Falcons Fan MVP

who do you think would be a good defensive coordinator for the Falcons if Dan Quinn were to hire a defensive coordinator?

57 posts in this topic

I absolutely love Dan Quinn as our defensive coordinator and I hope that he is our defensive coordinator for many years to come but there is a good possibility Dan Quinn will give the keys to a defensive coordinator that he feels can run the defense the way that he wants to in the next couple of years. My question is who do you think would be a good defensive coordinator for the Falcons that would compliment Dan Quinn's style? Is there someone in house that you think may be getting groomed for the position? Is there a defensive coordinator or free agent defensive coordinator out there that you think would be a perfect fit for Dan Quinn's defense? 

arrogantBEAST likes this

8 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Interesting observation. Please elaborate. Won't the D have a feel as well?

Tony is calling out plays with 5 seconds on the play clock.  Listen to Rico on mic’d Up and he is doing the same thing.  

But great DC’s have to do more.  Can they craft schemes to get pass rushers free hits on the quarterback. Elite DC’s are masterful tacticians who are adept at blowing up pass protection with overload blitzes that create one-on-one opportunities for his top pass rushers.  

And most importantly, will the players buy in to what he is saying.  Buy-in, confidence, belief...whatever you call it, is so important in every part of a team sport.  We were bought in to Shanny in 2016.  Can’t say the same for Sark in 2017

1 minute ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

ony is calling out plays with 5 seconds on the play clock.  Listen to Rico on mic’d Up and he is doing the same thing.  

Like your knowledge and passion. Thanks. That is what I think I know about Rico.

Valuable.

FalconsIn2020 likes this

5 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I absolutely love Dan Quinn as our defensive coordinator and I hope that he is our defensive coordinator for many years to come but there is a good possibility Dan Quinn will give the keys to a defensive coordinator that he feels can run the defense the way that he wants to in the next couple of years. My question is who do you think would be a good defensive coordinator for the Falcons that would compliment Dan Quinn's style? Is there someone in house that you think may be getting groomed for the position? Is there a defensive coordinator or free agent defensive coordinator out there that you think would be a perfect fit for Dan Quinn's defense? 

Give me Wade Phillips. Looks like Quinn is trying to add more 3-4 sets. Buddy can run a 3-4. Might need a couple more hosses, but he can run a lightweight 3-4 too. Seen everything. Can be a real problem for offenses. Yeah. Wade. Crafty.

35 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Give me Wade Phillips. Looks like Quinn is trying to add more 3-4 sets. Buddy can run a 3-4. Might need a couple more hosses, but he can run a lightweight 3-4 too. Seen everything. Can be a real problem for offenses. Yeah. Wade. Crafty.

If he emulates Wade Phillips 3-4 in LA, we can actually get by without the hosses.  It’s a rare 1-gap 34 which takes much of the stress off the NT and just lets the DL play fast.

I am not certain we could succeed in a 2 gap 34, though

48 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Knowing the likely play based on pre snap motion and personnel is different from being able to counter it

You're a bigger football brain than I am, I can tell.  That's a pretty **** good point.

FalconsIn2020 likes this

6 minutes ago, octoslash said:

You're a bigger football brain than I am, I can tell.  That's a pretty **** good point.

I really am not, but  imagining Romo as DC just got my mind going.

I’ve never played the game so don’t go by what I say...lol.  And I like your takes so keep em coming

34 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

If he emulates Wade Phillips 3-4 in LA, we can actually get by without the hosses.  It’s a rare 1-gap 34 which takes much of the stress off the NT and just lets the DL play fast.

I am not certain we could succeed in a 2 gap 34, though

He was great when he was here with Dan Reeves. Always been a top 5 coordinator IMO. Wish Arthur had given Dan a couple more seasons.