Tim Mazetti

Rico: Part Two: The Comeback.

24 posts in this topic

Thanks @Tim Mazetti! I'm one of those ones that despite knowing Rico was a key piece to our D, I didn't realize how important of a piece he actually was. We missed his leadership and attitude, and I'll be glad to see him back with Neal and Debo. 

Also props to Rico's wife because she's is a good one imo! She keeping things in perspective and continuing to push him to be better even when he's out for the season. 

Edited by BoomGoesTheDynamite

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

I'm one of those ones that despite knowing Rico was a key piece to our D, I didn't realize how important of a piece he actually was.

Me too! I knew he was the leader of the D, but not how important he was in that role.

As another poster stated, we can thank Smitty for stashing him on the PS in lieu of cutting him.

You are correct, the team sorely missed him last year, but as mentioned in the video, Kazee did his best to step in and glean info from Rico during Rico's rhab..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Me too! I knew he was the leader of the D, but not how important he was in that role.

As another poster stated, we can thank Smitty for stashing him on the PS in lieu of cutting him.

You are correct, the team sorely missed him last year, but as mentioned in the video, Kazee did his best to step in and glean info from Rico during Rico's rhab..

Yeah, but even then putting Starr on the team and sticking Rico on the PS was such a 'what the freak?' move that even Jamie Dukes spoke out against it.

What got me about the interaction with Rico and Kazee was how humble they were. Kazee coming to Rico for help, and Rico for praising Kazee's ability and helping him. DQ and others are right, Rico is one of the best leaders on this team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man I remember tearing my Achilles. Everything he talked about is so real. The first time running is so weird. It's hard and scary and mental. You have to fully trust the doctor fixed it and it can handle it. But once you gain that trust, you go full on. 

We're talking about a former 5th rounder, cut, put on the practice squad, fighting for his professional life, to a starter. You think this man ain't coming back pissed off ready to go?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, vel said:

Man I remember tearing my Achilles. Everything he talked about is so real. The first time running is so weird. It's hard and scary and mental. You have to fully trust the doctor fixed it and it can handle it. But once you gain that trust, you go full on. 

We're talking about a former 5th rounder, cut, put on the practice squad, fighting for his professional life, to a starter. You think this man ain't coming back pissed off ready to go?!

First INT in week 1 will go to Rico

vel and dyrtysouth2000 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, vel said:

Man I remember tearing my Achilles. Everything he talked about is so real. The first time running is so weird. It's hard and scary and mental. You have to fully trust the doctor fixed it and it can handle it. But once you gain that trust, you go full on. 

We're talking about a former 5th rounder, cut, put on the practice squad, fighting for his professional life, to a starter. You think this man ain't coming back pissed off ready to go?!

I had avascular necrosis like Bo Jackson.  It took 17 hours of surgery to eliminate the issue followed by a year in a wheelchair, crutches, and finally a cane.  Muscle atrophy was the biggest issue.  My leg turned into a noodle.  I had to deal with a lot of pain and trust a great deal to even walk again. 

Rico's comeback is impressive.  Very impressive.

Emmitt and vel like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, vel said:

Man I remember tearing my Achilles. Everything he talked about is so real. The first time running is so weird. It's hard and scary and mental. You have to fully trust the doctor fixed it and it can handle it. But once you gain that trust, you go full on. 

We're talking about a former 5th rounder, cut, put on the practice squad, fighting for his professional life, to a starter. You think this man ain't coming back pissed off ready to go?!

This is so true!  My daughter (soccer player) tore both ACLs and talked a lot about learning to trust the knee again. later she wrote a college paper on how after a sports injury mental rehab is just as import as physical rehab.  Looks like Rio fought through it tho.  Can't wait to see him own the field again.

 

vel likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

Yeah, but even then putting Starr on the team and sticking Rico on the PS was such a 'what the freak?' move that even Jamie Dukes spoke out against it.

What got me about the interaction with Rico and Kazee was how humble they were. Kazee coming to Rico for help, and Rico for praising Kazee's ability and helping him. DQ and others are right, Rico is one of the best leaders on this team.

Smith held this team back more than I think people will ever admit.  He had his good points but I’m glad he’s gone.

BoomGoesTheDynamite likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Godzilla1985 said:

Smith held this team back more than I think people will ever admit.  He had his good points but I’m glad he’s gone.

Agree, but I'd still prefer the Smitty over the Petrino bs. That was about as low a point as a franchise could get and Smitty/TD helped pull us immediately out of it and got us to a wildcard spot.

Godzilla1985 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

Agree, but I'd still prefer the Smitty over the Petrino bs. That was about as low a point as a franchise could get and Smitty/TD helped pull us immediately out of it and got us to a wildcard spot.

I completely agree. He was part of the progression to get here now.

BoomGoesTheDynamite likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

Yeah, but even then putting Starr on the team and sticking Rico on the PS was such a 'what the freak?' move that even Jamie Dukes spoke out against it.

What got me about the interaction with Rico and Kazee was how humble they were. Kazee coming to Rico for help, and Rico for praising Kazee's ability and helping him. DQ and others are right, Rico is one of the best leaders on this team.

That Brotherhood thing is real. These players are in this thing together. I know Rico, Debo and Neal felt it in their soul last season when they were out and the defense was getting abused and often just looked completely lost.

Now the young players have had that year of trial-by-fire, and Rico, Debo and Neal having had to endure that from the sideline, are probably even more eager than the young players to get out and contribute, to bring this defense back up into the Top 10 in the league again. I think this will be the best defense we've had since Quinn's been here, as well as Smitty's years.

BoomGoesTheDynamite likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

That Brotherhood thing is real. These players are in this thing together. I know Rico, Debo and Neal felt it in their soul last season when they were out and the defense was getting abused and often just looked completely lost.

Now the young players have had that year of trial-by-fire, and Rico, Debo and Neal having had to endure that from the sideline, are probably even more eager than the young players to get out and contribute, to bring this defense back up into the Top 10 in the league again. I think this will be the best defense we've had since Quinn's been here, as well as Smitty's years.

100% agree.

In addition to those 3 coming back, Takk is stronger and has another season under his belt. Grady looks even better physically  than he did last year , and he's got his money. Love the Bailey pickup, Crawford is back, and Cominsky looks good for a rook. I hope Oliver can take that next step, and both Miller and Sheffield has shown potential. Campbell is also back which is a plus.

Only "?" is Vic, but if he does make me eat crow, I'll do it with a smile on my face. Grace>Riley btw.

Tim Mazetti and PokerSteve like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Pick 6 to put us up 14 with 3:00 left in the game.

If we only have 7 points with 3 minutes left this board will be absolutely ******* mental.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Godzilla1985 said:

Smith held this team back more than I think people will ever admit.  He had his good points but I’m glad he’s gone.

I belelieve he was the right man for the job in 2008 but once the team began to take off, he really was one of the biggest weaknesses. 

 

Godzilla1985 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the most respectful way, Rico’s Wife is beyond awesome. She may look the part of the model trophy wife but she is a real one. Her support and perspective really is what carried Rico through this process. Kudos and thank God for her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now