Spts1

Ultimate X’s and O’x thread

522 posts in this topic

On 8/3/2019 at 8:23 AM, slickgadawg said:

I went back and looked at some tape.  His line appear to be still using the 4-3 under techniques.  One tackle playing two gap 4 technique.  Nose playing two gap 1 technique and the other tackle playing 3 tech.  These do change.

Animated GIF

In the diagram below, the techniques are different but the linebacker assignment is basically the same.  Your outside linebackers have contain on run and pass rush in passing situations. On running plays your Mikes have Fill and Scrape duty. ( Fill gaps and Scrape the runner back inside).  On passing plays the Mikes match up against the tight end and running backs. 

The example in the Falcon play above shows this.  Quinn is running a 3-4 under with man behind it in a cover 1.  He is playing a nickel.  The Free Safety backpedals to his spot on the hash. The mikes pick up the running back and tight end, man by the corners.  Its a very aggressive defense because you essentially can have 5 people coming at the qb in pass rush at any time. He can move the linebackers around and overload a gap. (  A specialty of Todd Bowles and Rex Ryan).

Diagram of 3-4 Under. Courtesy of Matt Bowen [BleacherReport].

In before ya boi j is a #$:;.

Ooops way late!

On 8/5/2019 at 2:49 PM, Max Force said:

But do we have the men for 3-4?

They do.  Quinn's 4-3 defense features lighter quicker players upfront...

4 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

They do.  Quinn's 4-3 defense features lighter quicker players upfront...

Do you think that’s a recipe for success or do you think more 3-4/5-2 looks will serve better?

4 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Do you think that’s a recipe for success or do you think more 3-4/5-2 looks will serve better?

Because of the versatility of the players that Quinn drafts, he can switch between every one of those looks at any given time and be successful.  The difference is him doing it MORE this season...

Just now, slickgadawg said:

Because of the versatility of the players that Quinn drafts, he can switch between every one of those looks at any given time and be successful.  The difference is him doing it MORE this season...

Do you think Vic is on the field more in pure 4-3 or does he use Clayborn and Takk more. Also I’m wondering how they plan to use Bailey primarily. 

3 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Do you think Vic is on the field more in pure 4-3 or does he use Clayborn and Takk more. Also I’m wondering how they plan to use Bailey primarily. 

I think they MIGHT try to use Bailey inside as their " pass rushing "  3 technique tackle and leave both Vic and Takk on the ends in the 4-3 look. Clayborn would rotate with Bailey.  Its something to look at in tomorrow's game...

1 minute ago, slickgadawg said:

I think they MIGHT try to use Bailey inside as their " pass rushing "  3 technique tackle and leave both Vic and Takk on the ends in the 4-3 look. Clayborn would rotate with Bailey.  Its something to look at in tomorrow's game...

I doubt they show it tomorrow tbh. Always stay vanilla in preseason.

ya_boi_j, Vandy and RING OF HONOR like this

9 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

I doubt it would be tomorrow. It’s usually game 3 when they draw up a minor gameplan. Shall see in a month

RING OF HONOR and TheFatboi like this

On 8/5/2019 at 6:48 PM, caponine said:

Well we hope so , this defense has to show it first. They are so up and down , and inconsistent. 

No they were injured. Before last year the defense was trending up. Made improvements in each year quinn was here including top 10 in 17. And then last year happened. No doubt the finish top 10 again. Maybe too 5 had they stayed healthy. 

2 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

They’re using that 5-2 or Bear front. That’s when I think you’ll see Clay, Takk, and Beasley the most. Beasley seems to be playing pure end from what I’ve seen. 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB. Clay May play some DE in 3-4 like he did in NE with Beasley standing up. From what I’ve heard Bailey say he’ll be playing big end and Little nickel. 

ya_boi_j, Spts1, Ovie_Lover and 4 others like this

38 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

They’re using that 5-2 or Bear front. That’s when I think you’ll see Clay, Takk, and Beasley the most. Beasley seems to be playing pure end from what I’ve seen. 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB. Clay May play some DE in 3-4 like he did in NE with Beasley standing up. From what I’ve heard Bailey say he’ll be playing big end and Little nickel. 

one things for sure, that front line is built to stop the run for sure. hopefully Beasley, takk and grady do their part to get to the passer while the others chip in lightly. if Crawford can repeat or come close to last years production that's a win in itself

54 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

We got options really

Beasley, Takk, Clay, John, Campbell can all rush outside/play outside for the run

Allen, John, Grady, Jack, Senat, Davison can all rush from the inside/stop the run depending on the player.

