Do you like the Falcons chances against the Vikings week 1?

4 hours ago, mqg96 said:

Falcons start the season on the road vs the Vikings, at home vs the Eagles, and on the road vs the Colts and Texans. The first 4 weeks of 2019 are brutal and can easily determine the outcome of our season. You think we've been awful vs the AFC lately, historically we're horrible vs the Colts just like the Browns, and we're 0-3 in Houston. Starting the season on the road is never easy, and with the game being in Minnesota against Zimmer who's owned us oh boy. Cousins never beats teams with winning records unless it's his own division once in awhile so week 1 is a MUST win for the Falcons. The Eagles at home is the game I'm most confident about in our first 4 game stretch because all the previous 3 losses to the Eagles were in Philly. Falcons teams who lose at home to the Eagles don't make the playoffs, so that's a must win too. 

We're starting the year off against 2 teams we struggle against. 2 defense's that really hamper our offense. 2 teams that usually hold Julio in check. 

Very tough sledding. The Eagles terrorize our O-Line and hold a 7 to 2 sack advantage over the last 2 games with an absolutely staggering 17.5 TFLs. They hit Matt an outrageous 22 times over the last 2 games. 

The Viking present a different challenge. They blanket our receivers like few teams in the NFL. Rhodes is the rare CB that can challenge Julio 1v1 and win enough to make us need to look elsewhere for yardage. Not an easy feat. Additionally they corralled our passing game better than I've seen just about any team, and this was our high flying, historical,  Superbowl bound offense. 

Along with the Patriots, these 2 teams are probably the among the worst teams for us to face to start the season. 

On 8/13/2019 at 11:37 AM, octoslash said:

Just remember: Our Super Bowl trip began with a loss at home to the Bucs, and we were only 7 - 5 after twelve games.  The push to the playoffs can happen at any point as long as you win the games you should win and get hot towards the latter part of the season. 

Yep and just remember that team had the biggest championship collapse in all of sports history. 

Hopefully this season does not resemble the 2016 season.

4 hours ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

We're starting the year off against 2 teams we struggle against. 2 defense's that really hamper our offense. 2 teams that usually hold Julio in check. 

Very tough sledding. The Eagles terrorize our O-Line and hold a 7 to 2 sack advantage over the last 2 games with an absolutely staggering 17.5 TFLs. They hit Matt an outrageous 22 times over the last 2 games. 

The Viking present a different challenge. They blanket our receivers like few teams in the NFL. Rhodes is the rare CB that can challenge Julio 1v1 and win enough to make us need to look elsewhere for yardage. Not an easy feat. Additionally they corralled our passing game better than I've seen just about any team, and this was our high flying, historical,  Superbowl bound offense. 

Along with the Patriots, these 2 teams are probably the among the worst teams for us to face to start the season. 

If you're including the eagles playoff game as the second game, it's 7-3 in sacks, and Falcons were down a starting guard in the playoff game and lost both starting guards in the regular season game. Both those were also away games, which means crowd noise works against you.

At home with a healthy OLine should be different. Still troublesome, but certainly winnable. Ryan is 2-0 vs. the eagles at home.

Didn't play the Vikings in 2016  and Minnesota under Zimmer is barely over 500 for his tenure there. If the Falcons have improved their lines as much as it looks like they have, should be a winnable game as well.

2 hours ago, falconidae said:

If you're including the eagles playoff game as the second game, it's 7-3 in sacks, and Falcons were down a starting guard in the playoff game and lost both starting guards in the regular season game. Both those were also away games, which means crowd noise works against you.

At home with a healthy OLine should be different. Still troublesome, but certainly winnable. Ryan is 2-0 vs. the eagles at home.

Didn't play the Vikings in 2016  and Minnesota under Zimmer is barely over 500 for his tenure there. If the Falcons have improved their lines as much as it looks like they have, should be a winnable game as well.

Thank you for the correction on the Vikings game. 

It remains to be seen if we've improved our O-Line. We've brought in competition, but until the unit actually performs in game situation we won't know whether they've improved or not. 

The Vikings and Eagles D-Line however has always been a steep challenge. We'd have to improve quite a bit to simply break even. The Eagles flat out embarrassed our line, the Vikings D-Line isn't quite as good but Matt and Julio struggle mightily against them. 

These games will tell us a lot about our team early on. 

1 hour ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Thank you for the correction on the Vikings game. 

It remains to be seen if we've improved our O-Line. We've brought in competition, but until the unit actually performs in game situation we won't know whether they've improved or not. 

The Vikings and Eagles D-Line however has always been a steep challenge. We'd have to improve quite a bit to simply break even. The Eagles flat out embarrassed our line, the Vikings D-Line isn't quite as good but Matt and Julio struggle mightily against them. 

These games will tell us a lot about our team early on. 

The OLine wasn't healthy for either of the last 2 eagles games. Just being healthy looks to be a huge step up.

I think we drop the first game......I hope we win but my gut says we loose that one. I'm of the belief we'll get better as the season goes. First 4 games gonna be shaky. Just my feelings nothing really solid to point to.

In saying all this.....I'll eat crow pie feathers and all to be wrong.

• 4 weeks later...