 

Thomas could

Sherman

Kam didn't have the stats and no matter what you say that matters to voters but he might slip in one day.

Wagner

That's 3 I could see.

Thomas, Sherman, Wagner, Kam, Bennett 

One thing Ive seen with the HOF voters is ‘were they the best at their position?’

Clearly you can say that for Thomas, Sherman, and Wagner.  Possibly Kam.

Bennet could sneak in.  I was thinking Avril had a long shot but it’s a very long shot.

8 hours ago, notthatcool said:

Smitty lost that team.  His last game he had a home game to win to go to playoffs.  Team looked like they had quit and got blown out 34-3.  Not to mention the London game and other missteps that year.  

That’s BS. The team went to NO week before and knocked Aints out till some on leaked that even if Falcons made playoffs Smitty was fired. Funny narratives. 

26 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Actually, I don’t get the mostly opposite narrative in here.

Smith was hired after perhaps this franchise’s darkest season in history, and was a huge part in completely turning things around in team culture, belief in themselves, much needed disciple, etc all resulting in unparalleled success. Yet after 5 best years in team history, he’s continually mocked in here as a bad coach after years of bad drafting by GM/ falcon scouting combined with injuries in 2013-14 which devastated those team’s seasons.

Dan Quinn had some work to do when he was hired, but also inherited two future HOF players in their primes in Matt Ryan and Julio Jones. Yet when injuries happened last season, he gets a pass even with some of the worst coaching personnel decisions ( trotting D Riley/J Richards out there game after game) I’ve ever seen from a falcon HC. (Which as a 50+ year fan of this team, is saying a lot).

Smith is mocked for Mike Nolan/B VanGorder DC hires which did not end well, while Quinn gets a pass for Richard Smith/M Manuel similar fiascos.

I could go on and on...

I attribute that more to Thomas Dimitroff more than Smith. Guy had those two aforementioned future HOFers, the greatest TE of all time and one of the greatest Falcons receivers ever and got boat raced by the Giants and the Packers (a 6th seed team BTW) when real football counts.

I could go on and on as well. 

Edited by Godzilla1985

1 minute ago, Godzilla1985 said:

I attribute that more to Thomas Dimitroff more than Smith. Guy had those two aforementioned future HOFers, the greatest TE of all time and one of the greatest Falcons receivers ever and got boat raced by the Giants and the Packers (a 6th seed team BTW).  

Just no. Smitty’s Players over achieved.. With that talent, the team won by mistake free football.  The players who left Atlanta in Smitty era couldn’t even catch cold with other teams. I personally think MS biggest failure was not helping TD find better players. I still remember TD gloating over Lamar Holmes while MS was sulking in press conference. I like that DQ is more involved now.

10 minutes ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

He was a consistent Super Bowl contender in Denver.

He put the Giants on the road to respectability again.

He took a team that had never had back-to-back winning seasons to the Super Bowl.

He took us to the Super Bowl with Chris Chandler--- NOT Michael dog-murderer Vick.

Dan Reeves is in the top-10 winningest coaches all time.

Try learning something before crapping your bed again.

Getting crushed in the super bowl....that's Dan Reeves bag. It's amazing how unprepared his Broncos and Falcons teams were for the big game. Outscored 170-57. Yikes that takes some special coaching there.

With the Giants he was 31-33. Three years prior to his hiring they won a super bowl. Four years after he left they are were back in the Super bowl. Not sure what respectabilty brought them. They could have hired anyone. Jim Fassel for instance. He actually took them to the big game.

Yes he took the Falcons to the super bowl, yet he couldn't get those back to back winking seasons? Why? Ask Ken Oxendine.

Never said Vick played in the super bowl. Got there with a career back up that is impressive.

Top 10 winning coach. Cool. He coached along time. Kind of telling that no one would hire him after his Atlanta tenure.

Personally I don't care what he did in New York or Denver. Only what he did in Atlanta. Sub .500 winning percentage with a spotty draft record. Cool.

As for crapping the bed...well no I usually use your mom's bathroom. She likes the way it smells.

18 minutes ago, Godzilla1985 said:

I attribute that more to Thomas Dimitroff more than Smith. Guy had those two aforementioned future HOFers, the greatest TE of all time and one of the greatest Falcons receivers ever and got boat raced by the Giants and the Packers (a 6th seed team BTW).  

I respect you as a poster, but that’s just plain silly. TD is best GM in team history, I agree with you there, but you seriously underrate what smith brought to this team. 

I can make a strong argument smith/Mularkey were the perfect 1st coaches for Matt Ryan. History is filled with coaches who destroyed young QBs by putting too much on them too soon. (See Josh Rosen just last year in zona, Jared Goff the year before in LA under J Fisher).

FYI Ryan/Julio reached their primes under Quinn, not Smith. Gonzo was good but past his prime when he arrived in ATL. 

