Depth Chart Surprise

Cheap Talk

While I wouldn’t place future outcomes or final roster on a change made in depth chart during middle of preseason, I also would say it’s wrong to think there was no reason whatsoever for it. 

I would suggest the reason is either Zimmmer has pulled ahead of Senat because of something Zimmer is doing *at this point* in coaches eyes, or Senat has fallen behind Zimmer because of something Senat isn’t doing at this  point, or a combination of both.

I agree with comments above.

Too early to say what's up. But I remember a comment I heard Quinn say during one of the practices that stuck out to me. He told Senat, that's the best play I've seen you make all off-season.

That could mean: He's been making many plays and that's the best...

Or, he's been sucking so far and that one play met expectation.

1 hour ago, gazoo said:

While I wouldn’t place future outcomes or final roster on a change made in depth chart during middle of preseason, I also would say it’s wrong to think there was no reason whatsoever for it. 

I would suggest the reason is either Zimmmer has pulled ahead of Senat because of something Zimmer is doing *at this point* in coaches eyes, or Senat has fallen behind Zimmer because of something Senat isn’t doing at this  point, or a combination of both.

Maybe Zimmer just wants it more at this point. Putting him ahead of Senat sends a last chance message. Maybe it'll light the fire.

33 minutes ago, slider said:

Maybe Zimmer just wants it more at this point. Putting him ahead of Senat sends a last chance message. Maybe it'll light the fire.

last chance? really? didn't we just draft him last year? Seriously doubt if 2 games into preseason his sophomore year is 'last chance'

1 hour ago, FinalScore2.0 said:

I agree with comments above.

Too early to say what's up. But I remember a comment I heard Quinn say during one of the practices that stuck out to me. He told Senat, that's the best play I've seen you make all off-season.

That could mean: He's been making many plays and that's the best...

Or, he's been sucking so far and that one play met expectation.

Yeah, I remember Quinn speaking highly of Senat just a few days ago.

4 minutes ago, papachaz said:

last chance? really? didn't we just draft him last year? Seriously doubt if 2 games into preseason his sophomore year is 'last chance'

I don't think they'll carry a guy on the active roster that doesn't make the grade especially if there's a better option. They know these guys better than anyone else, they live and work with them, when a guy doesn't have it, you know it. (Not suggesting this is the case with Senat, I don't know) I was just throwing out a possible reason for the change in the depth chart. Challenge him and see how he responds. They can always put him on the PS I guess.

20 minutes ago, atljbo said:

Depth charts in the preseason don't really mean nothing

Even if that is so, Senat had Davison brought in as the player 1 for NT. I can understand his rookie year but we weren’t comfortable with him becoming a starter in year 2.

IMO even if Senat makes the team he still must ascend or Atlanta thinks about keeping Davison longterm instead if he plays well and makes Senat expendable but ya we rarely let a draft pick just walk unless it’s a PS steal and the draft pick couldn’t crack 53man.

Duke is already in notice from 2017. So is Harlow who left and came back.

Hill was stolen by CIN but ya he came back too for the right reasons.

Saubert got sent packing with roster logjam at RB and WR, plus Graham looks to be a better project depth piece for TE.

Regarding 2018’s Draft, so far Senat hasn’t done enough. IO got a starting nod and Ridley is balling with 1on1s. Ito, Gage, & Foye all gamers.

Just imagine if we nailed more of the 2017 Draft. Takk and Kazee doing all they can to keep it respectable.

I don’t see how anybody can think it doesn’t mean anything. Obviously things can change in the next 3 weeks. That being said, almost every spot on the depth chart is how we would expect it to be, so I can’t imagine the coaches would make 2 exceptions just for the **** of it. If there is somebody ahead of somebody else, the safe assumption is that they earned it.

Hageman being in no man’s land on the depthchart does not bode well for him. I don’t think the year off helped him.

1 minute ago, pzummo said:

I don’t see how anybody can think it doesn’t mean anything. Obviously things can change in the next 3 weeks. That being said, almost every spot on the depth chart is how we would expect it to be, so I can’t imagine the coaches would make 2 exceptions just for the **** of it. If there is somebody ahead of somebody else, the safe assumption is that they earned it.

Hageman being in no man’s land on the depthchart does not bode well for him. I don’t think the year off helped him.

I agree.

I just went back and began re-watching the game on NFL game pass to look at the D-line play. The telecast announcers would rather do interviews and talk about other teams than give information about what personnel are in the game. I've only gotten through the first Dolphins series and starting with the first play of the game Bailey, playing DT just jumps off the page for the wrong reasons. He looked terrible at DT. He was blown 7 yards off the ball on the first play from scrimmage. Downhill from there on the first series. I didn't notice this on the telecast so much but again the announcers are no help.

One of the most helpful things they used to do well in preseason was keep you advised of the personnel changes. They don't even mention who's in the game now. They rarely mention the game anymore.

3 hours ago, gazoo said:

That is what I meant, something to this. How important in the final outcome remains to be seen, but it looks like Zimmer at the very least has now arrived.