Rico: Part One: The Setback

Tim Mazetti

4 minutes ago, vel said:

Fans don't appreciate Rico because he's not a special talent like ET but the man is a baller and I'd be willing to bet opposing QBs are aware of Rico. 

Amongst the best value players since 2015.  Dude has made peanuts yet been top-12 at his position each year.

14 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Amongst the best value players since 2015.  Dude has made peanuts yet been top-12 at his position each year.

7 minutes ago, vel said:

Easily. Same fans who wish we could fine mid round steals been pressed to replace him for some reason. 

Honestly, I have no personal issue with Rico. I like him. Nice story. And he has definitely been worth his draft stock. I just think our fan base overrates him. He’s a very ok player. But our fans treat him like he’s a star player. Just my 2 cents 

1 minute ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Honestly, I have no personal issue with Rico. I like him. Nice story. And he has definitely been worth his draft stock. I just think our fan base overrates him. He’s a very ok player. But our fans treat him like he’s a star player. Just my 2 cents 

I don't think so. He's a very good player in the grand scheme of things. He's not a star, but people try to downplay his meaning to this team. They see Kazee's interceptions and say "That's what we need" while ignoring the plays Kazee missed that Rico wouldn't. Again, Earl Thomas' value wasn't his turnovers, but his ability to prevent things from happening. 

Put Rico in any other defense and he's probably a backup at best. But this is the best scheme for his ability and he's maximized it. 

9 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Please don't be ridiculous, Rico is the glue that keeps this defense together. 

7 minutes ago, vel said:

I don't think so. He's a very good player in the grand scheme of things. He's not a star, but people try to downplay his meaning to this team. They see Kazee's interceptions and say "That's what we need" while ignoring the plays Kazee missed that Rico wouldn't. Again, Earl Thomas' value wasn't his turnovers, but his ability to prevent things from happening. 

Put Rico in any other defense and he's probably a backup at best. But this is the best scheme for his ability and he's maximized it. 

I can agree with this. And I like having him. And I DO recognize that Kazee has liabilities that Rico covers. I just prefer playmakers/gamblers. Kazee takes risks. It’s what I liked about Samuel. But if both are on the field, I’m good with it. 

15 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

That was better. Say that instead of saying he’s the glue of the defense. He’s not even half the value of Debo, Grady, or Neal

He's not a star but he's more important to overall success than Grady or neal because he has this defense set and ready to play. He also wipes away scoring plays and saves our butts very often, I can't count how many times he's made a td saving play while guys like Trufant make business decisions or miss completely. 

14 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

That was better. Say that instead of saying he’s the glue of the defense. He’s not even half the value of Debo, Grady, or Neal

I mean..he is the qb of the defense and everybody knows it.  Not the most talented but he is by far the most prepared dude on the field at all times.  Great communicator as well.

To me Rico is the brains, Neal is the enforcer,  and Debo is....Debo.

I think having a hard worker runs off on the team for sure.  Saban credits Julio for changing the culture at Alabama because he was a star and he worked his butt off and never complained.  Saban said it rubbed off and that culture has been there ever since.