Ultimate X’s and O’x thread

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not X's and O's, but a picture I saw on the Vikings page regarding their signing of Josh Doctson. Naturally, it's a pic including our very own Isaiah Oliver: I know we have some fans who hav

Players, not plays.  Brilliant schemes are great, but football is still elemental.  You still gotta be able to whip the man in front of you.

Makes me think of the hit Debo put down against Detroit. If it were Debo and he makes the catch that's what we see.

I've really enjoyed the defensive play calling this preseason.  

Last week against the Jets, 3th down, offense in plus territory.  Quinn shows that Double-A look... :lol: and doesn't even attempt to disguise anything.  No one on the middle of the field means it's six coming all the way.  DQ brings the house and those drag routes don't have time to develop.

giphy.gif

Last night.  Offense again in plus territory (right around the green zone).  Another Double-A look.  This time the two backers drop.  Can't tell if we were in a sort of double buzz look underneath with the backers or if it was a lurk call and Carter just lost sight of the back leaking out.  Any rate, great play.  Great call, and eww what a quick move by Clay.  That hit on Keenum looked like it loosened up some bowels, good lord.

giphy.gif

6 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I've really enjoyed the defensive play calling this preseason.  

Last week against the Jets, 3th down, offense in plus territory.  Quinn shows that Double-A look... :lol: and doesn't even attempt to disguise anything.  No one on the middle of the field means it's six coming all the way.  DQ brings the house and those drag routes don't have time to develop.

giphy.gif

Last night.  Offense again in plus territory (right around the green zone).  Another Double-A look.  This time the two backers drop.  Can't tell if we were in a sort of double buzz look underneath with the backers or if it was a lurk call and Carter just lost sight of the back leaking out.  Any rate, great play.  Great call, and eww what a quick move by Clay.  That hit on Keenum looked like it loosened up some bowels, good lord.

giphy.gif

This is what I've been hoping we see from Quinn. He's like Kyle but on defense. Show one thing and blitz, show the exact same thing a week later but drop in coverage. Makes teams stop to think later on throughout the season.

I loved those pressure looks. Stop giving the offense easy reads and just lining up. Make them play football too. 

Carter blowing that coverage was unfortunate. It's clearly cover one, with the LB playing the hole. This is another example of "Players not plays" coming in. The play call was right, but was busted because of Carter just being clueless. No way he doesn't identify that the RB is on his side. Even if he's got the hole, he has to think "How is Campbell going to play man if the RB goes the other way?" and make the adjustment. Luckily the pressure got there, but those are the kinds of plays where Debo makes the difference. You can't replace everything. 

23 minutes ago, vel said:

I loved those pressure looks. Stop giving the offense easy reads and just lining up. Make them play football too. 

Carter blowing that coverage was unfortunate. It's clearly cover one, with the LB playing the hole. This is another example of "Players not plays" coming in. The play call was right, but was busted because of Carter just being clueless. No way he doesn't identify that the RB is on his side. Even if he's got the hole, he has to think "How is Campbell going to play man if the RB goes the other way?" and make the adjustment. Luckily the pressure got there, but those are the kinds of plays where Debo makes the difference. You can't replace everything. 

Makes me think of the hit Debo put down against Detroit. If it were Debo and he makes the catch that's what we see.

giphy.gif

Defense has been playing good but there are still a few detail issues that pop up.

This one really hurt my eyes.  I'm real big on gap control.  It takes no talent to properly fill your gaps.  You don't have to have a bunch of great players to play tough run defense.  It's discipline and effort.

Here, Grace, and he had a good game, but he didn't do his job here.  He's supposed to scrape to that B gap and cut that lane off.

IMG_1028

Instead, he tries to go under the block and winds up getting pinned inside by the guard and you wind up with multiple players manning the same gap with is a no-no.

Bailey, also didn't do the play any favors.  He got lined up late (not totally his fault), but then he tries to jump in a gap, and it being a weak-zone run, the gap moved on him and he wound up getting turned.  If you're the Redskins, you couldn't have asked for a better outcome.

IMG_1029

Grace also had another one of these in the game where he went under a block and gave up some yards.  If you're a linebacker, you can't go under blocks, you can't try to dodge.  You gotta take that guard on, keeping your outside arm free -- in this case Grace should have struck the blocker's left shoulder, instead he got greedy and tried to make a play in a gap that wasn't his.  Little things.  It's all about the little things.  It's not complexity that makes a great defense; it's doing the little things like this.

giphy.gif

22 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Defense has been playing good but there are still a few detail issues that pop up.

This one really hurt my eyes.  I'm real big on gap control.  It takes no talent to properly fill your gaps.  You don't have to have a bunch of great players to play tough run defense.  It's discipline and effort.

Here, Grace, and he had a good game, but he didn't do his job here.  He's supposed to scrape to that B gap and cut that lane off.

IMG_1028

Instead, he tries to go under the block and winds up getting pinned inside by the guard and you wind up with multiple players manning the same gap with is a no-no.

