Jump to content

Ultimate X’s and O’x thread


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, vel said:

This is one of my favorite coverages. Force the offense to win with three men out in routes and the QB with pressure in his lap. If not for a heIl of a play by both Rosen and Williams, this is a sack or third down stop. 

I agree with you.  Thats a nice coverage. Quinn is doing some things.  Its suppose to be vanilla but I'm seeing middle of the season stuff...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not X's and O's, but a picture I saw on the Vikings page regarding their signing of Josh Doctson. Naturally, it's a pic including our very own Isaiah Oliver: I know we have some fans who hav

Players, not plays.  Brilliant schemes are great, but football is still elemental.  You still gotta be able to whip the man in front of you.

Makes me think of the hit Debo put down against Detroit. If it were Debo and he makes the catch that's what we see.

3 minutes ago, vel said:

This is a prime example of understanding what pre-season is. Parker Baldwin is not Keanu Neal. He's not making the roster. Yet, he's blown off the ball 9 yards and is the reason for the massive gain.

THIS is a teaching lesson.  This is for Beasley, Takk, Neal and anybody else who is gonna be in that very position when the season starts.  You just know New Orleans is gonna test Beasley and Takk in the open space.  This play is the perfect teaching tool for Quinn and the linebacker coach...

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

I agree with you.  Thats a nice coverage. Quinn is doing some things.  Its suppose to be vanilla but I'm seeing middle of the season stuff...

It's vanilla but it's hard to hide a high pressure, multi front man scheme. It's totally different than last year's group that just sat at their landmarks and took their licks. 

3 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

THIS is a teaching lesson.  This is for Beasley, Takk, Neal and anybody else who is gonna be in that very position when the season starts.  You just know New Orleans is gonna test Beasley and Takk in the open space.  This play is the perfect teaching tool for Quinn and the linebacker coach...

Exactly. Let them learn from Baldwin getting his as beat on that play. The importance of setting a strong edge and the result if you don't. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, vel said:

This is a prime example of understanding what pre-season is. Parker Baldwin is not Keanu Neal. He's not making the roster. Yet, he's blown off the ball 9 yards and is the reason for the massive gain.

Its also exactly why Grace has a hard time making the team as well. He reads the play but does nothing about it. He is put on skates for 5 yards. Debo he is not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, vel said:

It's vanilla but it's hard to hide a high pressure, multi front man scheme. It's totally different than last year's group that just sat at their landmarks and took their licks. 

Exactly. Let them learn from Baldwin getting his as beat on that play. The importance of setting a strong edge and the result if you don't. 

Exactly.  Its very aggressive.  The Falcons are gonna make big plays and give up big plays on defense.  The main thing is they are not gonna just sit back and let teams march down the field on them like they have been doing...

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, runshoot said:

Its also exactly why Grace has a hard time making the team as well. He reads the play but does nothing about it. He is put on skates for 5 yards. Debo he is not.

Yea....naw. Grace is better than Duke outright. Grace made the 53 his first time here. Debo gets put on skates like that every now and then. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, vel said:

This is a prime example of understanding what pre-season is. Parker Baldwin is not Keanu Neal. He's not making the roster. Yet, he's blown off the ball 9 yards and is the reason for the massive gain.

I can’t tell the numbers on the jersey, but a RT on a free release should manhandle a strong safety on this play.  Doesn’t appear that Baldwin had a chance.  

My issue is the TE pushing around Duke (I think it’s Duke).  Riley needs to shed the TE to set the edge and push the play back inside.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slickgadawg said:

Here is a weird one.  Nothing vanilla about this. Quinn does FOUR things here.  Up front he is playing two guys in the dirt. ( he did this numerous times through out the game).  One of the ends stands up and replaces the OLB on the weakside and nearly gets the sack.  The strong safety is up covering the slot. The Mikes Blitz.  Kazee is down covering the hook area and the free safety is deep.  Its man in the secondary. THIS is a wild one.  I have to look into what the call was here:

Animated GIF

I noticed one other thing that needs to be pointed out.  This was a CONTROLLED blitz by the Mikes. One of the Mikes recognized the running back was coming out late on a hot read, so he stopped his blitz and covered him.  There was a lot going on with this play...

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I can’t tell the numbers on the jersey, but a RT on a free release should manhandle a strong safety on this play.  Doesn’t appear that Baldwin had a chance.  

My issue is the TE pushing around Duke (I think it’s Duke).  Riley needs to shed the TE to set the edge and push the play back inside.

