Odds Quinn 1st Coach Fired In 2019

Since1990

3 minutes ago, notthatcool said:

Look at the 16 defensive roster that he took to the SB.  He knows more about coaching D than 90 percent of the people on this board give him credit for.  With this D roster and DQ as the DC, I am expecting big things. 

And to answer your question.  You said if he has another year outside the top 20.  So I assumed you were referring last year.  But looking on nfl dot com points, scoring and yards, we have never been in the 20s.   

http://www.nfl.com/teams/statistics?season=2019&team=ATL&seasonType=

OK, ,I gave you a like ,I noticed you only needed two likes to have 2345 post and 2345 likes.. Your welcome.... :tiphat:  Some times it's tuff being a perfectionist!! :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Look at Blanks history.

Two consecutive seasons of missing the playoffs is all it takes.

Smitty was by far the most successful coach for the Falcons... and he only got 2 losing seasons.  And they were injury filled seasons including one where he basically lost the entire starting o line.

Quinn isn’t as safe as you think.

It wasn't just the losing seasons.  It was his inability to do anything in the playoffs as well.

And that last season was just weird.  It felt like Smith had checked out.

Edited by abcranford2

48 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

The worst move that could be made by our Owner is if he fired TD,,  The one who is on his way to making this team the best Falcon team ever!! This team we have right now is the by far the best Falcon team ever assembled.. I don't know much,, but I do know that much. I think our odds of winning a SB this year is around 4 to 1,, And that is because there is no doubt we have a top 4 team in the NFL this year... :tiphat: Just watch and get back to me after the season.. I'll confess that I was right!! :mmmhmm:

It's less then Quinn but I do think TD is on the hot seat. If this new Oline does not pan out that may be it for him.

Look at Blanks history.

Smitty was by far the most successful coach for the Falcons... and he only got 2 losing seasons.  And they were injury filled seasons including one where he basically lost the entire starting o line.

Smitty lost that team.  His last game he had a home game to win to go to playoffs.  Team looked like they had quit and got blown out 34-3.  Not to mention the London game and other missteps that year.  

10 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

It's less then Quinn but I do think TD is on the hot seat. If this new Oline does not pan out that may be it for him.

Well, even if TD makes a rare mistake,, Bland is by far to smart to let one mistake fire a person who is eventually making this the best Falcon team in History. That will be made clear by mid season this year... Our first game is going to be what I think the hardest game all year.. I hate it that it had the be the first game,, We actually will have to be at out best to win that first game.. But I still think it will be the hardest game we play in regular season.. Just wish it could have been 3 or 4 games into the season.. Being that it will be close,, that home field advantage could cause us a  ruff start to the season.. 

The great news is,  we are also a top 4 team in the NFL this year.. But that first game playing a great team at their place will be IMO the toughest game of the year.!!  If we take that one,, I'd say we might only lose 4 or 5 games all year.. And if we lose,, I still think we make the playoffs and will be a much better team by then be ready for a SB run. But that first game will be the hardest one.

1 hour ago, NeonDeion said:

Don’t think even a #metoo could get him canned. Probably would take a #paterno to get him fired 

Not even that.  Belichick and Kraft have so much on each other that neither of them can do anything to the other.  It is a contentious marriage that cannot endure a divorce without ruining both parties.

1 minute ago, NaGaBoy said:

Not even that.  Belichick and Kraft have so much on each other that neither of them can do anything to the other.  It is a contentious marriage that cannot endure a divorce without ruining both parties.

That could be said about Blank and TD,, Not so much as having something on the other, ,just that they work together really well, and both are very smart in their decisions.  It's like when you built a house,, get about half done,, then say,, Hey,, I'm going to burn this one down and start over!  That only sets a team back the many years that got us where we are today.. We have been going forward ever since Blank has had the team.. He had to make some adjustments.. But the best thing he ever did was let TD run this thang !!!  IN TD I TRUST all my FAlcon needs!! He's the man ,, man!! 

Look at Blanks history.

I think you are making a conclusion on very weak and limited data.  Smitty was acting goofy after his heart attack.  I know why.

I had major surgery about 20 years ago.  I almost kicked the bucket in recovery due to limited blood and oxygen.  When I finally got out of the hospital, I was looking at the world with a young child's amazement.  I had difficulty solving basic problems.  I went back to work in 3 months.  I was lost.  Fortunately, things came back to me every day.  My former knowledge was unavailable to me until something happened that triggered a chain of memories being revitalized.  It took a year to return to normal.

Blank likely did not understand Smittys state of confusion, only the resulting mistakes. 

Dan Quinn is sitting on his season of greatest potential.  Blank is thinking only of wins, a championship, and a Lombardi.  He is far from considering firing anyone unless it is a grounds keeper, janitor, water boy, or that cute cheerleader who keeps distracting the players.

43 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Was surprised to see Peyton that high, would have put him second to last behind BB, but then realized it’s not just fired...it is fired or quits, etc.