Bailey, also didn't do the play any favors.  He got lined up late (not totally his fault), but then he tries to jump in a gap, and it being a weak-zone run, the gap moved on him and he wound up getting turned.  If you're the Redskins, you couldn't have asked for a better outcome.

IMG_1029

Grace also had another one of these in the game where he went under a block and gave up some yards.  If you're a linebacker, you can't go under blocks, you can't try to dodge.  You gotta take that guard on, keeping your outside arm free -- in this case Grace should have struck the blocker's left shoulder, instead he got greedy and tried to make a play in a gap that wasn't his.  Little things.  It's all about the little things.  It's not complexity that makes a great defense; it's doing the little things like this.

giphy.gif

In before 1970 blames this on Oliver somehow.

But in all seriousness it was disappointing to see that during the game. What do you use to rewatch the games? I'd like to be able to.

I'm glad you broke this play down. This was one I was going to do this weekend but didn't have time. Grace had this happen a couple of times. You can see he gets locked in pre-snap but doesn't adjust. After the motion, he should have shifted him and Duke over. Then, like you said, he tries to scrape under the OL for no reason and is now blocked. Gap integrity man. It's not sexy, but it's vital. Can't have little mistakes. That's 20 yards because he just didn't do his job. 

I slightly disagree on Bailey though. Even though he was late, he man handles the backside A gap, essentially forcing the RB front side. You see Duke essentially switch gaps with him on the fly. That was never Bailey's play to make, but if Grace scrapes over top correctly, Duke is there, bringing his block into where that gap would have been. 

36 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

In before 1970 blames this on Oliver somehow.

But in all seriousness it was disappointing to see that during the game. What do you use to rewatch the games? I'd like to be able to.

Oh that was straight off my DVR man. Shouts out to the Falcons sports network. They had a couple of really good angles going this game.

6 minutes ago, vel said:

I'm glad you broke this play down. This was one I was going to do this weekend but didn't have time. Grace had this happen a couple of times. You can see he gets locked in pre-snap but doesn't adjust. After the motion, he should have shifted him and Duke over. Then, like you said, he tries to scrape under the OL for no reason and is now blocked. Gap integrity man. It's not sexy, but it's vital. Can't have little mistakes. That's 20 yards because he just didn't do his job. 

I slightly disagree on Bailey though. Even though he was late, he man handles the backside A gap, essentially forcing the RB front side. You see Duke essentially switch gaps with him on the fly. That was never Bailey's play to make, but if Grace scrapes over top correctly, Duke is there, bringing his block into where that gap would have been. 

Oh I’m not dinging Bailey too bad here. Looks like they made the strength call too late which is why it looked like he was moving at the snap. He did handle his guy but he wrong-armed it. He wound up backside A where he should have been in playside.

That’s probably partially why Grace tried to go under that block, but he’s gotta know he’s still gotta do his job and trust his help. As you said Duke was bringing his man to squeeze that lane.

I’d have loved to have been in the film room the next day to see how he graded out because he made some plays but it’s this little stuff like this that’s keeping him from a bigger role.

Just now, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Oh that was straight off my DVR man. Shouts out to the Falcons sports network. They had a couple of really good angles going this game.

Oh I’m not dinging Bailey too bad here. Looks like they made the strength call too late which is why it looked like he was moving at the snap. He did handle his guy but he wrong-armed it. He wound up backside A where he should have been in playside.

That’s probably partially why Grace tried to go under that block, but he’s gotta know he’s still gotta do his job and trust his help. As you said Duke was bringing his man to squeeze that lane.

I’d have loved to have been in the film room the next day to see how he graded out because he made some plays but it’s this little stuff like this that’s keeping him from a bigger role.

Yep. Like you said, he's making the big plays but it's the little ones that he's missing. But give me the guy who's making the plays he's making. You can't develop that as easily as you can run fits. 

I think that is one of Quinn's "Players not Plays", Grace thought he could make a play and got caught red-handed. Deion has been guilty of this too. He just is right more often than not. I think one of them was the Philly game last year were he tried to go under the block and the RB went outside for the TD. 

23 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

IMG_1028

IMG_1029

giphy.gif

Very good breakdown. Did Bailey's mess up allow the right guard to get to the second level and effect Riley who got knocked off the play? You couldn't have picked a better play to show how the run defense is suppose to work.  Very good play...

On 8/26/2019 at 2:24 PM, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

IMG_1028

giphy.gif

My bad, thats Crawford in front of Riley.  Crawford was the guy who allowed the tackle to get to the second level?

1 hour ago, slickgadawg said:

Very good breakdown. Did Bailey's mess up allow the right guard to get to the second level and effect Riley who got knocked off the play? You couldn't have picked a better play to show how the run defense is suppose to work.  Very good play...

No.  Bailey was supposed to get that play side A-gap.  He wouldn't have had any effect on the guard.  Guard is just being a football player getting to Duke on that play.

