lju713

Gage looks better than Hardy. Should be the 4th

48 posts in this topic

Trust me I know Hardy is a vet and was drafted by us. TD is loyal to his picks, but Russell Gage looks ready for business. We knew he was a athlete, but now he is becoming a better WR. He showed glimpse last season, and it has transitioned to the preseason . He is a gunner on ST, and is bigger,faster,and has more big play potential than Hardy. Thoughts?

Emmitt, Cole World, g-dawg and 2 others like this

Just now, caponine said:

He'll be the 3rd after Sanu most likely leaves after this season. 

Right. If we don't draft or sign his replacement...meaning a big possession type WR

1 minute ago, Artys Arryn said:

Agreed. I think the thing that really separates Hardy and Gage is that Gage has a lot more big play potential. Hardy has good hands but has never really been effective at taking the top off. Gage is our 4.

If Hardy was 6'2 210 he would be perfect. But 5'10 192 and slow, but great hands isn't the combo we need him to be

Dr Long Shot likes this

The future is bright at our WR spot. Love Sanu and open to him staying next season, but the prospect of having Julio, Calvin and Gage as top 3 if he goes is comforting. Hopefully Hooper takes a step forward this season so Ryan has a 3rd down big body when he needs it outside of Sanu.

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, jfalconsp said:

The future is bright at our WR spot. Love Sanu and open to him staying next season, but the prospect of having Julio, Calvin and Gage as top 3 if he goes is comforting. Hopefully Hooper takes a step forward this season so Ryan has a 3rd down big body when he needs it outside of Sanu.

Thats very true. If we let Sanu go next season(very likely) I wouldn't be mad with Ruggs III or Reagor in the 2nd round. I hope we have a eye on Justyn Ross from Clemson in the 2021 draft was a potential JJ replacement....he is a JJ clone

Edited by lju713

Yeah, might be some things we don't see- missed blocking assignments, bad routes- that might mean Gage isn't ahead of Hardy, but everything we've seen looks really good.

When you play out your first contract, test free agency and come back for vet minimum, your job isn't secure. Bad timing for Hardy, he has value, and if he'd been drafted in 2007, might have been used a lot more. Too many other options on the team now.

PokerSteve and Tim Mazetti like this

45 minutes ago, lju713 said:

Trust me I know Hardy is a vet and was drafted by us. TD is loyal to his picks, but Russell Gage looks ready for business. We knew he was a athlete, but now he is becoming a better WR. He showed glimpse last season, and it has transitioned to the preseason . He is a gunner on ST, and is bigger,faster,and has more big play potential than Hardy. Thoughts?

He is better but they are actually the same size. Both are listed at 6' 185

Posted (edited)

I think Gage and Hardy are locks.   Hardy would back up Sanu/Cal (slot) while Gage would back up Julio/Cal (outside).   Both have plus value on ST.  I think we will carry 6 receivers:

1. Julio
  2. Cal
  3. Sanu
  4. Gage
  5. Hardy
  6. Green, Zaccheaus, Blake and Gray.

Green's been the least impressive but he comes with a strong ST skillset  and ability to be a decent depth receiver but his first outing was not the best first impression.   Being a draft pick I think helps a bit .  Zacc has been most impressive overall and he has some return ability but so far has just a muff in that regard.  Blake has looked great as a receiver but looks like just a guy on ST.  Gray is similar but has flashed less and made a couple more mistakes with the cameras rolling.

Edited by Monolith2001
Chaz, vitaman and Geneaut like this

This is really two totally different types of receivers.  Hardy is more like Sanu in being the disciplined receiver who follows his routes exactly and would be important for a 3rd down conversion.  Gage is instead the flashy deep threat important for a first down surprise or 3rd and long situation.

I see us keeping Gage and Hardy, more like a WR4A and WR4B than a WR4 and WR5.  We will then try to stuff 2 of the young ones on the PS.

I don't claim to be anything even close to a 'draft' guy but for some reason when we drafted Gage I said immediately he was a good pick.

And I agree with OP; it's a tough business, but Gage's potential is way better than what Hardy brings.  If it comes down to either/or, I know which man I want on the team. 

Cole World, Tim Mazetti and Vandy like this

1 hour ago, Artys Arryn said:

Agreed. I think the thing that really separates Hardy and Gage is that Gage has a lot more big play potential. Hardy has good hands but has never really been effective at taking the top off. Gage is our 4.

This.  I love how dependable Hardy's hands are. He doesn't drop anything, but Gage has playmaker ability.

35 minutes ago, ltstorm2 said:

This.  I love how dependable Hardy's hands are. He doesn't drop anything, but Gage has playmaker ability.

What good are hands when you can't get separation?  That has always been Hardy's weakness. He'll catch it, but he can't have a defender close on him.

I agree about Gage's playmaking ability, that in itself is why I'll take him over Hardy.

ya_boi_j likes this

40 minutes ago, ltstorm2 said:

And also seems to have reliable hands as well

Posted (edited)

You know what's funny? Even without Julio (i know, i know blasphemy) most franchises (Dallas for one) would LOVE to have a rotation like Sanu, Ridley & Gage. Making Julio the highest paid receiver is a honestly a fashion statement imo. It's what rich people do when they buy wildly expensive things simply because only they and a few others can afford them lol. If this was Madden I'd trade Julio for Ramsey in a heartbeat. Especially with what we're about to pay him. But back to the topic at hand Hardy had a low ceiling coming in and honestly Gage should be at the #4 spot like NOW.

Edited by Hurry_Up_And_Buy

1 hour ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

And also seems to have reliable hands as well

Yeah, I was thinking this also even with some receptions that were not easy to make.  I'd love to see that continue into the regular season.  A playmaker with good hands? Yes please.

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

1 hour ago, Statick said:

What good are hands when you can't get separation?  That has always been Hardy's weakness. He'll catch it, but he can't have a defender close on him.

I agree about Gage's playmaking ability, that in itself is why I'll take him over Hardy.

I mean that is my point.   Although he does have a ton of contested catches BECAUSE he doesn't get separation.  The only big play that comes to memory would be against Patrick Peterson a few years ago.