I think we see a lot of 5-2 with 5 man rushes and cover 1 man behind it

13 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

We got options really

Beasley, Takk, Clay, John, Campbell can all rush outside/play outside for the run

Allen, John, Grady, Jack, Senat, Davison can all rush from the inside/stop the run depending on the player.

I think we see a lot of 5-2 with 5 man rushes and cover 1 man behind it

Maybe finally we’ll get the DQ we thought we were getting...with a scheme geared to aggressively attack the offense instead of passively staying back and being dictated to. 

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Maybe finally we’ll get the DQ we thought we were getting...with a scheme geared to aggressively attack the offense instead of passively staying back and being dictated to. 

Wishing upon a star. Been wanting this going on two decades now.

16 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Yep. Master gameplanner. Creative schemes/designs. Aggressive play style. All of that is coming. That's just who he is as a coach. Every player he coached in Seattle has said. Even coaches he coached with. My body is ready. 

5 minutes ago, vel said:

Yep. Master gameplanner. Creative schemes/designs. Aggressive play style. All of that is coming. That's just who he is as a coach. Every player he coached in Seattle has said. Even coaches he coached with. My body is ready. 

Mine too my friend.

We all saw a glimpse of what that could be with pretty much a bunch of wet-behind-the-ears younger players 2nd half of 2016....now those rookies are seasoned vets....should be an exciting year. 

raysnill1, ShadyRef, vel and 2 others like this

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Mine too my friend.

We all saw a glimpse of what that could be with pretty much a bunch of young wet-behind-the-ear players 2nd half of 2016....now those rookies are seasoned vets....should be an exciting year. 

In a bump and run man we could see the best Trufant we've had

9 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

I think so too. Folks in here forget he was having an all-pro caliber season in 2016 before he got injured, little bro.

http://draftcentric.weebly.com/latest-articles/why-desmond-trufant-holds-crown-as-best-cornerback-in-nfl-entering-2016

22 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Mine too my friend.

We all saw a glimpse of what that could be with pretty much a bunch of wet-behind-the-ears younger players 2nd half of 2016....now those rookies are seasoned vets....should be an exciting year. 

19 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Both of these. We saw what DQ can drum up when he's behind the wheel's. That's why he got hired. And he's got a glut of talent, way more than 2016. He should be chomping at the bit for September. 

Also, I'm so glad it looks like they are going towards a bump and run, man to man defense. Zone lends itself to relying on players being on all the time with each other, which works when you have hyper aggressive players like he had in Seattle. That's why Alford and Poole had to go and why a guy like Kazee could shine through the chaos. But more man let's that player tap into that old school mano e mano style of play and I can't wait. 

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

I think so too. Folks in here forget he was having an all-pro caliber season in 2016 before he got injured, little bro.

http://draftcentric.weebly.com/latest-articles/why-desmond-trufant-holds-crown-as-best-cornerback-in-nfl-entering-2016

I know Quinn likes that cover 3 but Trufant and Alford were cover corners.  I agree that Trufant should bounce back in this new scheme...

Ovie_Lover and Vandy like this

1 hour ago, vel said:

Both of these. We saw what DQ can drum up when he's behind the wheel's. That's why he got hired. And he's got a glut of talent, way more than 2016. He should be chomping at the bit for September. 

Also, I'm so glad it looks like they are going towards a bump and run, man to man defense. Zone lends itself to relying on players being on all the time with each other, which works when you have hyper aggressive players like he had in Seattle. That's why Alford and Poole had to go and why a guy like Kazee could shine through the chaos. But more man let's that player tap into that old school mano e mano style of play and I can't wait. 

No kidding, he's left the offense in the capable hands of 3 former HCs , Matt Ryan, and ,of course, the de facto QB coach, Matt Schaub. He really doesn't have to worry about that side of the ball.

The defense could be surprisingly good, with all the injured players back and some nice FA additions on the Dline . They're going to be fast and physical, might get gashed a few times for some runs, but that's balanced out by how they handle the pass.

This could finally be the year it all comes together and they get the trophy. Think about 2016 Ryan with a healthy Oline in the playoffs, with an experienced deep defense backing him up.

vel, Schwarzwald and Ovie_Lover like this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, vel said:

I agree.  Man allows you to be more aggressive.  Its a risk reward defense.  Sure, you gonna give up big plays here and there but its the chaos and turnovers you can make and dictating to the offense that I like about man coverages.  The Falcons have been letting teams come back on them since Quinn took over the defense.  I think he sees that and is gonna dictate to the offense now witht these new schemes and bring more heat in the 3rd and 4th quarters to negate the quarterbacks sitting back there and marching down the field with those short passes like they have in the past...

Late edit:  I meant to say the Falcons have been letting teams come back on them ever since Quinn became the head coach, not run the defense...

Edited by slickgadawg