But like @vel pointed out, Riley was bringing his blocker to that gap.  That's a really good play by Duke to adjust on the fly like that, which you sometimes have to do as a linebacker.

(Digressing here for a moment) Kinda reminds me of the Titans years ago when Jim Schwartz was coordinating them and he talked about how Albert Haynesworth just had the hardest time hitting his gaps consistently.  He just wanted to improvise and make plays, so they pretty much just turned him loose and told Keith Bullck -- one of the forgotten, really excellent WILL linebackers -- that his job was to make Haynesworth right.

Whatever Fat Albert did, Bulluck had to play off him and adjust gaps on the fly.  And he was smart enough and had enough feel for the game that you could put that on him.

Just now, slickgadawg said:

My bad, thats Crawford in front of Riley.  Crawford was the guy who allowed the tackle to get to the second level?

In the strictest technical sense, yeah, but that zone play, o-line coaches want that guard to get to the second level.  In a perfect world, they want those guards getting on top of those linebackers.

Conversely, that's one of the reasons you want your linebackers to read fast and come downhill right now.  The faster the linebacker comes downhill, the quicker that guard has to come off that double-team.  The faster the guard comes off that double team, then now that tackle is playing one-on-one.  

You can almost see in that gif in slo-mo, the guard just almost gave Crawfish a cursory "block".  He barely nudged him before getting out there to Duke.  

This is one of those plays where it works out like that because of the design of the play and the alignment of the front.  If Craw had been in a 1-tech, that guard can't get out there.  So, it's one of those chess matches that goes on during the games.  Coaches are always looking at the fronts and then coming up with counter runs to create numbers in their favor.

2 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

In the strictest technical sense, yeah, but that zone play, o-line coaches want that guard to get to the second level.  In a perfect world, they want those guards getting on top of those linebackers.

Conversely, that's one of the reasons you want your linebackers to read fast and come downhill right now.  The faster the linebacker comes downhill, the quicker that guard has to come off that double-team.  The faster the guard comes off that double team, then now that tackle is playing one-on-one.  

You can almost see in that gif in slo-mo, the guard just almost gave Crawfish a cursory "block".  He barely nudged him before getting out there to Duke.  

This is one of those plays where it works out like that because of the design of the play and the alignment of the front.  If Craw had been in a 1-tech, that guard can't get out there.  So, it's one of those chess matches that goes on during the games.  Coaches are always looking at the fronts and then coming up with counter runs to create numbers in their favor.

Very good breakdown.  You even beat me to my next question, the technique that Crawford was playing.  I knew that had a effect on the play also but I'm not familiar with what techniques they are suppose to be playing when they got two hands in the ground on the defensive line in that alignment.  Regardless, I can see the chess match that you are talking about.  Its those little things that you and @vel keep pointing out that can make or break a defense. 

I honestly believe that one of the major reasons Quinn shifted to his 3-4 scheme in the first place is to take further advantage of the speed of his defensive front,  particularly linebackers, but its a give and take.  This scheme can cause havoc or it can be beat badly.  I've said over and over that I believe the defense is gonna look like the Legion of Doom on one play, and look like the 1976 Tampa Bay Buccaneers on the next because its those little things you guys are pointing out that have to be done with precision over and over...

8 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Said what I was gonna say, just more technical lol

That's the thing about zone runs. One or two false steps from the defense and it's a big play. Crawford didn't "allow" anything per se. He kept his gap, the flow of the play prevented him from keeping his LB clean. It stresses moving gap integrity. 

1 minute ago, slickgadawg said:

Very good breakdown.  You even beat me to my next question, the technique that Crawford was playing.  I knew that had a effect on the play also but I'm not familiar with what techniques they are suppose to be playing when they got two hands in the ground on the defensive line in that alignment.  Regardless, I can see the chess match that you are talking about.  Its those little things that you and @vel keep pointing out that can make or break a defense. 

I honestly believe that one of the major reasons Quinn shifted to his 3-4 scheme in the first place is to take further advantage of the speed of his defensive front,  particularly linebackers, but its a give and take.  This scheme can cause havoc or it can be beat badly.  I've said over and over that I believe the defense is gonna look like the Legion of Doom on one play, and look like the 1976 Tampa Bay Buccaneers on the next because its those little things you guys are pointing out that have to be done with precision over and over...

We haven't shifted schemes.  He's just letting guys stand up a little more.  We're still playing the exact same stuff; same responsibilities and everything.

We were in an Over Front there, which means the 3-technique is aligned to the strong side of the offensive formation (usually wherever the Tight End is).  Crawford was playing the 3-technique there which is align outside shoulder of the guard.  Because that run was to the offense's weak side, the guard didn't have to worry about Craw.  Now if Craw was in the 1 technique, which would have him aligned to the outside shoulder of the center, then he would have been right in the path of the guard and the guard wouldn't have been able to release so freely.