You got it mixed up. Grace was head up with the RT, which is why I'm not surprised he got bullied. Like you said, that's not a good match up. The TE is bullying Baldwin. He set a soft edge and paid for it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I can’t tell the numbers on the jersey, but a RT on a free release should manhandle a strong safety on this play.  Doesn’t appear that Baldwin had a chance.  

My issue is the TE pushing around Duke (I think it’s Duke).  Riley needs to shed the TE to set the edge and push the play back inside.

Riley didn't play a snap last night, according to NFL.com.

 

https://nflcdns.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/57844/MIA_Gamebook.pdf

Snap counts are on page 19 of the PDF.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

Against the Dolphins, Quinn added a little more to his base 3-4 scheme.  Here is another version of his nickel.  He brings Kazee in on this 3rd down play.  The Falcons are in their 3-4 with cover 1 man  with the strong safety up covering the x receiver.  You have 1 OLB rushing from the weak side. Both Mikes are up at their gaps.  They both fake the blitz and drop back to cover the hook and slant area.  The fake blitz took away any hot routes allowing the outside linebacker to get the sack:

 

Animated GIF

63 missed his assignment. There was a guy running free. Thank God the pressure got there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NWFALCON said:

63 missed his assignment. There was a guy running free. Thank God the pressure got there. 

That was actually on #33 Blidi Wreh. You see Kazee shift out to take the motion WR but Blidi stays with him anyway, making it a double team. Blidi was supposed to switch off his guy to the inside guy that Kazee dropped from but didn't. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

I have to disagree.  What you are saying is true because of the " copycat " element of coaching but from a play style, I still prefer either a running game or a balanced attack.  Baltimore and San Francisco under Harbaugh got to the Superbowl with ground and pound offenses that could throw the ball when necessary.  In fact, as great as the Falcon offense has been, that offense would score soo quick that the defense would be out there for a long time and is known for giving up big leads ever since Quinn became head coach.  This difference in opinion on passing offenses vs ball control offenses started back with Buddy Ryan straight right crossing Gilbride on national tv back in the 90s...:lol:  Gilbride was trying to run the score up and not let Ryan's defense get a break...

in FACT, thats the year that Houston blew that 35-3 lead in the playoffs...:lol:

"  run the ball, you killing my defense "

Image result for buddy ryan kevin gilbride gif

 

Oh my. Learn something new everyday 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, slickgadawg said:

I believe the Mikes were playing zone. He let him go for the safety to pick up.

Just seemed odd to have two guys that close together in a zone as a guy runs deep past one and open near the 20 at the top of the screen. 

I watched It a few more times and there does seem to be some confusion at the bottom between the DBs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, runshoot said:

Its also exactly why Grace has a hard time making the team as well. He reads the play but does nothing about it. He is put on skates for 5 yards. Debo he is not. 

Who is? Come on, man....how fair of a comparison is that? 

He may not be Debo, but the Dukey he is not as well. :ninja:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NWFALCON said:

Just seemed odd to have two guys that close together in a zone as a guy runs deep past one and open near the 20 at the top of the screen. 

I watched It a few more times and there does seem to be some confusion at the bottom between the DBs. 

I might be looking at the wrong receiver.  Hard to see on my phone. I'll get back with you...

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Who is? Come on, man....how fair of a comparison is that? 

The Dukey he is not as well. :ninja:

 

 

2 hours ago, vel said:

Yea....naw. Grace is better than Duke outright. Grace made the 53 his first time here. Debo gets put on skates like that every now and then. 

Grace has been on 3 teams in 3 years with only 3 tackles total for a career. Get out of your "feels" and understand that he isn't making football teams for a reason. Being on skates 5 yards backwards is one of those reasons.

I didnt mention Duke, but both of you did. I hate Duke too, he is super horrible. But we aren't talking about Duke.

Yes Debo isnt a fair comparison, but that is the position he manned on the field.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, runshoot said:

 

Grace has been on 3 teams in 3 years with only 3 tackles total for a career. Get out of your "feels" and understand that he isn't making football teams for a reason. Being on skates 5 yards backwards is one of those reasons.

I didnt mention Duke, but both of you did. I hate Duke too, he is super horrible. But we aren't talking about Duke.

Yes Debo isnt a fair comparison, but that is the position he manned on the field.

 

As his backup. Grace has never been given a fair opp by Quinn, he outplayed Riley all TC in 2017 as well as this one.

And we all have “our feels”, including you. Your silly comparison of him to Debo came out of that.

And sadly, we do have to discuss Duke when bringing up grace. Did you see how awful Duke was at MLB when Debo went out last year? Grace is an upgrade there for depth. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...