Jump to content

Odds Quinn 1st Coach Fired In 2019


Since1990
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, No.11 said:

2013 Broncos: 37.9 PPG -- Lost 43-8 in Super Bowl XLVIII to the Seahawksnd held scoreless for three quarters.

Quick question but how many HOFers do you think are going to be on that 2013 Seahawk defense when it’s all said and done?

I say 4 at least.  Maybe 6.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, No.11 said:

DQ is too high on this list. Way too high. The fact that this team finished on a 3-game win streak when they were out of playoff contention in 2018 speaks volumes about how the players feel about him and respond to his coaching.

And before someone claims he's just some "rah-rah" coach, he's one of the few coaches that's consistently schemed defenses that have shut down high powered offenses, especially in the playoffs.

2013 Broncos: 37.9 PPG -- Lost 43-8 in Super Bowl XLVIII to the Seahawks and held scoreless for three quarters.

2017 Los Angeles Rams: 29.9 PPG -- Lost 26-13 in NFC Wildcard Round to Falcons. Lowest scoring game for Rams.

2017 Philadelphia Eagles: 28.6 PPG --Won 15-10 in NFC Divisional Round against the Falcons. Lowest scoring game for Eagles starters (lost 6-0 to Cowboys with backups in regular season finale).

It would be foolish to let DQ, who at the very least is one of the most innovative defensive coaches in the league, walk. Now with him calling the plays on defense, I think it'll only get better provided most of our starters stay healthy.

Don’t forget that defense dominated a 14-2 Patriots team in the SB for 3 quarters. Poor showing by the offense kept them on the field too long

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, OilFuturesTrader19 said:

Who writes this crap?

And why do we pay attention?

Anyone who has followed this franchise knows that Dan Quinn has taken this franchise to the next level. The team is close. Quinn is learning. Everything is on the up and up.

 

I believe Quinn can improve and maybe he will grow as a HC instead of being almost out of town like these odds would lead you to think.

Being the full-time DC and it making a difference over an entire season is one big step in and of itself.

It would indeed take a really bad year to cost him his job, IMO.

3 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Well, if he doesn't win a preseason game soon..........

tenor.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Godzilla1985 said:

Don’t forget that defense dominated a 14-2 Patriots team in the SB for 3 quarters. Poor showing by the offense kept them on the field too long

That's not the whole story. Our Defense was letting them move up and down the field in the first half. We were saved by 2 TOs and sacks by Grady to stall drives.

That said, if the offense protects the tired D instead of risking the air it out to **** with score and win % wrt time remaining?

Yep...that's what happened...but nah, the D was gassed from it's own bend but don't break earlier in the game before the comeback. Look at the drive charts before they scored their first TD.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

That's not the whole story. Our Defense was letting them move up and down the field in the first half. We were saved by 2 TOs and sacks by Grady to stall drives.

That said, if the offense protects the tired D instead of risking the air it out to **** with score and win % wrt time remaining?

Yep...that's what happened...but nah, the D was gassed from it's own bend but don't break earlier in the game before the comeback. Look at the drive charts before they scored their first TD.

Coaches, offense, defense, they all share blame, coaches  run the #### ball ; offense, make one more play- Freeman picks up a block, Matthews doesn't hold in the red zone, ;defense, one more pass break up, one more sack, knock the Edelman pass to the ####### ground. One more ######## play, that's all it would have taken, one more play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, notthatcool said:

Smitty lost that team.  His last game he had a home game to win to go to playoffs.  Team looked like they had quit and got blown out 34-3.  Not to mention the London game and other missteps that year.  

I remember that year, and sure remember that London game. And as down as I was watching the game it wasn't until weeks later if not the next week where we lost to Browns, where i actually shed a tear. How do we lose to an organization that was so bad they shouldn't have been in the league. Team was done after that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

Quinn will be here for a long time,, He has gotten it done this off season,, Best one in my Falcon Fan life of 46 years,,  Other than Dan Reeves who took the cheapest team in SB history to the SB. That IMO will never happen again,, Just goes to show you,, it's not just having a lot of great talent, It's more the right philosophy than having a boat load of great players... But in today's NFL.. You have to have both.. No doubt, but I think we do have the team to make a run for the Title. And the right HC and OC , DC...

