The Good, The Bad & The Ugly - Preseason 1

RichardCNile

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly - Preaseason 1 @ Miami

Presents under the tree

by Richard C Nile 

Dear god, I always feel like such a loser this time of year.  Then I talk to guys like you that are my co workers, neighbors and close friends; and suddenly I feel OK again. I realize it’s not just me.  I find comfort, solace and unity when I realize I’m not a distant data point on the crazy spectrum and instead, we are a huge and powerful demographic data grouping of people who just freakin love football season.  

We treat it like Christmas and preseason is the equivalent of shaking and prodigy at wrapped presents put under the tree, then boasting or fretting to your siblings, cousins and schoolmates about what you think you are or are not getting.  And just like Christmas, the best presents are usually kept hidden until Christmas morning.  Even though we know this, we can’t resist the prodding and shaking and speculating every preseason.  After all, as grown men, this is our Christmas.   Merry Christmas football fans.  

Here’s the Good, The Bad and the Ugly that I saw under the tree so far.  

The Good:

Salud!  As they say south of the boarder... “Health!”  Yes we made it through healthy.  Always a bonus. The decision of DQ to keep our best fo the best hidden until Christmas Day shows he is a wise man.  

Takk. - Christmas can be an emotionally stressful time for many people.   We all heard about Takk working in stuff  this summer.   This is what I thought of when I Saw Takk playing Thursday night.  

Run Game - we scored 3 running TD’s  the first one was the best.  We lined up on the goal line, ran behind Lindstrom and had Jamon Brown pull.  Seeing him bear down on what I assume was the Miami safety #23 or #25) was like when Chevy Chase finally got the lights to work in Christmas Vacation

#62?  What?  Er, wait, What?  I mean Who?  Austin Larkin - not sure who he is yet.  I gotta shake this present some more to see what it might be, but based on what it sounds and feels like, it could be a good one.  When you get 5 or 6 solo tackles, a sack and a couple of shots in the QB, you’re looking real good, even if he’s just some good depth.

turnovers - don’t let your crazy aunt fool you.  It’s always better to receive than give and we root 2 turnovers and gave up none.   To me that was one of the key things DQ brought to the D in the latter half of 2016 when he took it over.  We got turnovers and that was a big part of the 6 point per game reduction in points allowed.  It was good to see our D ripping the ball out of the air and their ams.  

The Bad

Penalties - lot of 3rd down penalties killed drives for us and extended them for Miami.

Oliver - He seemed to struggle, hope he gets it together in the next 4 weeks 

RB’s -  we have a stable of RB’s   They all look decent.  No worries about this position.  

WR’s  - same as our RB’s  so much depth.  These guys all look good.  

The Ugly

DB’s  - I realize many of these guys won’t be on the tram, but many of them looked lost in space.

Seasons Greetings football fans!

11 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Penalties by guys who are new to the NFL and won't start anytime soon aren't a real concern.

11 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Penalties by guys who are new to the NFL and won't start anytime soon aren't a real concern.

12 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Okay okay.. 

jesus..

Pretty sure IO did fine. Sheffield and even Miller got tested way more vs Miami. Their UDFA kid Preston made some great catches and Sheffield was getting dashed on by some guys from not getting his head turned on a couple plays; but ignored at least he was in good position.

Definitely confused on WR and RB depth being under Bad lol

Where was this bad game from Oliver? The only bad play he has was the PI? What was so terrible about his game outside of that. He wasn’t even targeted but the one time when he got the penalty. So how was his game bad? Are ppl confusing Sheffield with Oliver because he wears Oliver’s old number? Oliver is 26 now. 

4 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Where was this bad game from Oliver? The only bad play he has was the PI? What was so terrible about his game outside of that. He wasn’t even targeted but the one time when he got the penalty. So how was his game bad? Are ppl confusing Sheffield with Oliver because he wears Oliver’s old number? Oliver is 26 now. 

tbf, even Matt and Julio look the same when in uniform; I mean other than their jersey number...or position they play...or how fast they can run or how tall...

But their nameplate saying Ryan and Jones tho...Well umm... never mind

8 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

This is what I think because it happened to me lol when #82 was going off I said geez Oliver looks like dung and my buddy reminded me they swapped numbers

Good:

WRs & Depth - Gage has locked in the #5 and may even push Hardy down to that spot and take the #4. #17 has been making noise and should land the #6 spot unless Marcus Green comes in hot once he recovers.

Schaub - Got a lot of flack from everyone for the HOF game. 10000x improvement this week. That's more of the type of performance you expect from a 76 year old QB who has been in the league since WW1.

Ollison - Another much better performance than the HOF game. Give us a fight for the #3/4 spot between Hill, Barner and Olli. Barner also had a beauty screen play go for nearly a 50 yard TD.

Lindstrom - Did not pay a huge amount of attention to the O-line but for the most part Schaub had plenty of time and whenever I did look at Lindstrom he was holding his own vs another 1st rounder in Wilkins.

Grace - Another week, another stellar performance. Go ahead and cut Riley now. This kid can ball.

Bethune - Not as good as the HOF game but still seems to be solid. We need depth at LB spots so 2 bright spots from young guys in that position group is a huge bonus

Takk - Man was possessed. Even destroyed his own guy on what should have been a sack. Don't think 1 play went by that he was not in the backfield.

Bad:

The Refs - Too many ticky tack calls. I know it's preseason but my god. Every 3rd down for one of their TD drives was extended by a penalty.

Beasley - Still awful but better performance than the HOF Game.

Oliver - He has to be better if he is going to be the starting #2. Got beat far too often by camp level WRs.

Ugly:

Entire Secondary - Bad all around. They let an undrafted tree trunk embarrass them all night long.

Harlow - is this guy cut yet? Yikes.

Worton - Again, is this guy cut yet? He has to lace his hands up with butter as an NFL pre-game tradition. its the only explanation for a guy that made it to to the NFL as a WR yet can't catch a cold. Its a shame they gave #7 to this guy.

Another Loss - Yeah I know its preseason blah blah blah. But we should have won both and we lost both. Simple mistakes that could transition to the regular season.

Edited by PriMeTiiMe