Jaeden Graham

Monolith2001

With the trade of Eric Saubert and only Hooper, Stocker and Paulsen being guys we know can play TE for us, the next man up is a Jaeden Graham who if I'm being honest has looked pretty good in preseason both last year and this year when he's had his chances.  Thought I would refresh the board's memory as it seems likely he could be out 4th TE and has outplayed Saubert imo.

Edited by Monolith2001

I saw the first video last year when we picked him up and while I was impressed, I had that "but it's Yale" stigma in my head.    Foye showed me that when a guy looks that out of place against that kind of talent, he may be good enough to play in the NFL.  You can see it in the film, this guy is a player and want to see a lot more reps for him.

21 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Yale or not, he knows how to focus on the ball and bring it in. Looks like Tony Gonzalez with those flypaper fingertips. Seems ready for Dirty Bird offensive weaponization.

ok as I read this, it's no surprise I finished in in my best Captain Kirk voice "activate Dirty Bird Offensive Weaponization"

:tiphat:

3 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

It’s a clear opening if Falcons carry 4 still; which is likely if Stocker becomes the only experienced NFL lead blocker. Depends on Ortiz and possibly even RB decisions vs carrying 4th TE on 53man.

I think we go this route myself. Cut Ortiz, use Stocker as FB when necessary, keep the extra RB that way for when Free goes out injured

:ninja:

16 minutes ago, athell said:

So he is a slightly slower Eric Saubert who can catch and block better?

I'm struggling to find any tangible analysis of the dude.

Plus, he converted to TE in 2017 as a senior at Yale. Just his 3rd year at the position but video shows good body control, hands, and blocking with roughly Hooper speed. He is a good candidate to make 53man if we cut Ortiz.

Just now, Ergo Proxy said:

Plus, he converted to TE in 2017 as a senior at Yale. Just his 3rd year at the position but video shows good body control, hands, and blocking with roughly Hooper speed. He is a good candidate to make 53man if we cut Ortiz.

Man do we love our converted players...not gonna lie, that actually lowers my expectations of him.

Well, we will see how this unfolds!  I won't hate on him.

4 hours ago, Monolith2001 said:

I saw the first video last year when we picked him up and while I was impressed, I had that "but it's Yale" stigma in my head.    Foye showed me that when a guy looks that out of place against that kind of talent, he may be good enough to play in the NFL.  You can see it in the film, this guy is a player and want to see a lot more reps for him.

Hope he makes the roster, but doubt the Falcons carry 4-TEs with all the WR/RB talent this year. Would have to be at the expense of Paulsen, but Paulsen looked fairly serviceable last year.

Graham actually isn't lacking much in the athletic department as people might think. If you compare his pro day numbers to Hooper's combine they are quite similar...

Hoop: 6'4" 254

40 Time- 4.72

Vert- 33 3/4"

Broad- 117"

Graham: 6'4" 239

40 Time: 4.74

Vert: 33"

Broad 122"

Like Foye, this guy has to be next level smart earning his degree at Yale. He also only had 1 year at TE at Yale as he was recruited as an OLB (this is where his physical mentality comes from with his blocking) and led his conference in yardage in his only year playing the position.

He's shown more in his preseason runs with us than Saubert has his entire 3 years. I was a Saubert fan because of his physical profile but dude only had 5 catches in the 2 years combined. 

He's at least 250 now without losing mobility. Finds holes in the zone and doesn't run the wrong routes or miss his blocks. Has more special teams upside with his OLB background. He's an intelligent guy that has picked up the playbook well and has added strength. He's really a potential replacement for Stocker later on as he profiles as an H-back style TE with sneaky athleticism to find holes in the zone. He's not flashy but he's someone who rarely makes mistakes, blocks well and catches everything thrown his way. I understand the decision to move on from Saubert.

Edited by gHost83

2 hours ago, gHost83 said:

Graham actually isn't lacking much in the athletic department as people might think. If you compare his pro day numbers to Hooper's combine they are quite similar...

Hoop: 6'4" 254

40 Time- 4.72

Vert- 33 3/4"

Broad- 117"

Graham: 6'4" 239

40 Time: 4.74

Vert: 33"

Broad 122"

Like Foye, this guy has to be next level smart earning his degree at Yale. He also only had 1 year at TE at Yale as he was recruited as an OLB (this is where his physical mentality comes from with his blocking) and led his conference in yardage in his only year playing the position.

He's shown more in his preseason runs with us than Saubert has his entire 3 years. I was a Saubert fan because of his physical profile but dude only had 5 catches in the 2 years combined. 

He's at least 250 now without losing mobility. Finds holes in the zone and doesn't run the wrong routes or miss his blocks. Has more special teams upside with his OLB background. He's an intelligent guy that has picked up the playbook well and has added strength. He's really a potential replacement for Stocker later on as he profiles as an H-back style TE with sneaky athleticism to find holes in the zone. He's not flashy but he's someone who rarely makes mistakes, blocks well and catches everything thrown his way. I understand the decision to move on from Saubert.

Great write up. I believe it was the HOF game where he made a catch and was immediately thumped afterward and I commented there is no way Saubert would have made that catch.

24 minutes ago, stizz said:

Great write up. I believe it was the HOF game where he made a catch and was immediately thumped afterward and I commented there is no way Saubert would have made that catch.

Thanks man. Yea, the guy just is solid and sure handed. Type of guy that if he can stay healthy, can be in the league for a while. Coaches love a TE who can block and catch. He could have a Dimarco type impact at fullback in Koetter's offense also.