Quinn is gone if the Falcons don't go deep in the playoffs. He might even be gone if they don't win the Superbowl.  He knows it which is why he took over the defense...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, slickgadawg said:

Quinn is gone if the Falcons don't go deep in the playoffs. He might even be gone if they don't win the Superbowl.  He knows it which is why he took over the defense...

Don't think that Blank is as ready to fire him as all that. What Blank really wants is continuity. I'm guessing that, unless DQ has a couple of brain fart moments that cost games in 2019 like Smith did in 2014, he's probably safe with 10 wins and/or a playoff win.

Also think it'll be a moot point because the Falcons are primed for a great year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Quinn is gone if the Falcons don't go deep in the playoffs. He might even be gone if they don't win the Superbowl.  He knows it which is why he took over the defense...

I dont believe that would be the case.  IF he had a repeat of last season (without all the injuries) he's gone and MM or DK are the new coach.  A division championship or a WC with two playoff wins all but guarantees he's back next season, and probably buys him at least 2 more years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Don't think that Blank is as ready to fire him as all that. What Blank really wants is continuity. I'm guessing that, unless DQ has a couple of brain fart moments that cost games in 2019 like Smith did in 2014, he's probably safe with 10 wins and/or a playoff win.

Also think it'll be a moot point because the Falcons are primed for a great year.

Not overruling Shanahan in that Superbowl is worst than anything Smith has ever done because of what was on the line.  In fact, the only difference between Mike Smith and Dann Quinn is 5 yards and pass inteference.  I agree that the Falcons SHOULD win the Superbowl this season but if they don't, its just my personal opinion that Blank will move on.  Quinn gets a ton of credit by some people as being the best Falcons coach ( I personally still go with Dan Reeves) but if you look at the facts, Mike Smith was better.  I graded their defense by points allowed and not total yards because Quinn built his defense to give up yards and not points.  Smith still did better in that area:

Mike Smith after 4 seasons: 43-21   two wild card loss and 1 division playoff lost in 4 years

Dan Quinn after 4 seasons:36-28    lost Superbowl, l division playoff lost in 4 years

Mike Smith Defensive points allowed ranking: 11,14,5,12 avg: 10.50

Dan Quinn Defensive points allowed ranking:14, 27,9, 25 avg: 18.75

 

Image result for pass interference roddy white san francisco gif

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Vandy said:

Meh. Our defenses have never been good during DQ’s tenure...There have been glimpses (2nd half of 2016, 2017 bend-not- break) but overall not what we/Blank thought we were getting.

I am hopeful (after 4 years) everything comes together for this upcoming season, but he’s in trouble if defense isn’t upper tier NFL D in 2019. You can only ride the offense’s coattails for so long, which at the end of the day is part of what happened to Smitty.

JMO....

To be fair, we went from 28th (26.5 ppg) to 21 ppg his first year.  And we would have been top 8 last year with no injuries.  We dominated the Eagles offense Week 1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Not overruling Shanahan in that Superbowl is worst than anything Smith has ever done because of what was on the line.  In fact, the only difference between Mike Smith and Dann Quinn is 5 yards and pass inteference.  I agree that the Falcons SHOULD win the Superbowl this season but if they don't, its just my personal opinion that Blank will move on.  Quinn gets a ton of credit by some people as being the best Falcons coach ( I personally still go with Dan Reeves) but if you look at the facts, Mike Smith was better.  I graded their defense by points allowed and not total yards because Quinn built his defense to give up yards and not points.  Smith still did better in that area:

Mike Smith after 4 seasons: 43-21   two wild card loss and 1 division playoff lost in 4 years

Dan Quinn after 4 seasons:36-28    lost Superbowl, l division playoff lost in 4 years

Mike Smith Defensive points allowed ranking: 11,14,5,12 avg: 10.50

Dan Quinn Defensive points allowed ranking:14, 27,9, 25 avg: 18.75

 

Image result for pass interference roddy white san francisco gif

 

Dan Quinn’s teams have two narrow misses in the playoffs and pure dominance in the other 3.  ****** Smitty’s teams got dominated multiple times and squeaked our 1 win. 