If Garrett gets the Axe I could see Peyton interested in Dallas job and resigning or being traded there.

Can't see him leaving if Brees is still playing well. If Brees declines/retires, then yeah,he might like the challenge of a new team.

28 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Can't see him leaving if Brees is still playing well. If Brees declines/retires, then yeah,he might like the challenge of a new team.

I could have swore there were rumors of a potential return to DAL for him and even him potentially being traded a couple years back...that said, they were nothing but unfounded rumors.

1 hour ago, UnrealfalcoN said:

When are we going to learn that history has no bearing on your future? Smitty was a whole different scenario

It's called a pattern of behavior from the guy that does the firing.

And let's not forget going into 2014 Smitty only had 1 losing season and the team looked super talented.

A lot can happen in a year.  

That being said I hope he doesn't get fired but I can see it happening.

2 hours ago, Osiruz said:

His teams were low on talent, and he was a bad xs and os coach. DQ is the best coach in Falcons history. 

2 hours ago, falconsfan4life3 said:

Smitty only had 1 playoff win. Quinn has 3 in less time. Also Falcons have way more talent then in 13/14.

Ok so if Quinn has a more talented team that makes him safe?  Doing less with more isn't a good thing.

As far as Quinn being the best coach in Falcons history... what is the measurement?  Playoff wins?  If so then he does have an advantage because of one season but if you go by wins and losses it's Smitty.

But I get it.  Hindsight is 20/20. People forget what it was like going into 2014.  2013 was an injury filled season.  They lost Julio Jones for the season and Roddy was never 100% and the oline was a disaster.

But 2014?  Oh that was going to be so different.  They finally addressed the trenches and it looked to be a talented team.  Then people started dropping like flies on the o-line and you know the rest.

All this being said I like what I've seen from team so far.  However one or two bad things and the season could go sideways quickly and as I pointed out Blank has shown injuries don't matter to him.  Results do.

1 hour ago, abcranford2 said:

It wasn't just the losing seasons.  It was his inability to do anything in the playoffs as well.

And that last season was just weird.  It felt like Smith had checked out.

1 hour ago, notthatcool said:

Smitty lost that team.  His last game he had a home game to win to go to playoffs.  Team looked like they had quit and got blown out 34-3.  Not to mention the London game and other missteps that year.  

As I mentioned you have to go back and think about things going into the 2014 season because hindsight is 20/20.

The last season was weird because the massive injuries they had... especially on the oline.  Even with that they had a shot at the division until the last game.  A game in which Carolina realized the Falcons couldn't block up front long enough to throw anything deep.  So they sat and jumped on the underneath routes.  Clearly the Falcons couldn't run the ball.  If you recall that game was the nightmare come true.  The oline couldn't block anyone.

All I'm saying is Quinn is not as bullet proof as people think.  What happens if the team doesn't make the playoffs and it's due mainly to massive penalties and poor clock management?  

Do I like Quinn?  Yes

Do I think this is a good team?  Yes

Do I like the direction this offseason?  Yes

The main difference is that I clearly remember feeling the same way going into 2014.

2 hours ago, notthatcool said:

Look at the 16 defensive roster that he took to the SB.  He knows more about coaching D than 90 percent of the people on this board give him credit for.  With this D roster and DQ as the DC, I am expecting big things. 

And to answer your question.  You said if he has another year outside the top 20.  So I assumed you were referring last year.  But looking on nfl dot com points, scoring and yards, we have never been in the 20s.   

http://www.nfl.com/teams/statistics?season=2019&team=ATL&seasonType=

Meh. Our defenses have never been good during DQ’s tenure...There have been glimpses (2nd half of 2016, 2017 bend-not- break) but overall not what we/Blank thought we were getting.

I am hopeful (after 4 years) everything comes together for this upcoming season, but he’s in trouble if defense isn’t upper tier NFL D in 2019. You can only ride the offense’s coattails for so long, which at the end of the day is part of what happened to Smitty.

JMO....

DQ is too high on this list. Way too high. The fact that this team finished on a 3-game win streak when they were out of playoff contention in 2018 speaks volumes about how the players feel about him and respond to his coaching.

And before someone claims he's just some "rah-rah" coach, he's one of the few coaches that's consistently schemed defenses that have shut down high powered offenses, especially in the playoffs.

2013 Broncos: 37.9 PPG -- Lost 43-8 in Super Bowl XLVIII to the Seahawks and held scoreless for three quarters.

2017 Los Angeles Rams: 29.9 PPG -- Lost 26-13 in NFC Wildcard Round to Falcons. Lowest scoring game for Rams.

2017 Philadelphia Eagles: 28.6 PPG --Won 15-10 in NFC Divisional Round against the Falcons. Lowest scoring game for Eagles starters (lost 6-0 to Cowboys with backups in regular season finale).

It would be foolish to let DQ, who at the very least is one of the most innovative defensive coaches in the league, walk. Now with him calling the plays on defense, I think it'll only get better provided most of our starters stay healthy.