Unintentional Grounding

Falcons Film Breakdown - Takk and Vic in the bear defense

46 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Can't watch the video so can you explain here? Looked like a 3-4 more than a bear to me. What did you see?

I can't quite see Crawford's alignment, but it looks like he was shaded over the guard which makes it a double eagle (or Bear) front... which if we're going down the rabbit-hole is played exactly the same by 3-4 and 4-3 base teams.

Edited by PeytonMannings Forehead

2 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I can't quite see Crawford's alignment, but it looks like he was shaded over the guard which makes it a double eagle (or Bear) front... which if we're going down the rabbit-hole is played exactly the same by 3-4 and 4-3 base teams.

Welcome back stranger.

JDaveG likes this

3 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I got you. The bear fronts I've seen have had one more guy down near the line. Why is this one different? 

5 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Which rabbit hole is your preference with our personnel?

Personally, our DL has great depth and I love Foye/Debo so anything that plays to our speed at LB and depth at DL I am good with

PokerSteve likes this

55 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

I got you. The bear fronts I've seen have had one more guy down near the line. Why is this one different? 

Five man line. Takk and Beez standing at times.. Two three techs in the middle and a five tech on the left next to Beez. TE on Takk.

Two LBs in the middle, next to each other five yards off the LOS. SS seven yards off on the strong side five to seven yards from the two Mlbs.

Takk is tilted toward the QB, but still has contain on the right. He missed contain once and let Fitzmagic broke it and get a throw off to his side.

On another breakdown, Beez broke through the G and T for a tackle on the RB with Takk spearing in from his angle to grab the RB from behind after Beez had the stop.

Fast and furious.

This looks very good for pre season D.

@PeytonMannings Forehead Did I do this correctly?

PokerSteve likes this

3 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

I think when we hear Bear defense, we kinda intuitively think of Buddy Ryan's 46 Bear defense which looked like this.  That extra linebacker on the LOS plus the safety give it a distinct look but what makes it an Eagle or Bear from is the two tackles in a 4i and the nose over the center. 

1985-bears-49ers-46-2-tight-02.jpg

Not quite sure the nomenclature Eagle/Bear got all intertwined, but people often see the two edge players standing up and think 3-4 when there's a little more to it than that.

Bear_Front.JPG?_ga=2.10526324.1961985841.1565739211-2097438737.1565739211

1 minute ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Which rabbit hole is your preference with our personnel.

Personally, our DL has great depth and I love Foye/Debo so anything that plays to our speed at LB and depth at DL I am good with

No particular preference.  4-3, 3-4 they're just alignments.  I tend to like the 4-3, but it all works.  If we're talking defense, I like the package we got.  We're a 4-3 team but basing out of the Under front we get the best of both worlds.  Not a lot of teams base out of the Under because of the versatile players you need to make it work.  You can play around with personnel that would traditionally fit in a 3-4, but get the speed and one-gap attacking philosophy that you traditionally get with the 4-3.

3 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Welcome back stranger.

Tim!

36 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Five man line. Takk and Beez standing at times.. Two three techs in the middle and a five tech on the left next to Beez. TE on Takk.

Two LBs in the middle, next to each other five yards off the LOS. SS seven yards off on the strong side five to seven yards from the two Mlbs.

Takk is tilted toward the QB, but still has contain on the right. He missed contain once and let Fitzmagic broke it and get a throw off to his side.

On another breakdown, Beez broke through the G and T for a tackle on the RB with Takk spearing in from his angle to grab the RB from behind after Beez had the stop.

Fast and furious.

This looks very good for pre season D.

@PeytonMannings Forehead Did I do this correctly?

You got the structure, but you missed the nose tackle.

Just now, Tim Mazetti said:

Well then coming from you I consider that a win.

So a NT over C and a three and a five. With 88 and 44 on the edges.

This is different.

Nah, you go it.  It's preseason for everyone.  

Yes, that's an Under front.  If we're talking about the play Underground breaks down at the start of his vid, then you've got what a NT, and essentially two 3-techs... although most of the time they'll be aligned in something closer to a 4i.  So a NT, two 4is and Takk and Vic on the edge.

Essentially what it does is it takes away the normal bubble offenses like to run into.  The twin 4i look caught fire the last few season in college especially where all those spread teams were running inside zone out of the gun right into the bubble of regular Over fronts.

VTCrunkler and Tim Mazetti like this

4 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

The twin 4i look caught fire the last few season in college especially where all those spread teams were running inside zone out of the gun right into the bubble of regular Over fronts.

Will you explain a 4i?

Just now, Tim Mazetti said:

?

The #s are the DL alignment on the offensive line. "I" stands for inside. The odd numbers or even w/ the "I" are DL lined up on the shoulder of the offensive lineman. The straight even number is head up

PokerSteve and Tim Mazetti like this

17 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Will you explain a 4i?

3-technique is outside shoulder of the guard, right?

4i is INSIDE shoulder of the tackle.  It's real subtle -- we're talking oftentimes a matter of inches, especially if the o-line has tight splits and are all bunched in together.

Most of the time it's all but impossible for me to pick up without he end zone view.  Sometimes we'll actually run it with two 3-techs.

There are even times when we'll be in an under and he'll tilt the nose, then run a 5-tech to the strong side and he'll two gap... sometimes the 5-tech will be a 4i.  Quinn likes to mix it up a lot.  

Edited by PeytonMannings Forehead

11 minutes ago, jwickha2 said:

The #s are the DL alignment on the offensive line. "I" stands for inside. The odd numbers or even w/ the "I" are DL lined up on the shoulder of the offensive lineman. The straight even number is head up

Thanks brother. I couldn't enlarge your diagram at first. Then I did it.

Nice, thanks. Great explaination with that diagram.

1 hour ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

They’ve been running eagle from what I’ve seen. We ran eagle my freshman year of highschool. And yes they are. Been trying to explain that the players Quinn likes are interchangeable to run 3-4, 4-3 under, 52 bear or eagle. I loving the multiplicity if the defense 

5 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

4i is INSIDE shoulder of the tackle.  It's real subtle -- we're talking oftentimes a matter of inches, especially if the o-line has tight splits and are all bunched in together.

Most of the time it's all but impossible for me to pick up without he end zone view.  Sometimes we'll actually run it with two 3-techs.

There are even times when we'll be in an under and he'll tilt the nose, then run a 5-tech to the strong side... sometimes the 5-tech will be a 4i.  Quinn likes to mix it up a lot.  

I am learning here. Thanks for the new wrinkle in this 67 year-old brain....er, what's left of it.

8 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

There are even times when we'll be in an under and he'll tilt the nose, then run a 5-tech to the strong side... sometimes the 5-tech will be a 4i.  Quinn likes to mix it up a lot.  

I think I see how this will hinder the running game. I thank you.

2 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

They’ve been running eagle from what I’ve seen. We ran eagle my freshman year of highschool. 

Yeah, I haven't watched every preseason snap this year, but what I've seen they've leaned in that front a lot.  Looks like Quinn said we're getting that run stopped up this year come **** or high water.  Usually he'd roll it out against multiple tight ends.  That play he's rolling it out against 21.

1 minute ago, Tim Mazetti said:

I am learning here. Thanks for the new wrinkle in this 67 year-old brain....er, what's left of it.

:D yeah I got you.  Gotta keep those wheels churning.

Btw @Unintentional Grounding didn't mean to highjack your thread, bro.