Tim Mazetti

Rico: Part One: The Setback

77 posts in this topic

I remember when we were on Hard Knocks and he was a wild eyed rookie and they were a freshly married couple. How refreshing it has been to follow their journey. Seeing them grow as a couple and him as a football player. I'm glad he's a Falcon.

NWFALCON likes this

1 hour ago, vel said:

Easily. Same fans who wish we could fine mid round steals been pressed to replace him for some reason. 

For a team that has several high end guys getting elite paychecks, to get a top 10 FS for 5 million is just good business.  You could upgrade him, but at what cost

vel and NeonDeion like this

We get guys like Rico and JJ, they get guys like ABC and OBJ. You can't help but root for Ricardo Allen, though when he went down I knew our season was over. If you watch from the stands and see how much grit, inspiration and wisdom of the game (more than some HoF'ers ever had) he gave....Truly glad to have him back. He plays the game with an 'Attitude of Gratitude' wish all realized how fortunate they are to do something they love for people that love the game.  

Tim Mazetti likes this

3 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

That was better. Say that instead of saying he’s the glue of the defense. He’s not even half the value of Debo, Grady, or Neal

But he is as valuable as them. If you didn’t see how confused the defense was when he went down then you’re severely undermining his value to the defense. You saw a difference to each layer of the defense without Grady on the line, Debo in the middle, and Rico centerfield.  The secondary was lost once he went down. Tru had his worst season. And Alf. Kazee brought some excitement but he didn’t cover the chess part. 

5 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

But he is as valuable as them. If you didn’t see how confused the defense was when he went down then you’re severely undermining his value to the defense. 

Rico played the entire game that the defense gave up 43 to New Orleans. Who didn’t play was Neal and Debo. The defense was toast when those 2 guys went down. Rico wasn’t going to save this team from any losses had he not gone down 

Flying Falcon likes this

6 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Rico played the entire game that the defense game up 43 to New Orleans. Who didn’t play was Neal and Debo. The defense was toast when those 2 guys went down. Rico wasn’t going to save this team any wins had he not gone down 

The falcons saint rivalry is gonna end one of two ways. High scoring or low scoring. That has nothing to do with one player. That’s a rivalry. Nor does one game define a season. Two teams that know each other and play twice a year. Now what happened in the game Rico didn’t play? The defense was ripped apart and looked confused. Brees hit everything that game. Brees is the type of qb that’s gonna expose your weakness. So in the first hame he attacked  duke Riley and Foye. In the second game he killed kazee. Now what about the games outside of the division? 

Is kazee a better chess player than Rico? Simple one word answer yes or no? 

slider and vel like this

5 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Honestly, I have no personal issue with Rico. I like him. Nice story. And he has definitely been worth his draft stock. I just think our fan base overrates him. He’s a very ok player. But our fans treat him like he’s a star player. Just my 2 cents 

Star depends how you define that.

I’d call him GLUE he’ll do the dirty work make that call get a guy lined up communicate a message all the stuff that stats don’t count that teammates thoroughly love.

Fans think stars a guy who makes highlight plays.

I’d call Rico a star because when he left the coverage completely fell apart from the backend our corners looked like and played like rookies.

Rico is a key part of this team no doubt about it.

JD dirtybird21 likes this

If you don't root for him, I'm not sure what's wrong with you. I remember when DQ first moved him to FS. There was an article that showed how his wife used to help him study the playbook. She had faith in him and was willing to work to make sure he succeeded. Some of y'all weren't happy with his extension but I was because I thought that he deserved it. Praying for this young man to bounce back strong.

6 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I can agree with this. And I like having him. And I DO recognize that Kazee has liabilities that Rico covers. I just prefer playmakers/gamblers. Kazee takes risks. It’s what I liked about Samuel. But if both are on the field, I’m good with it. 

Good thing you’re not coaching. This is the same **** that happens in the NBA where guys like Melo play zero defense but still get huge contracts. 

Prioritizing risk taking FS over eraser safety is how you lose games. Sexy doesn’t win games. Just look at boring dominant O-lines 

Tim Mazetti likes this

Mannnn, if you didn’t already appreciate what kind of guy Rico is, this video has to wake you up...glad this man is back. The D gonna be rockin and rolling now :slick:

4 hours ago, NeonDeion said:

Good thing you’re not coaching. This is the same **** that happens in the NBA where guys like Melo play zero defense but still get huge contracts. 

Prioritizing risk taking FS over eraser safety is how you lose games. Sexy doesn’t win games. Just look at boring dominant O-lines 

Not really what JD was saying.  Whoever wins turnover battle over the course of a full season usually wins.

25 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Not really what JD was saying.  Whoever wins turnover battle over the course of a full season usually wins.

Exactly!!

Vandy likes this

6 hours ago, NeonDeion said:

Well I’m not a coach, I’m a fan. As a fan, I know what entertains me

FalconsIn2012 likes this

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

Fumble recoveries are one of the most random stats in all of football so that adds a lot of randomness to turnover margin, not to mention it’s a team stat, not a player stat 

13 hours ago, RazorWing said:

Im thinking what his wife just said. A year off to work on his craft? Hes going to have a special year.

This^^^^

This is exactly what will make this defense special. Rico, Neal and Jones will all be coming back with a huge chip on their shoulders

8 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Star depends how you define that.

I’d call him GLUE he’ll do the dirty work make that call get a guy lined up communicate a message all the stuff that stats don’t count that teammates thoroughly love.

Fans think stars a guy who makes highlight plays.

I’d call Rico a star because when he left the coverage completely fell apart from the backend our corners looked like and played like rookies.

Rico is a key part of this team no doubt about it.

Rico is Robert Horry on the Spurs & Lakers Championship teams.  Probably 4th most talented starter on team; however, they don’t win a few of those titles without him

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

It’s absolutely shocking how true this statement is.  I mean, uncanny.

One of the few examples of this not being true is our 2017 Falcons.  I think we were 24th in TO differential yet still nearly beat the Eagles to return to the NFCCG.  Shows just how special 2017 could have been if we didn’t have such crappy luck on TO’s

JD dirtybird21 and Vandy like this

3 hours ago, Vandy said:

Yea, I’ve had countless convo’s with @FalconsIn2020 about Rico and we both know each other’s perspective. Anytime I bring up my opinion on Rico in a thread though, I usually get pretty ripped up lol. I should have taken the high road. 2020 did point something out that I definitely agree with him on though and that is that Rico absolutely steps his game up in the postseason

Vandy and FalconsIn2012 like this

7 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Yea, I’ve had countless convo’s with @FalconsIn2020 about Rico and we both know each other’s perspective. Anytime I bring up my opinion on Rico in a thread though, I usually get pretty ripped up lol. I should have taken the high road. 2020 did point something out that I definitely agree with him on though and that is that Rico absolutely steps his game up in the postseason

People can't separate you having a preference for a play style and criticizing a player for not fitting that play style. Nuance. It's a lost art. 

Vandy and JD dirtybird21 like this

17 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I like your take’s on most things (Russell Wilson still takes too many sacks).

And I understand Rico isn’t the elite athlete that is ideal for Cover 3.  But for his price, you can’t really argue with the production.

JD dirtybird21 and Vandy like this