Ito Smith 2018 gif review

Goober Pyle

That first run versus the Panthers is the run I've mentioned a number of times on here as to the value in a RB with vision, balance, and feet over long speed. Ito turned that run into a 12 yard gain when it could have easily been a loss. People here expect blocking to always be ideal. It won't be. You need RBs who can create and if they can't, your offense will struggle to stay on schedule and lack consistency. That's why I complained constantly about #26. That play is a loss instead of a first down with him and how guys like Ito and even Free keep those from happening more often. 

13 minutes ago, vel said:

That first run versus the Panthers is the run I've mentioned a number of times on here as to the value in a RB with vision, balance, and feet over long speed. Ito turned that run into a 12 yard gain when it could have easily been a loss. People here expect blocking to always be ideal. It won't be. You need RBs who can create and if they can't, your offense will struggle to stay on schedule and lack consistency. That's why I complained constantly about #26. That play is a loss instead of a first down with him and how guys like Ito and even Free keep those from happening more often. 

I said a million times that Coleman was better than Free in every way physically.  Bigger, stronger, faster.

But Free's vision is something that can't be taught in the film room or cultivated in the weight room or on the track.  Mostly, you either have it or you don't.  Free has it.  Ito has it too.

3 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I said a million times that Coleman was better than Free in every way physically.  Bigger, stronger, faster.

But Free's vision is something that can't be taught in the film room or cultivated in the weight room or on the track.  Mostly, you either have it or you don't.  Free has it.  Ito has it too.

2 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Which is not to bag on Coleman.  He's a weapon.  But he was never going to be the primary weapon, because he didn't see things the way Freeman sees things. 

It's the same thing that made Marshall Faulk great.

Exactly. You just can't teach vision like they have it. And like you said, people always took that as a slight to Coleman. It's not, in comparison, Coleman is nowhere close to Free. And that's his biggest hurdle, along with his balance and footwork. You even see with Hill, the difference in his vision to Ito's. 

Ito is like Freemen's protege.  Dude runs so much like Freeman.  Presses the stretch until the defenders commit and then plants and cuts against the grain.  With Free and Ito doing the 1-2 for 4 quarters, we will have some tired defenses by the 4th quarter.  I could not imagine trying to corral those 2 for 4 quarters of football.  Add to that an upgraded O-Line and we could be looking really good this year.  

1 minute ago, RichardCNile said:

Ito is like Freemen's protege.  Dude runs so much like Freeman.  Presses the stretch until the defenders commit and then plants and cuts against the grain.  With Free and Ito doing the 1-2 for 4 quarters, we will have some tired defenses by the 4th quarter.  I could not imagine trying to corral those 2 for 4 quarters of football.  Add to that an upgraded O-Line and we could be looking really good this year.  

This, honestly, is why I think Ollison makes the team over Hill, even though Hill is having a good preseason. Ollison is known for his ability to catch, and he's a truly big back that I think Mularkey and Koetter want to have on the team (witness the fact that he's the first big back we've drafted since Quinn got here).  Hill isn't small, but Ollison has about 20 pounds on him.  Hill is not faster, so he's going to have to make the team over the new draft pick by showing out.

He's played well enough.  But he hasn't done anything eye-popping.  So they'll get Free and Ito running them all over the field, and then in the 4th Ollison comes in like our Jason Snelling to help close out games.

Could be wrong, but that's the tea leaves I'm reading.

2 hours ago, JDaveG said:

This, honestly, is why I think Ollison makes the team over Hill, even though Hill is having a good preseason. Ollison is known for his ability to catch, and he's a truly big back that I think Mularkey and Koetter want to have on the team (witness the fact that he's the first big back we've drafted since Quinn got here).  Hill isn't small, but Ollison has about 20 pounds on him.  Hill is not faster, so he's going to have to make the team over the new draft pick by showing out.

He's played well enough.  But he hasn't done anything eye-popping.  So they'll get Free and Ito running them all over the field, and then in the 4th Ollison comes in like our Jason Snelling to help close out games.

I keep waiting for OC to wise up and move Hill to FB. I actually see him in that Snelling role but as a FB, which Jason played there at times too. 

i would let Ortiz go, and move Hill in his spot.

Excellent conversation gents. 

Vision is what sets Freeman and Ito apart. Ito is a blend of Freemen’s vision and quick juke ability with the speed to go the distance. He’s not as fast as Coleman, but he is faster than Freeman.

Freeman in good health is hands down the best we have, but Ito is no question the second best we have. 

I also live having a big bruising RB like Ollison in the mix. I love Hill too, just not sure we have room for him. I would think if there is a trade scenario it would be Hill. 

2 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Ito has better vision even tho his pay doesn’t say it. Free runs to make contact 60% percent of the time. Ito’s vision is pretty amazing and although he doesn’t break 60 yard runs Ito runs with a style that would absolutely kill teams in the second half/4th qt. A lot a defensive players will struggle to get a hand on a player like Ito when dealing with a player like Free in the first half.

3 hours ago, JDaveG said:

This is why there is more to the position that just being big and fast.  People hate on Free because he is not some 6'3" 250 lb back that can run a 4.3.  Teco was the more physically impressive specimen than Free, but Free was the much better runner.

Free's vision alone is light years ahead of where Tevin could ever hope to be.

3 hours ago, JDaveG said:

I think you are 100% correct.  

25 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Love Ito. Had him mocked and actually landed him. He's going to be good for us

And we just saw again why! He was dead to rights on that short pass, but somehow shook that defender off and made some good yards on the play.

I lobe Ito....and in the passing game this year he is going to light it up