Tim Mazetti

Rico: Part One: The Setback

77 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Amongst the best value players since 2015.  Dude has made peanuts yet been top-12 at his position each year.

7 minutes ago, vel said:

Easily. Same fans who wish we could fine mid round steals been pressed to replace him for some reason. 

Honestly, I have no personal issue with Rico. I like him. Nice story. And he has definitely been worth his draft stock. I just think our fan base overrates him. He’s a very ok player. But our fans treat him like he’s a star player. Just my 2 cents 

Flying Falcon likes this

MAN! I'm so ready for Rico to be back man. My man said "I ain't no sucka"... Between him and Neal, I'm telling yall. This defense is going to be fired up. 

1 minute ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Honestly, I have no personal issue with Rico. I like him. Nice story. And he has definitely been worth his draft stock. I just think our fan base overrates him. He’s a very ok player. But our fans treat him like he’s a star player. Just my 2 cents 

I don't think so. He's a very good player in the grand scheme of things. He's not a star, but people try to downplay his meaning to this team. They see Kazee's interceptions and say "That's what we need" while ignoring the plays Kazee missed that Rico wouldn't. Again, Earl Thomas' value wasn't his turnovers, but his ability to prevent things from happening. 

Put Rico in any other defense and he's probably a backup at best. But this is the best scheme for his ability and he's maximized it. 

9 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Please don't be ridiculous, Rico is the glue that keeps this defense together. 

7 minutes ago, vel said:

I don't think so. He's a very good player in the grand scheme of things. He's not a star, but people try to downplay his meaning to this team. They see Kazee's interceptions and say "That's what we need" while ignoring the plays Kazee missed that Rico wouldn't. Again, Earl Thomas' value wasn't his turnovers, but his ability to prevent things from happening. 

Put Rico in any other defense and he's probably a backup at best. But this is the best scheme for his ability and he's maximized it. 

I can agree with this. And I like having him. And I DO recognize that Kazee has liabilities that Rico covers. I just prefer playmakers/gamblers. Kazee takes risks. It’s what I liked about Samuel. But if both are on the field, I’m good with it. 

Vandy and Flying Falcon like this

3 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Lol this post right here is exactly why I said what I just said 

He may not get sexy picks, but he is the best tackler in the NFL at his size and he is always in the right place at the right time. 

Tim Mazetti and JD dirtybird21 like this

13 minutes ago, Osiruz said:

Please don't be ridiculous, Rico is the glue that keeps this defense together. 

Our D is going to be back playing as a unit with Rico and Debo. Last season players didn't know where they were supposed to be or what they were supposed to be doing.

1 minute ago, Osiruz said:

He may not get sexy picks, but he is the best tackler in the NFL at his size and he is always in the right place at the right time. 

That was better. Say that instead of saying he’s the glue of the defense. He’s not even half the value of Debo, Grady, or Neal

vel and Flying Falcon like this

13 minutes ago, Osiruz said:

Who else got in here ready to cuss up a storm?

Yeah, I thought of changing the title, but someone put alot of thought (I would guess.) in putting a title to the vid.

So I felt unworthy to change it.

Osiruz likes this

****. Pretty moving for a short video. Pretty cool seeing how his wife has his back like that. I can imagine how tough that was for both of them to go thru. 

Rico does look faster in the videos I’ve seen. Let’s hope he takes a jump and proves the doubters wrong 

Tim Mazetti likes this

15 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

That was better. Say that instead of saying he’s the glue of the defense. He’s not even half the value of Debo, Grady, or Neal

He's not a star but he's more important to overall success than Grady or neal because he has this defense set and ready to play. He also wipes away scoring plays and saves our butts very often, I can't count how many times he's made a td saving play while guys like Trufant make business decisions or miss completely. 

14 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I mean..he is the qb of the defense and everybody knows it.  Not the most talented but he is by far the most prepared dude on the field at all times.  Great communicator as well.

To me Rico is the brains, Neal is the enforcer,  and Debo is....Debo.

I think having a hard worker runs off on the team for sure.  Saban credits Julio for changing the culture at Alabama because he was a star and he worked his butt off and never complained.  Saban said it rubbed off and that culture has been there ever since.