 

Edited by Godzilla1985
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Godzilla1985 said:

Dan Quinn’s teams have two narrow misses in the playoffs and pure dominance in the other 3.  ****** Smitty’s teams got dominated multiple times and squeaked our 1 win. 

 

WHICH side of the ball dominated?  Which brings up my other point.  The reason the Falcons have been good is Matt Ryan, Julio Jones and the pieces around them: Tony Gonzalez, Sanu, Freeman, Turner, etc.  Quinn hasn't done nothing on defense that stands out from Mike Smith...

Edited by slickgadawg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

To be fair, we went from 28th (26.5 ppg) to 21 ppg his first year.  And we would have been top 8 last year with no injuries.  We dominated the Eagles offense Week 1

You can pick bits and pieces of any team and point to a positive, but overall the falcons defense under quinn has been a disappointment.  No excuse for how bad we were last year on defense, even with the injuries. Which is why I said this is a critical year for Quinn to bring everything together on that side of the ball. I think/hope he will, as he realizes it's a critical year which is why is why he took over being the DC................but if he doesn't turn it around, I'm not so sure he's safe for another year.............

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

WHICH side of the ball dominated?  Which brings up my other point.  The reason the Falcons have been good is Matt Ryan, Julio Jones and the pieces around them: Tony Gonzalez, Sanu, Freeman, Turner, etc.  Quinn hasn't done nothing on defense that stands out from Mike Smith...

So far, this is a true statement. Even with the emphasis of investing more draft capital in the defense, it has no panned out........ yet........

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

Was surprised to see Peyton that high, would have put him second to last behind BB, but then realized it’s not just fired...it is fired or quits, etc.

If Garrett gets the Axe I could see Peyton interested in Dallas job and resigning or being traded there.

Peyton doesn't want to go to DAL because Jones has to control everything and Payton wants control of his own roster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Not overruling Shanahan in that Superbowl is worst than anything Smith has ever done because of what was on the line.  In fact, the only difference between Mike Smith and Dann Quinn is 5 yards and pass inteference.  I agree that the Falcons SHOULD win the Superbowl this season but if they don't, its just my personal opinion that Blank will move on.  Quinn gets a ton of credit by some people as being the best Falcons coach ( I personally still go with Dan Reeves) but if you look at the facts, Mike Smith was better.  I graded their defense by points allowed and not total yards because Quinn built his defense to give up yards and not points.  Smith still did better in that area:

Mike Smith after 4 seasons: 43-21   two wild card loss and 1 division playoff lost in 4 years

Dan Quinn after 4 seasons:36-28    lost Superbowl, l division playoff lost in 4 years

Mike Smith Defensive points allowed ranking: 11,14,5,12 avg: 10.50

Dan Quinn Defensive points allowed ranking:14, 27,9, 25 avg: 18.75

 

 

 

Had the Falcons been reasonably healthy last year, DQ blows away Smith in 4 years. People forget how many people considered the falcons a super bowl favorite at the start of last year. Then, many of the players that made people think that got injured in the first 2 weeks.

The talent assembled by the falcons now far surpasses anything that Smith put together. And, I loved Smith, defended him until the overseas trip, still think he was the perfect hire for 2008. Would have let him go in 2013, but he had earned that extra year.

This Falcons team can be really really good for the next  5 years. You couldn't have said that about Smith's teams starting in 2012.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...