Should we have won a SB under smith? Yes, he choked away a lead and home field against 49ers. But biggest choke in team history belongs to dan Quinn. 

27 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

One thing Ive seen with the HOF voters is ‘were they the best at their position?’

Bennet could sneak in.  I was thinking Avril had a long shot but it’s a very long shot.

Sherman, Wagner get in more than likely

Earl should

Kam is a longshot

Bennet isn't close

Avril? Lol...

31 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Not to butt in but I can see Sherm and Wags for sho.....thats it...

Thomas would have to finish his career strong IMO...

9 minutes ago, Jesus said:

1) Getting crushed in the super bowl....that's Dan Reeves bag. It's amazing how unprepared his Broncos and Falcons teams were for the big game. Outscored 170-57. Yikes that takes some special coaching there.

2) With the Giants he was 31-33. Three years prior to his hiring they won a super bowl. Four years after he left they are were back in the Super bowl. Not sure what respectabilty brought them. They could have hired anyone. Jim Fassel for instance. He actually took them to the big game.

4) Yes he took the Falcons to the super bowl, yet he couldn't get those back to back winking seasons? Why? Ask Ken Oxendine.

5) Never said Vick played in the super bowl. Got there with a career back up that is impressive.

6) Top 10 winning coach. Cool. He coached along time. Kind of telling that no one would hire him after his Atlanta tenure.

7) Personally I don't care what he did in New York or Denver. Only what he did in Atlanta. Sub .500 winning percentage with a spotty draft record. Cool.

8) As for crapping the bed...well no I usually use your mom's bathroom. She likes the way it smells.

1) He got crushed by vastly superior NFC teams loaded with Hall of Famers. He had one truly great player. Still got there multiple times.

2) The team that went before him was old, and the talent was retired or broke-down. He laid the groundwork for the team success that followed him.

4) Because counting to 3 is hard--- Yes, he took us to our first Super Bowl. Despite the Rankin Smith ownership era. THAT OWNERSHIP is the one constant in all the losing.

5) "He had one year where everything fell his way and another where the league was not ready for Vick." What "one good year" were you referring to if not the Super Bowl year?

6) And WHY did he coach a long time? And do you forget he had a HEART ATTACK ON THE SIDELINES that just might have curtailed his career?

7) You don't care because you don't know crap about crap.

8) Mom jokes? Sadly, this was actually the high point of your post.

10 hours ago, Since1990 said:

Thought this list was interesting.

I would have put him in the 20/1 range.

I just don't see Arthur Blank being THAT itchy to be the first to pull the trigger. If that happens, things have gone catastrophicly wrong!

I'd give Quinn at least 2 more years. Got to give Koetter and new offensive line time to gel. It could take until 2020 before the Falcons hit their ceiling.

4 minutes ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

1) He got crushed by vastly superior NFC teams loaded with Hall of Famers. He had one truly great player. Still got there multiple times.

2) The team that went before him was old, and the talent was retired or broke-down. He laid the groundwork for the team success that followed him.

4) Because counting to 3 is hard--- Yes, he took us to our first Super Bowl. Despite the Rankin Smith ownership era. THAT OWNERSHIP is the one constant in all the losing.

5) "He had one year where everything fell his way and another where the league was not ready for Vick." What "one good year" were you referring to if not the Super Bowl year?

6) And WHY did he coach a long time? And do you forget he had a HEART ATTACK ON THE SIDELINES that just might have curtailed his career?

7) You don't care because you don't know crap about crap.

8) Mom jokes? Sadly, this was actually the high point of your post.

Since you're just gonna make things up, I'm gonna leave this right here and move on:

Dan Reeves, Denver Broncos, 1990, age 46 and Atlanta Falcons, 1998, age 54: Reeves experienced chest pain in the 1990 preseason, had an artery-clearing procedure and missed just one preseason game. Then, as the Falcons coach in 1998, Reeves missed the final two regular-season games after undergoing quadruple-bypass heart surgery. He returned to the sideline to coach the Falcons to their first NFC Championship. (The Broncos then beat Atlanta in the Super Bowl.)

1 hour ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

I don't see us having a great season.

I also don't see us having a catastrophic "first coach fired" season.

That is absolutely NOT Arthur Blank''s modus operandi.

That being said, what, exactly, has Dan Quinn "gotten done" this off season?If anyone got anything done, if our draft turns out great, then Dimitroff--- not Quinn--- will have "gotten it done". All Quinn did was re-hire an OC we fired; an OC who judging by how Matt Ryan's career elevated after said firing, was holding Matt Ryan back.

I assure you,, It will be at the very least a great season. If you haven't kept up with what all Quinn has done, ,then I understand why your not a believer. Your in the dark.. Just being honest,, Not trying to be mean.. Better get your Popcorn ready... Your in for a real surprise... !!