Spts1

Ultimate X’s and O’x thread

522 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I went back and looked at some tape.  His line appear to be still using the 4-3 under techniques.  One tackle playing two gap 4 technique.  Nose playing two gap 1 technique and the other tackle playing 3 tech.  These do change.

Animated GIF

In the diagram below, the techniques are different but the linebacker assignment is basically the same.  Your outside linebackers have contain on run and pass rush in passing situations. On running plays your Mikes have Fill and Scrape duty. ( Fill gaps and Scrape the runner back inside).  On passing plays the Mikes match up against the tight end and running backs. 

The example in the Falcon play above shows this.  Quinn is running a 3-4 under with man behind it in a cover 1.  He is playing a nickel.  The Free Safety backpedals to his spot on the hash. The mikes pick up the running back and tight end, man by the corners.  Its a very aggressive defense because you essentially can have 5 people coming at the qb in pass rush at any time. He can move the linebackers around and overload a gap. (  A specialty of Todd Bowles and Rex Ryan).

Diagram of 3-4 Under. Courtesy of Matt Bowen [BleacherReport].

Edited by slickgadawg

In this play, Denver is in a two back set with two receivers.  Quinn has brought the strong safety down into the box.  First read is run, second read is the strong safety covers the fullback who clears him out with either a "V" or stop route for the halfback who runs a swing pattern.  Its actually a beautifully drawn up play by the Broncos.  What I'm seeing here is Quinn again is still running the 4-3 concept by bringing the strong safety into the box:

Animated GIF

Flyin' In DC and FalconsZone7 like this

1 hour ago, slickgadawg said:

I went back and looked at some tape.  His line appear to be still using the 4-3 under techniques.  One tackle playing two gap 4 technique.  Nose playing two gap 1 technique and the other tackle playing 3 tech.  These do change.

Animated GIF

In the diagram below, the techniques are different but the linebacker assignment is basically the same.  Your outside linebackers have contain on run and pass rush in passing situations. On running plays your Mikes have Fill and Scrape duty. ( Fill gaps and Scrape the runner back inside).  On passing plays the Mikes match up against the tight end and running backs. 

The example in the Falcon play above shows this.  Quinn is running a 3-4 under with man behind it in a cover 1.  He is playing a nickel.  The Free Safety backpedals to his spot on the hash. The mikes pick up the running back and tight end, man by the corners.  Its a very aggressive defense because you essentially can have 5 people coming at the qb in pass rush at any time. He can move the linebackers around and overload a gap. (  A specialty of Todd Bowles and Rex Ryan).

Good analysis.  Thanks.

Posted (edited)

Here Quinn again is in cover 1 with man by the corners.  He has the strong safety in the box. The "leo" linebacker has his hand in the ground.  Quinn is running a cover 1 nickel defense with the " leo " linebacker hand in the ground.  The strong safety picks up the running back.  One of the Mike's picks up the tight end.  The strong safety was out of position on this play because for some reason he initially covered the tight end.  Either I am misreading the assignment or the safety blew his assignment big time...

LATE EDIT:  I totally misread the coverage.  Quinn is running a mix of zone and man here.  If you look, the strong safety covered his zone and THEN drifted out late to get the running back.  The corners are playing man but the nickel back, mikes and strong safety are playing a inside zone...

Animated GIF

Edited by slickgadawg
ATLskinjob likes this

3 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

Animated GIF

I agree. The interesting part is how we now have a pretty good rotation of big base DEs. Cominsky played his responsibility well. Did Hageman play?

Schwarzwald, Spts1 and ATLskinjob like this

1 minute ago, atljbo said:

I've said this allllll summer... all the signs was there.....

Coach Quinn saying he would use Beasley and Takk in a different way.

Bob Sutton being brought in

Don’t forget about the signings. If I’m not mistaken Vandy was the first to point it out 

30 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

I agree. The interesting part is how we now have a pretty good rotation of big base DEs. Cominsky played his responsibility well. Did Hageman play?

He hurt his groin. I think It was on a play where he was doubled. He had zero burst and I started talking **** only to find out that he was hurt. 

Ovie_Lover and MSalmon like this

1 hour ago, MSalmon said:

I have to go back and see if he played...

2 hours ago, Yo_Lover said:

No one cares who was first. Just annoying having the same thread rehashed over and over and over then have a certain poster strut around like he's a genius. Calm down dude lol.

But that’s what TAFT is isn’t it I’m waiting for more Cap bashing and more Julio Hooper and Neal getting over paid type deal threads.

It is what it is.No disrespect when it comes to the OP and teaching moments but the my go to hasn’t been on here in months.

PMF where are you?

2 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

But that’s what TAFT is isn’t it I’m waiting for more Cap bashing and more Julio Hooper and Neal getting over paid type deal threads.

It is what it is.No disrespect when it comes to the OP and teaching moments but the my go to hasn’t been on here in months.

PMF where are you?

He’s one of the good ones that said **** this place. Probably come back when the season starts

Ovie_Lover, papachaz and PokerSteve like this

4 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

I’ve been working on a theory for quite some time regarding the way people respond to my posts compared to the way they respond to others. So far the analysis shows that what im thinking is pretty **** accurate. I need a little more data

In scientific terms it is called Confirmation bias, the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's preexisting beliefs or hypotheses.  You will likely confirm exactly what you thought you would find. 

Just now, ballfan said:

In scientific terms it is called Confirmation bias, the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's preexisting beliefs or hypotheses.  You will likely confirm exactly what you thought you would find. 

Appreciate that. I’ll note that. 

20 hours ago, Precyse said:

Who gives **** who was the first to call it out. Now we have plays to diagnose and see if we can be successful running the scheme. All that other **** is irrelevant. 

Going full time to the 3-4 would cause Duke Riley to lose out in this situation.  With both Tak and Beasley both being used as the outside linebackers, it appears Campbell and Jones will be the Mikes.  This is gonna be a fast linebacking corps...

4 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Going full time to the 3-4 would cause Duke Riley to lose out in this situation.  With both Tak and Beasley both being used as the outside linebackers, it appears Campbell and Jones will be the Mikes.  This is gonna be a fast linebacking corps...

We need to call them EDGE versus being called outside linebackers. Because campbell would still play Outside linebacker in that situation. Foye being one of the mikes inside. 

Spts1 likes this

9 minutes ago, GrimeyKidd said:

We need to call them EDGE versus being called outside linebackers. Because campbell would still play Outside linebacker in that situation. Foye being one of the mikes inside. 

Thanks for the correction. If Quinn is using BOTH Tak and Beasley as Edge linebackers, then how is Campbell gonna be deployed out there also?  I'm making my assumption based on Quinn saying Tak will be used as a linebacker also.